Dick Vitale. Love Him or Hate Him?

sports fan

How do you feel about Dick Vitale?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dick Vitale?

• LOVE games with Dick Vitale!
    • Don't care one way or the other...
    • Can't stand games with Dick Vitale!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes he's hard to listen to as an announcer but how could anyone hate this man. The amount he stuff he does for the Jimmy V foundation should make it impossible to hate him.

Agree...I think he is passionate about the game....just don't care to listen to him myself.

I used to like him but find him distracting now. With NCAA basketball all over the air waves now, there are many announcers who are better than him IMO. I also think he has some favorite schools, coaches (current and retired) and players that he panders to, and some others that he does not like. He screeches too much and pontificates as if he is God's gift to NCAA basketball. Having said this, I beieve he is a good man whose time has come and gone.

I honestly don't love or hate Vital but his act can get old quick. I remember a few years back someone emailed Lance McCallister about a game Vital called. He took note of all the names he dropped not associated with the game and it would have filled a reception hall. I believe it was close to 200 people.

Can't stand him. He takes away from the action on the court, and makes the game much less enjoyable to watch.

With that being said, no one can question his love for the game, passion, and the amazing amount of compassion and respect he has for the kids, coaches, fans, etc. Just can't stand him as an announcer.

I couldn't agree more on all points.

I love him if he's not calling a Duke game, because I think he has a serious man crush on Coach K. There is nothing wrong with really loving the game of basketball and he does. To me, College basketball will not be the same when he hangs it up.

:thumb: Good post.

As for the bolded, I think that "K" is a great coach as well but Vitale does go "all giddy:sssh:" when he is talking about him. :lol:

Sometimes he's hard to listen to as an announcer but how could anyone hate this man. The amount he stuff he does for the Jimmy V foundation should make it impossible to hate him.

That is why the poll asks if you hate GAMES with Dicky V... I cannot imagine anyone who has met him that would say theydisliked him as a person, but I certainly see how you might not like his style of bringing you the game.

That is why the poll asks if you hate GAMES with Dicky V... I cannot imagine anyone who has met him that would say theydisliked him as a person, but I certainly see how you might not like his style of bringing you the game.

I'm a tweener. I can't stand to listen to him during a game, but I like when he's part of a panel of analysts.

BTW, Dick not only does a lot of work for the Jimmy V Foundation, he does an amazing amount of philanthropic work in the Sarasota/Tampa Bay Area. He's also big supporter of the USF, is a member of the million dollar donation club, and helps fund at least one scholarship there. I've never met him personally, but know several people who have. None have anything, but nice things to say about him. A friend of mine, who knows Dicky V quite well, says that when Vital is fund raising, leave your checkbook at home, or he'll talk you out of every dime you have. :D

I think when it's all said and done, Vitale's legacy will be a great one and even those that can't stand him, will someday appreciate him and hold him in high regards...
I agree.

I think the recipients of the cancer research dollars he has helped raise would call him a hero, that’s good enough for me...
Absolutely, I know that I certainly do, :thumb:.

I shouldn't even respond to this, But for his work to help the V foundation and other organizations he is an outstanding person. Honestly I can't believe you even made that statement but to each his own If you don't call them heroes I would call them very special people !!
:thumb:

You do realize the work Vitale has done for the Jimmy V foundation don't you? He has spearheaded that foundation while it has helped raise over 100 million dollars, to those people (cancer patients and researchers) he is a hero, which should be enough for anyone, IMO...

To answer your question, yes I think anyone who spends time and effort to raise money for a deadly disease is a hero...

Again, :thumb:

I honestly don't love or hate Vital but his act can get old quick.
This is my point, that is no act with Vitale, he honestly is that passionate about the game of basketball and college, high school ball.

As a Duke fan, I couldn't possibly hate on Dick Vitale. He loves the Devils, and rightfully so.
O.K., I knew I would find something that I couldn't defend him on :lol:. Everyone has faults and this one is certainly his along with him being positive about UNC. :D

I still really like him (though I wouldn't want to have him call EVERY game I watch.) I still remember many years ago when there was a student at Duke (I think) preparing to shoot a mid-court shot at halftime to win a scholarship for the next semester and DickyV told him that if he made it he (Vitale) would throw in books for the semester. The kids made it! and I have no doubt that Vitale wrote the kid a check for his semester book bill.

This was actually at UC during a midnight madness.

I love him if he's not calling a Duke game, because I think he has a serious man crush on Coach K. There is nothing wrong with really loving the game of basketball and he does. To me, College basketball will not be the same when he hangs it up.

I agree, it's kind of like John Madden being done with announcing football. Madden annoyed me at times, but it has been different without him doing it.