Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Vitale. Love Him or Hate Him?

How do you feel about Dick Vitale? 54 members have voted

  1. 1. How do you feel about Dick Vitale?

    • LOVE games with Dick Vitale!
      50%
      27
    • Don't care one way or the other...
      25%
      14
    • Can't stand games with Dick Vitale!
      24%
      13

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I almost posted this on the UK/IU thread, but thought it needed its own thread.

Dick Vitale is getting along in years and has had some health issues. He said on the UK/IU broadcast that his goal is to call a game on ESPN when he is 90 years old. Do you like listening to him or not?

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't stand him. He takes away from the action on the court, and makes the game much less enjoyable to watch.

 

With that being said, no one can question his love for the game, passion, and the amazing amount of compassion and respect he has for the kids, coaches, fans, etc. Just can't stand him as an announcer.

  • Author

I still really like him (though I wouldn't want to have him call EVERY game I watch.) I still remember many years ago when there was a student at Duke (I think) preparing to shoot a mid-court shot at halftime to win a scholarship for the next semester and DickyV told him that if he made it he (Vitale) would throw in books for the semester. The kids made it! and I have no doubt that Vitale wrote the kid a check for his semester book bill.

Not my favorite analyst, but a great ambassador to college athletics.

Love him. He represents what college athletics should be all about.

Vitale is great! I love to hear him. Vitale puts on no act, he is honestly that passionate about the game of basketball and imo more important he cares about the kids. SportsFan mentioned one instance and I definately remember that. Should anyone get the chance to watch, listen to him give a talk on drugs, staying straight, doing things the right way, respect, etc. to a bunch of high school kids please do so.

As I said, the man honestly cares. Vitale has fun with broadcasting, yes he can go overboard at times but I would much rather listen to someone like that than a "Billy Packer", "Digger Phelps" type that, to me anyway, seems to promote themselves rather than the game.

Love him. He represents what college athletics should be all about.

 

:thumb::thumb:

Respect him but he only jumped on UK's band wagon last year when we got back in the mix! He said the year before Coach Cal came and I qoute " UK Men's Basketball is ten years or so from being in the mix again! Also, he has an open love for DUKE and is bias for them! However, he has a great heart and is a College Basketball great Hero and is a Great man just don't agree with his bias for Duke but that's his right!

Go Big Blue!

^Hero? Sad times we live in when we're calling college basketball analysts heros IMO....

Can't stand him. He takes away from the action on the court, and makes the game much less enjoyable to watch.

 

With that being said, no one can question his love for the game, passion, and the amazing amount of compassion and respect he has for the kids, coaches, fans, etc. Just can't stand him as an announcer.

 

:thumb: I agree it is just brutal to listen to him call a game.

Respect him but he only jumped on UK's band wagon last year when we got back in the mix! He said the year before Coach Cal came and I qoute " UK Men's Basketball is ten years or so from being in the mix again! Also, he has an open love for DUKE and is bias for them! However, he has a great heart and is a College Basketball great Hero and is a Great man just don't agree with his bias for Duke but that's his right!

Go Big Blue!

If we hated all the commentators/announcers that has ever said anything bad about UK we would just mute the t.v.. :thumb::lol:

Digger Phelps = The only thing that he knows about UK basketball is that he couldn't beat them.:D

I love him if he's not calling a Duke game, because I think he has a serious man crush on Coach K. There is nothing wrong with really loving the game of basketball and he does. To me, College basketball will not be the same when he hangs it up.

Can't stand him. He takes away from the action on the court, and makes the game much less enjoyable to watch.

 

With that being said, no one can question his love for the game, passion, and the amazing amount of compassion and respect he has for the kids, coaches, fans, etc. Just can't stand him as an announcer.

 

:thumb: I agree it is just brutal to listen to him call a game.

 

:thumb: That's basically what I said in the UK / IU Game. The guy loves college basketball, and I love that about him. I don't mind listening to his commentary in the studio...but I'd much rather have someone else providing color commentary. Even if it's Jimmy "Violent Cuts" Dykes.

Respect him but he only jumped on UK's band wagon last year when we got back in the mix! He said the year before Coach Cal came and I qoute " UK Men's Basketball is ten years or so from being in the mix again! Also, he has an open love for DUKE and is bias for them! However, he has a great heart and is a College Basketball great Hero and is a Great man just don't agree with his bias for Duke but that's his right!

Go Big Blue!

 

I think he has a mancrush and jumps on bandwagons of teams/programs that are the top of the game. Seems he likes good college basketball and LOVES great college basketball.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.