Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central 68 Woodford County 35

Featured Replies

  • Author
Lets not get carried away. You could call it poor judgement or bad sportsmanship, or whatever you like, but there is nothing against the rules about it. What interest would the KHSAA have in it? Contacting the KHSAA would only be a waste of their time and yours, IMO.

 

Agree, the only people that could punish Matney is the JC board. I am curious what if anything is done.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a JC alum, I am embarrassed about this act, but I am glad no one is harboring any ill feelings towards the Jude kid. He is very talented.

 

I don't know how you can blame the kid for playing hard. I don't think anyone is upset at him.

 

He should never have been put in this position!

Jude is a great kid from a good family. I congratulate him but I hope that Ft Thomas takes note of this game and gives Matney what he deserves; that being a taste of his own medicine. I hope Dale gives him ALL that he deserves. Matney keeps trying to get away from Highlands by requesting to "play up" and the KHSAA refuses him. I hope that the teams that play him from here on out will hand him a dose of humility !

On another note, who calls the defense at Woodford? Didn't they give up 600 yds a few years ago vs. JC?

Lets not get carried away. You could call it poor judgement or bad sportsmanship, or whatever you like, but there is nothing against the rules about it. What interest would the KHSAA have in it? Contacting the KHSAA would only be a waste of their time and yours, IMO.

Your right but a clear code of ethics was violated at a good sportmanship level by the coach of all people. He had those kids lay down on that return so a record could be manipulated.WOW! If anything, a file will be started on this loser and we will see how gutsy your board is to address this.Unfortunately,can't sweep this one under.

It is hard for me to defend JC and I wont. This was just plain wrong. I have no problem with breaking records when it is done the right way. Had this been a shootout in which neither team had every gotten 21 points in front of the other, okay. But JC was up 49-7 at the half. JJ done what any high school player would have done, what his coach told him. He is a hard working individual who runs hard on every play and earns the respect of each team he plays for it so congrats to him on the individual performance. But when I heard on the radio that the defense basically stepped aside late in the 4th quarter and allowed WC to walk into the endzone, I had a sickening feeling. It is wrong. JC may have taken the record for rushing yards in a single game, but all who remember it will know it is tainted. I am a JC fan through and through and I expect more than this. If we are every going to get to the level of a Highlands, Bell Co., Boyle Co., etc., we have to start looking at the long term instead of the short term and records. What would we had done if JJ Jude had been injuried and out for the season, or JK Hall or any starter for that matter. There is no place for this in high school sports. We are to be the adults, and make the right decision, be the one that sets the example and teach lessons that will be benefical later in life. I couldnt help but think what the WC coach was thinking. It was just last year that Coach Matney went on a rant over the Boyle Co. game for them throwing the ball with such a big lead and I defended him. And then for him to turn around and do this, is pathetic. JC has built a strong program and it isnt often that a team can come out and dominate them, but sooner or later a team will and I hope he takes a step back and realizes he did the same thing to WC. I want to say to WC keep your heads up. You are still in a coaching transition and will get your program back on track soon. You have some fine athletes and good size. I also want to say to the coach you are first class and handled the situation much better than I would have had I been the coach, I have much respect for you.

 

Nice post. Know it was not an easy one to post and respect you for doing it.

 

All the best to the Johnson Central players and Judd. They play their hearts out and earn everyones respect. This behavior is certainly not a reflection on them or their school.

Did the Woodford coach shakes hands after the game?

Did the Woodford coach shakes hands after the game?

 

I hope so. I think it's extra classy when a coach shows good sportsmanship to a coach that has displayed none. Kind of helps put things in perspective.

Did the Woodford coach shakes hands after the game?

In the video I watched it looked like he ran across the field to do so. In fact he crossed the field before time expired, probably to keep JC from running another play.

 

Jude is a great kid from a good family. I congratulate him but I hope that Ft Thomas takes note of this game and gives Matney what he deserves; that being a taste of his own medicine. I hope Dale gives him ALL that he deserves. Matney keeps trying to get away from Highlands by requesting to "play up" and the KHSAA refuses him. I hope that the teams that play him from here on out will hand him a dose of humility !

 

I don't think Dale Mueller would do it to punish the coach because he would also be punishing the other teams players. Something Matney didn't care about!

Just curious....what did the local paper have to say about this game?

Just curious....what did the local paper have to say about this game?

 

The last story of the online edition of the Paintsville Herald is about JC's win over Ashland.

In the video I watched it looked like he ran across the field to do so. In fact he crossed the field before time expired, probably to keep JC from running another play.

 

:laugh::ylsuper:

I just watched the video and that is disgraceful. Has Matney made any public comments about what he did?

 

Here is what the JC coach quoted to the Ashland Newspaper if anyone believes his quote I have some ocean front property in Nevada I would like to sell you.

Two years ago, Johnson Central was only a few yards from a state rushing record against Woodford County but coach Jim Matney, who didn’t know the Golden Eagles were that close to the state mark, had his quarterback take a knee on the last play.

 

“We kneeled it down two years ago or we would have had the record then,” he said. “I heard about it from everybody. Nobody liked it, not even their coach.”

Jude is a great kid from a good family. I congratulate him but I hope that Ft Thomas takes note of this game and gives Matney what he deserves; that being a taste of his own medicine. I hope Dale gives him ALL that he deserves. Matney keeps trying to get away from Highlands by requesting to "play up" and the KHSAA refuses him. I hope that the teams that play him from here on out will hand him a dose of humility !

 

JC wants no part of teams like Highlands and Bell County's that is why they are going before the KHSAA to petition them to stay in 5A instead of going to 4A in which all district games would be closer. They say by staying in 5A they have a better chance of getting to the state final because they would not have to go through the Highlands and Bell Counties. Interesting I hope the KHSAA denies their request now after this on Friday night.

JC wants no part of teams like Highlands and Bell County's that is why they are going before the KHSAA to petition them to stay in 5A instead of going to 4A in which all district games would be closer. They say by staying in 5A they have a better chance of getting to the state final because they would not have to go through the Highlands and Bell Counties. Interesting I hope the KHSAA denies their request now after this on Friday night.

 

Not taking a side here on your opinion but Bell County will not be in 4A next year. They move down to 3A because of enrollment. :thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.