Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central 68 Woodford County 35

Featured Replies

If this is true, that is truely pathetic.

That was what did it for me as well, he embarrassed Woodford, his own team including his school, administration,community and fans! Nice work Coach, if I should even refer to you as a coach/leader of high school kids.:rolleyes:

Had I been the head coach there would have been a darn good chance my team would have been pulled from the field after the "don't tackle them" call. That's embarrassing to the WC players as well.

 

I'm not saying it would have been the right decision but it probably would have been the one I would have made.

That would have been tough for me to do bc as a coach you want to teach your kids to keep playing hard and not to quit. I will say though that if ever this is warranted then this would be a reason for it.

High School sports (or any sport for that matter) isn't suppose to be like this. I hate to hear this stuff about JC, especially for the Jude kid because it's not his fault the game played out as it did. What a shame. Can't the administration do something about this, or is the W/L column the only thing that matters there?

 

I'm not saying it would have been the right decision but it probably would have been the one I would have made.

That woud have been tough for me to do but it certainly does merit that move.

High School sports (or any sport for that matter) isn't suppose to be like this. I hate to hear this stuff about JC, especially for the Jude kid because it's not his fault the game played out as it did. What a shame. Can't the administration do something about this, or is the W/L column the only thing that matters there?
I don't know if they will or not but just maybe word of this will spread throughout the state an hopefully no one would even schedule him except for the district schools that have to play JC......Matney then would be "all dressed up and no one to play"
  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, that is truely pathetic.
It is true according to the Johnson Central radio broadcast.

 

Let me clarify, just so there is no confusion. I was listening to the Johnson Central game via the Johnson Central radio broadcast. Spike Berkhimer and crew was giving the play by play and Spike said the defense did not attempt to tackle the kid from Woodford, Rusher was his name, when he ran the long play for the touchdown. This was on the kickoff return, this was with about 3 1/2 minutes left in the game after JC had scored and kicked off to Woodford. Spike said by his calculations, Jude was 5 yards shy of the record and it appeared that JC intentionally let Woodford score so they could get the ball back and give Jude a chance to break the record.

 

That is not my words, it is Spike Berkhimer's words via the Johnson Central radio broadcast.

 

And understand, I have nothing to gain by reporting this. Coach Matney is a friend and it isn't something I enjoyed repeating, but it most definitely IS what was reported on the radio.

It is true according to the Johnson Central radio broadcast.

 

Let me clarify, just so there is no confusion. I was listening to the Johnson Central game via the Johnson Central radio broadcast. Spike Berkhimer and crew was giving the play by play and Spike said the defense did not attempt to tackle the kid from Woodford, Rusher was his name, when he ran the long play for the touchdown. This was on the kickoff return, this was with about 3 1/2 minutes left in the game after JC had scored and kicked off to Woodford. Spike said by his calculations, Jude was 5 yards shy of the record and it appeared that JC intentionally let Woodford score so they could get the ball back and give Jude a chance to break the record.

 

That is not my words, it is Spike Berkhimer's words via the Johnson Central radio broadcast.

 

And understand, I have nothing to gain by reporting this. Coach Matney is a friend and it isn't something I enjoyed repeating, but it most definitely IS what was reported on the radio.

 

 

If I was a ref, there would have been several mysterious holding penalties every time he had a long run.

I can see a coach telling his team not to tackle an opponent when we're talking about one of these stories about the handicap kids etc but to do it in an effort to set a record???

 

This just means the record is tainted.

 

The Coach is a MOCKERY and has no place coaching and leading young men and if the principal of JC has any character this guy needs to be suspended, if not fired for this maneuver!!

 

And no, my son didn't hold the previous record.

finally got the ihigh broadcast to work. The announcers were in disbelief that JJ was was in there during the second half. One announcer kept saying "what are you proving".

 

Around the 3:33:00 is the kick off mentioned above. The kick off team is all lineman. the kicker runs off the field after kicking the ball and actually runs right by the return man as he goes off the field.

 

This guy has no class!!

It is hard for me to defend JC and I wont. This was just plain wrong. I have no problem with breaking records when it is done the right way. Had this been a shootout in which neither team had every gotten 21 points in front of the other, okay. But JC was up 49-7 at the half. JJ done what any high school player would have done, what his coach told him. He is a hard working individual who runs hard on every play and earns the respect of each team he plays for it so congrats to him on the individual performance. But when I heard on the radio that the defense basically stepped aside late in the 4th quarter and allowed WC to walk into the endzone, I had a sickening feeling. It is wrong. JC may have taken the record for rushing yards in a single game, but all who remember it will know it is tainted. I am a JC fan through and through and I expect more than this. If we are every going to get to the level of a Highlands, Bell Co., Boyle Co., etc., we have to start looking at the long term instead of the short term and records. What would we had done if JJ Jude had been injuried and out for the season, or JK Hall or any starter for that matter. There is no place for this in high school sports. We are to be the adults, and make the right decision, be the one that sets the example and teach lessons that will be benefical later in life. I couldnt help but think what the WC coach was thinking. It was just last year that Coach Matney went on a rant over the Boyle Co. game for them throwing the ball with such a big lead and I defended him. And then for him to turn around and do this, is pathetic. JC has built a strong program and it isnt often that a team can come out and dominate them, but sooner or later a team will and I hope he takes a step back and realizes he did the same thing to WC. I want to say to WC keep your heads up. You are still in a coaching transition and will get your program back on track soon. You have some fine athletes and good size. I also want to say to the coach you are first class and handled the situation much better than I would have had I been the coach, I have much respect for you.

This is an embarassment for their entire community.Cudos to the Jude kid for such strong effort.The KHSAA should review film and audio tapes and discipline accordingly.What goes around comes around Mr.Matney

I watched that video too and all I can say is wow.

 

http://www.ihigh.com/ckysports/broadcast_131372.html?silverlight=1

 

As reported above, the kickoff in question is at the 3:33:00 mark and it is obvious they let the return man just trot leisurely for a TD. No way to defend that.

 

 

76, you are a good man and I have a lot of respect for you for your stance on this. :thumb:

I just watched the video and that is disgraceful. Has Matney made any public comments about what he did?

did you see how tired JJ was after the 60 yard td that was called back? he couldn't even get up. Props to the kid from Woodford who went to check on him and help him up. Not sure I could have done that. The ref didn't know what to do! Normally when a kid goes down the ref stays there. this ref left and came back and left again.

For anyone interested in KHSAA commisioner Julian Tacketts email address :[email protected]. .Our kids don't deserve this level of unsportmanship!!!

Lets not get carried away. You could call it poor judgement or bad sportsmanship, or whatever you like, but there is nothing against the rules about it. What interest would the KHSAA have in it? Contacting the KHSAA would only be a waste of their time and yours, IMO.

Just watched the video. Classless in every way. But, I still have to give congrats to Jude.

  • Author

As a JC alum, I am embarrassed about this act, but I am glad no one is harboring any ill feelings towards the Jude kid. He is very talented.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.