Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Johnson Central 68 Woodford County 35

Featured Replies

It is hard for me to defend JC and I wont. This was just plain wrong. I have no problem with breaking records when it is done the right way. Had this been a shootout in which neither team had every gotten 21 points in front of the other, okay. But JC was up 49-7 at the half. JJ done what any high school player would have done, what his coach told him. He is a hard working individual who runs hard on every play and earns the respect of each team he plays for it so congrats to him on the individual performance. But when I heard on the radio that the defense basically stepped aside late in the 4th quarter and allowed WC to walk into the endzone, I had a sickening feeling. It is wrong. JC may have taken the record for rushing yards in a single game, but all who remember it will know it is tainted. I am a JC fan through and through and I expect more than this. If we are every going to get to the level of a Highlands, Bell Co., Boyle Co., etc., we have to start looking at the long term instead of the short term and records. What would we had done if JJ Jude had been injuried and out for the season, or JK Hall or any starter for that matter. There is no place for this in high school sports. We are to be the adults, and make the right decision, be the one that sets the example and teach lessons that will be benefical later in life. I couldnt help but think what the WC coach was thinking. It was just last year that Coach Matney went on a rant over the Boyle Co. game for them throwing the ball with such a big lead and I defended him. And then for him to turn around and do this, is pathetic. JC has built a strong program and it isnt often that a team can come out and dominate them, but sooner or later a team will and I hope he takes a step back and realizes he did the same thing to WC. I want to say to WC keep your heads up. You are still in a coaching transition and will get your program back on track soon. You have some fine athletes and good size. I also want to say to the coach you are first class and handled the situation much better than I would have had I been the coach, I have much respect for you.

JC76, you are a class act my friend :thumb::thumb:.

Should there be any other fans of any h.s. team ........JC Alumni 76 just gave a great example of what a class h.s. fan should be.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the last 15 minutes of the video and I can't believe what I saw. JC's QB, hobbling up to the line, Jude barely being able to walk into the endzone on the penalty, and JC with their first string line pushing the tempo when the victory formation should have been used. That was the most pathetic display of sportmanship I've ever witnessed. I really feel for the kids, Matney has set himself up for some big payback and it will be the kids who will be the victims.

I watched the last 15 minutes of the video and I can't believe what I saw. JC's QB, hobbling up to the line, Jude barely being able to walk into the endzone on the penalty, and JC with their first string line pushing the tempo when the victory formation should have been used. That was the most pathetic display of sportmanship I've ever witnessed. I really feel for the kids, Matney has set himself up for some big payback and it will be the kids who will be the victims.

 

I don't fault the JC kids. I blame the coach but the old saying goes what comes around goes around.

JC wants no part of teams like Highlands and Bell County's that is why they are going before the KHSAA to petition them to stay in 5A instead of going to 4A in which all district games would be closer. They say by staying in 5A they have a better chance of getting to the state final because they would not have to go through the Highlands and Bell Counties. Interesting I hope the KHSAA denies their request now after this on Friday night.

 

Hey, what about Boyle County????

Hey, what about Boyle County????

 

JC has played Bell and Boyle the last 2 season and were beaten by them both each year. I bet that JC will lighten up their schedule next season.

Matney is a good example of one of those coaches that talk the classy talk, and act like a great person but I don't think he exactly walks the walk when it comes to alot of things. But hey man your name is in the record book congrats!

Matney is a good example of one of those coaches that talk the classy talk, and act like a great person but I don't think he exactly walks the walk when it comes to alot of things. But hey man your name is in the record book congrats!

 

Amen. Matney has never taken a knee. The things he told the Ashland paper were untrue.

Coach Matney has a way of getting his name in the paper for the wrong things sometimes and this was a bad decision by him, in my opinion. Even so, he is one of those coaches who absolutely loves his kids that play for him and they absolutely love him and love playing for him. I've known him a long time and I believe he is fueled by that relationship and that he coaches for those type of rewards, not for name recognition or personal accolades. He may not always say the right thing, and he may not always do the right thing in some eyes, but he is a good man and he always has his players in the forefront of his mind.

 

If he made conscious decisions to alter this game in order to let JJ Jude get the individual rushing record, and at this point it appears that he did, I have no doubt in my mind that he did it for JJ Jude and not for Jim Matney. Maybe in retrospect he wouldn't do it that way again, but I don't doubt for one second that he thought he was doing a good thing for JJ when it was happening and maybe that clouded his decision a little.

 

Jim is a good Christian man and a good family man and he has a magnetic personality. He loves his school and his players and he would do anything to see them succeed. I think he made a bad decision, as we all are prone to do at times, but knowing him for more than 30 years, I feel in my heart that he did it while trying to do something good. Unfortunately, the way he went about it looks like he sacrificed some things in the process.

 

I guess what I am trying to say is this; while I don't support the way he went about this, I recognize it as a coaching mistake made in the moment. And unlike most of you, I do know him personally and this does not change the way I feel about him as a person. So attack this decision and criticize his choices in this game if you want, that is fair game, but unless you know the man I don't think you can speak to his character or who he is as a man.

I don't know the coach from Adam. But I do not think think you can act one way when you're not coaching, and then operate by a different set of character rules when you are coaching the game. You are who you are. You either have class or you don't. In fact, it's probably MORE important to show that class during the game when you are molding the minds of impressionable young men. It's easy to be a "good Christian man and a good family man" on Sunday morning. It's more difficult during tough times. And IMO the coach failed on this night. Does that make him a horrible person? Heck no, i've failed plenty of times. Let's see where he goes from this point forward.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.