Rules Question...

sportsfan08

Can a lineman catch a pass behind the line of scrimmage? I always thought they could but someone told me they changed the rule and only receiver eligible jersey numbers could catch a pass. Could someone that knows please help me out...Thanks!

Must have an eligable number and be lined up in an eligable postition to catch a pass.

Can a lineman catch a pass behind the line of scrimmage? I always thought they could but someone told me they changed the rule and only receiver eligible jersey numbers could catch a pass. Could someone that knows please help me out...Thanks!

A lineman has to be eligible by "Position" and "number". So, he has be uncovered by another receiver and must be wearing an eligible number (1-49; 80-99). The rule did not change, the interpretation of the rule did.

Also, if the lineman is the center, he can not come in contact with ball at all, until who ever is receiving the snap has possession of the ball first. No center sneaks in other words.

So what happened to the old fashioned tackle eligible? I don't remembering Jumbo Elliot changing his jersey number when the Dolphins beat the Jets several years back...or is the NFL rule interpreted differently?

It's still legal in the NFL, just not NCAA or NFHS. Like I said, the rule didn't change, just the way it was interpreted. Everyone used to run a Tackle eligible play, now if you do, it better be a TE playing Tackle. If you notice, teams that run a "Near Far" or "Pole Cat" series now use a WR to snap, not a lineman. That is so the C is eligible.

Edited by Ram

What if the lineman caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage?

Here is what I read in the rule book...

No player may hand the ball forward except during a scrimmage down before a change of possession, provided both players are in or behind the neutral zone and it it to:

a. A lineman who has clearly faced his end line by moving both feet in a half-turn and is at least 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball.

So basically, if the end man on the line of scirmmage was a lineman and he turned around to face his goalline and moved 1 yard back behind the line he would be eligible to catch a pass even if he wasn't wearing an eligible jersey number?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to be as clear as possible.

I know that a lineman, by position and number, can receive a "Hand off". But, in your situation, I don't know if they can catch a screen. I would have to say no because a pass does not stipulate it as being behind the line or not, just a forward throw and by the rule a receiver has to be eligible by "Position" and "number". I'm not an official, but I would say he could not receive the pass.

What if the lineman caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage?

Here is what I read in the rule book...

No player may hand the ball forward except during a scrimmage down before a change of possession, provided both players are in or behind the neutral zone and it it to:

a. A lineman who has clearly faced his end line by moving both feet in a half-turn and is at least 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball.

So basically, if the end man on the line of scirmmage was a lineman and he turned around to face his goalline and moved 1 yard back behind the line he would be eligible to catch a pass even if he wasn't wearing an eligible jersey number?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to be as clear as possible.

Like others said the eligibility rules for a forward pass are position and numbering. The example you give is for a direct handoff, not a pass.