Russell at Newport Predictions

Cubster

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt were are the dog in this one, but i wouldnt say a huge dog unless you talk to the people from the Russell area. Will it be an upset if Newport won? Sure but I dont think it would be a huge one. We are all proud of our boys win or lose, and are happy to be this far, I doubt anyone would have thought this before now. You guys keep thinkin your gonna come up here and walk thru to the semi's and you might be surprised what happens. I hope Russell has the same mind set you do.

You should be proud of ur Boys they have had a good season it will be sad to see one of there seasons come to end friday night especially the seniors, whether it be Russell or Newport.

I don't see Newport as the "dog". They are a very good football team, won their district, beat 2 of the top 4 teams in Russell's district, and they're playing at home. Which by the way is in "Northern Kentucky". I would love to know what Russell's record against northern Ky schools on the road is. Trust me, it's not real good. And it can be a very long trip home.

I think Russell has a very good football team. A ton of speed in the defensive backfield allows them to play man to man deep, which allows the linebackers to get after the QB. However, anytime you play some man to man deep you can get burnt here or there and that has happened a couple times.

I don't think either team will shut down the other, but I don't think this game will be that high scoring. I look for everyone to leave saying that was a good game. And I think one or two plays could be the difference. And it might be special teams plays. Or a fumble or an interception...Something like that...

I still like Russell....even on the road in northern KY.

35-28

Newport Roster

# Player Ht. Wt. Yr. Pos.

2 James Glenn 5-11 160 Senior RB, DB

3 J.j. Hesch 5-7 160 Junior QB

4 Steven Taylor 6-0 175 Junior WR, DE

5 Anthony Schoo 6-0 155 Junior WR, DE

6 Tony Baldwin 5-6 120 Freshman WR, DB

7 Tommy Wilson 5-11 160 Sophomore QB, DB

8 Travis Piccirillo 5-11 180 Junior WR, LB

9 Ozzy McIntosh 6-3 170 Junior WR, DB

10 Chase Barger 5-11 170 Junior TE, LB

12 Chad Raleigh 6-0 165 Senior WR, DB

20 Ryne Wilfong 5-9 180 Sophomore RB, LB

22 Billy Herald 5-7 160 Sophomore RB, LB

24 Zach Ilg 6-0 165 Junior WR, DB

25 Billy Houston 5-9 165 Senior WR, DB

27 Matt Atkins 6-2 215 Senior TE, DE

32 James Thomas 6-3 185 Senior WR, DB

34 Greg Weisbrodt 5-8 175 Senior RB, LB

35 Danny Goines 6-0 165 Senior WR, LB

39 Chris Dykes 5-6 150 Senior RB, DB

42 James Roberts 5-6 190 Junior RB, LB

43 Jacob Ilg 5-9 160 Freshman OL, LB

50 Billy Dieters 6-2 210 Sophomore OL, DE

52 William Sizemore 5-10 215 Senior OL, DT

55 Zachary Bartel 6-2 225 Senior OL, DT

56 Kevin Kincaid 5-9 200 Sophomore OL, DL

59 Dan Runion 6-4 255 Senior OL, DE

60 Josh Pfaff 5-8 145 Junior OL, LB

64 Curtis Marshall 6-0 235 Junior OL, LB

65 Kyle Southwood 6-1 260 Junior OL, DT

66 Devon Boxx 6-2 250 Sophomore OL, DT

68 Nick Herald 5-8 165 Junior OL, LB

70 D.j. Smith 5-9 210 Senior OL, DT

72 Tim Smith 6-1 210 Junior OL, DE

75 Chris Earls 6-0 255 Senior OL, DT

78 Glenn Young 6-5 290 Senior OL, DT

I don't see Newport as the "dog". They are a very good football team, won their district, beat 2 of the top 4 teams in Russell's district, and they're playing at home. Which by the way is in "Northern Kentucky". I would love to know what Russell's record against northern Ky schools on the road is. Trust me, it's not real good. And it can be a very long trip home.

I think Russell has a very good football team. A ton of speed in the defensive backfield allows them to play man to man deep, which allows the linebackers to get after the QB. However, anytime you play some man to man deep you can get burnt here or there and that has happened a couple times.

I don't think either team will shut down the other, but I don't think this game will be that high scoring. I look for everyone to leave saying that was a good game. And I think one or two plays could be the difference. And it might be special teams plays. Or a fumble or an interception...Something like that...

I still like Russell....even on the road in northern KY.

35-28

Thats how I see the game going also not a defensive struggle but not a shootout either. If the final score ends up like you predict I think our city and boys can be very proud of what they accomplished this season. If Russell wins they have my support behind them the rest of the way and would hope they would then win state.

Someone needs to beg Coach Schlarman to move this game to HHS on Saturday. I REALLY want to see it but won't be able to make it Friday night. It's the only bad thing about playoff football. For the most part, you can only catch one game per week. I'm sure Russell will understand that Sticky wants to watch the game. :D

I didn't think he was the featured back as a SOPH. If I was wrong on that forgive me...

Let's see:

1. He scored 24 TD's (most on the team)

2. He rushed for 1259 yards (Most on team; second highest was 771)

3. He had 309 receiving yards (second highest on team)

Sounds like a feature back to me.

Let's see:

1. He scored 24 TD's (most on the team)

2. He rushed for 1259 yards (Most on team; second highest was 771)

3. He had 309 receiving yards (second highest on team)

Sounds like a feature back to me.

We cleared that up already. But thanks again...

Newports line has a good mix of size and speed. They are big compared to most teams but not overly huge like Mercer. They can move around up front.

How do you guys think the long bus ride and home field advantage will affect this game? I think it could have a bigger impact than most think. Its not easy to ride a bus for 4 hours and go play a great game.

I'm sure if Ivan McGloan thinks that the bus ride will be a problem he will load the team up and drive them around for two or three hours and then have practice all week. These are 16 and 17 year olds and I'm sure Russell will not utilize that for an excuse. Last year Ivan was quoted about chartering buses for the game against Belfry. Ivan stated "We are not going on vacation, we are going to play a football game. We will be in yellow school buses". Now Ivan may get tired of riding on the bus. Lets face it he's been doing it for 28 years if not more.

This should be a good game to watch. I think it will be a little closer than most would think. Sure Russell is the favorite to win and they probable will. I would venture to say that the team who makes the least mistakes will win. I would also think that if Russell comes out with thier "A" game Newport will not be able to stop them. Newport has an exceptional team and if they come out with thier "A" game and Russell plays like they did against Boyd County Russell will loose. No questions. The best team will win this one no excuses.

Russell 28 :thumb:

Newport 14

So, the last three times Russell has loaded the bus for a playoff game, they've called it a Season???

That's correct. I sure hope Newport changes that.

I was at all those games and the Breathitt game was a heartbreaker. They were although beat by the best team on each night.