Russell at Newport Predictions

Cubster

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Newport's line as far as quickness? This is where the game will be won. The Devils' D & O lines played very well against the considerably bigger Mercer County line. Most of the Scotties yardage, other than penalties, came after the score was 34-6 and they had a little of the "Russell Relax"...that combined with the fact the size difference began to wear down some of the kids and LB Josh Wills went out with an injury. When that happened, Mercer put some drives together. Wills was begging to go back in, but with the margin and the big game this week, there wasn't a need to risk it. He should be back 100 % for Newport. With the quickness of the front 7 for Russell, I think they should be able to disrupt the Wildcats' offense and I really don't see Newport being able to consistently stop the wing-t, especially with the very effective passing game Coach McGlone has this year with Tommy Brown. I fully expect a tough game and if the kids don't prepare and come ready to play they could easily lose. That being said, I feel Russell takes it by 2 TD's.

How is Newport's line as far as quickness? This is where the game will be won. The Devils' D & O lines played very well against the considerably bigger Mercer County line. Most of the Scotties yardage, other than penalties, came after the score was 34-6 and they had a little of the "Russell Relax"...that combined with the fact the size difference began to wear down some of the kids and LB Josh Wills went out with an injury. When that happened, Mercer put some drives together. Wills was begging to go back in, but with the margin and the big game this week, there wasn't a need to risk it. He should be back 100 % for Newport. With the quickness of the front 7 for Russell, I think they should be able to disrupt the Wildcats' offense and I really don't see Newport being able to consistently stop the wing-t, especially with the very effective passing game Coach McGlone has this year with Tommy Brown. I fully expect a tough game and if the kids don't prepare and come ready to play they could easily lose. That being said, I feel Russell takes it by 2 TD's.

Newport is athletic on the line from the outside in. The T's are all that and a bag of chips (guru 2001)...

Newports line has a good mix of size and speed. They are big compared to most teams but not overly huge like Mercer. They can move around up front.

How do you guys think the long bus ride and home field advantage will affect this game? I think it could have a bigger impact than most think. Its not easy to ride a bus for 4 hours and go play a great game.

I dont think the bus ride up will hurt the Boys. They want this game bad.

As both teams should. But you have to admit it can have an effect on a team to have to drive that far and then bring your A game. Its not easy, I can tell you that from experience. I hated having to go down to Flatwoods and then play a team of Russells caliber.

As both teams should. But you have to admit it can have an effect on a team to have to drive that far and then bring your A game. Its not easy, I can tell you that from experience. I hated having to go down to Flatwoods and then play a team of Russells caliber.

Yea but Russell fully expects to go in to Newport and take this game.Newport is the Under dog here and if Newport was lucky to knock off Russell it would be a big upset and If Russell wins it wont really be a upset.And evrytime Newport came to Russell they was almost always the underdog. U have to admit going in knowing ur the Favorite would be better than making the long trip knowing ur the underdog.

Yea but Russell fully expects to go in to Newport and take this game.Newport is the Under dog here and if Newport was lucky to knock off Russell it would be a big upset and If Russell wins it wont really be a upset.And evrytime Newport came to Russell they was almost always the underdog. U have to admit going in knowing ur the Favorite would be better than making the long trip knowing ur the underdog.

The last trip up as the favorite went well. :rolleyes:

Again, can we get back to game talk, and away from "my dad can beat up your dad"???

No doubt were are the dog in this one, but i wouldnt say a huge dog unless you talk to the people from the Russell area. Will it be an upset if Newport won? Sure but I dont think it would be a huge one. We are all proud of our boys win or lose, and are happy to be this far, I doubt anyone would have thought this before now. You guys keep thinkin your gonna come up here and walk thru to the semi's and you might be surprised what happens. I hope Russell has the same mind set you do.