Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cueto retires a batter without throwing a pitch

Featured Replies

I'm bothered by this because this is just a reason in 15 years for LaRue can look back and make an excuse as to why he had to retire and avoid the fact that he sucks. He can't just retire and say, "my days are over, I'm just not good." He can now say "I got kicked in the face, and was forced to retire."

 

This is the fair debate. If he's had a lot of concussions how is this one any worse other than how it came about?

  • Replies 90
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clyde, no disrespect intended at all, but have you ever been in a fight? ...or more pertinently, have you even been in a brawl with numerous people fighting you and/or fighting around you?

 

I've been in more than 95% of the people on here.

 

There are codes. Fights on the street, fights in a bar, fights in a parking lot have different codes than a baseball fight. Heck, I bit a guy in the rear end once during a fight when the guy somehow got me in a leg scissors hold so I understand that "real fights" have no rules.

 

We're not talking "real fights."

The day of the fight the temp. was above 90 degrees in Cincy with high humidity. Big game in a pennant race against the hated Cardinals. When the jawing started between Phillips and Molina, Adam Wainright came racing out of the Cards dugout and grabbed Jaime Garcia to get him out of harm's way. Sorry Jaime, you have a big game to pitch, you are going to sit this fight out. Rolen was trying to play peace maker (at least for awhile) at ground zero. It would have been nice for one of the Reds' other veterans to have done the same with Cueto who had 1 inning under his belt. Don't get me wrong, I do not like LaRussa or Carpenter one bit. But, Phillips' jawing and Cueto's spikes to the back Jason Larue's head are the low points of a great Reds seaons, IMO.

....well you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run.....

 

sorry.

I've been in more than 95% of the people on here.

 

There are codes. Fights on the street, fights in a bar, fights in a parking lot have different codes than a baseball fight. Heck, I bit a guy in the rear end once during a fight when the guy somehow got me in a leg scissors hold so I understand that "real fights" have no rules.

 

We're not talking "real fights."

 

Well, having been a "brawler" in my younger days, I'd have to agree with you on the no rules thing. That being said, one of the reasons I avoid certain environments (namely big busy crowds at festivals and the like) is because I get very uneasy when I have a lot of people I don't know at close quarters with me. It makes my adrenalin kick up and it makes me feel very jumpy. There is generally no hostility or aggression in the area and no reason for my being on edge, but it happens all the same.

 

Now, notwithstanding whether or not Cueto or LaRue should have been in the fight to begin with, I can see plenty of reason why someone would get freaked out and do something like kick their feet when they're surrounded and pinned up against something by 35 or 40 other guys who are pushing, shoving, taking swings at each other. You can't always stop and think "Hey, is this a baseball fight, or a real fight?" when you're in the middle of a huge 15 minute brawl and you've just been lifted off your own feet and are thusly can't get out of the fight even if you wanted to. Adrenalin takes over, "fight or flight" takes over, and in his situation, flight wasn't an option.

Don't get me wrong, I do not like LaRussa or Carpenter one bit. But, Phillips' jawing and Cueto's spikes to the back Jason Larue's head are the low points of a great Reds seaons, IMO.

 

Honestly, I forgot all about it and I feel like most Reds fans have as well. We're to busy focused on watching our team win the division.

Can someone tell me how metal spikes are okay? Because if metal spikes are fair game in a fight, then I'll just put on brass knuckles next time I get in a fight.

Honestly, if he was wearing LRCW's Crocs it wouldn't have been okay.

....and shoot him with my old .45 and a country boy can survive.

If LaRue really has had 20 concussions in his career, then he, not Cueto is the idiot. What type of a moron with 3 young kids keeps going out there to play a game, when they've had that many concussions? Seriously, is he too stupid to realize that once you've had a concussion, you're more likely to get more, and they almost always progressively get worse?

 

 

Also, a fight is a fight. If you're going to engage in fighting, you deal with the consequences, I don't care if it's on the streets or on a baseball diamond. Would there be this much uproar if Cueto or another Red had landed a haymaker and caused a concussion that way? I think not. So while it's unfortunate what happened, it certainly isn't the horrific thing that some of you are making it out to be.

Can someone tell me how metal spikes are okay? Because if metal spikes are fair game in a fight, then I'll just put on brass knuckles next time I get in a fight.

 

I don't think they're okay...but I also don't think Cueto sat there and thought, "Hmm...you know, I'm wearing metal spikes. I'm going to try to use them to jack somebody's jaw." I think his thoughts were a little more along the lines of "Whoa, they picked me up and they've got me pinned against this backstop. I need to get them the heck away from me so I can get back on my feet." Then the kicking was more or less a knee-jerk reaction to his situation. No pun intended.

 

Baseball players wear metal spikes to play the game. They already have them on, and they generally don't go into a game anticipating a fight, or furthermore using their spikes as a weapon in a potential fight. Brass knuckles are brought along in anticipation of using them.

If your a pitcher and worried about getting hurt don't go out there. Cueto was being restrained by his own teammates and took the chance to get in some cheap shots. He then tries to claim he was pinned and scared.

 

What in the world were you watching? Cueto was the last guy out of the Reds dugout and was standing at the back of the crowd doing nothing when the 2nd wave erupted and he was caught as the mass of people pushed back. He wasn't being restrained by anyone, as it happened in a split second and next thing he knows he is pinned against the backstop and surrounded by Cardinals. If he was surrounded by Reds, why did none of them get kicked? Makes no sense at all...

What in the world were you watching? Cueto was the last guy out of the Reds dugout and was standing at the back of the crowd doing nothing when the 2nd wave erupted and he was caught as the mass of people pushed back. He wasn't being restrained by anyone, as it happened in a split second and next thing he knows he is pinned against the backstop and surrounded by Cardinals. If he was surrounded by Reds, why did none of them get kicked? Makes no sense at all...

 

He is pushed back by Reds guys and eventually Carpenter and Larue are infront of him. It's not like Cardinals pinned him up against the fence.

He is pushed back by Reds guys and eventually Carpenter and Larue are infront of him. It's not like Cardinals pinned him up against the fence.

 

Never said they did. Simply pointed out he was caught in the mass of people after standing in the back of the crowd doing nothing initially. No one was holding him back from anything as he was the last one out of the dugout and was not involved until he got pinned...

If LaRue really has had 20 concussions in his career, then he, not Cueto is the idiot. .

 

Agreed.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.