Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cueto retires a batter without throwing a pitch

Featured Replies

What in the world were you watching? Cueto was the last guy out of the Reds dugout and was standing at the back of the crowd doing nothing when the 2nd wave erupted and he was caught as the mass of people pushed back. ...

 

Not entirely true. He was off to the side while the initial huddle was going on. However, when Carpenter started yapping he and Votto went around the pile to try to get to Carpenter and the entire mass of people moved back to the screen. If Johnny had not ran to get at Carpenter or near Carpenter then he would have stayed clear of the masses.

  • Replies 90
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I forgot all about it and I feel like most Reds fans have as well. We're to busy focused on watching our team win the division.

 

Agreed. I had too. But, the Jason LaRue retirement story kind of stirred the pot. While nobody would have confused LaRue for Johnny Bench (or even Bill Plummer for that matter), I liked Jason when he played for the Reds. I hate to see him go out this way.

Not entirely true. He was off to the side while the initial huddle was going on. However, when Carpenter started yapping he and Votto went around the pile to try to get to Carpenter and the entire mass of people moved back to the screen. If Johnny had not ran to get at Carpenter or near Carpenter then he would have stayed clear of the masses.

 

Was he running to get at Carpenter, or was he running to try to stop Rolen from killing Carp?

 

Somewhat off topic, but a guy I know, who pitched with Carpenter and the Cardinals for a couple seasons, says that Carp is one of the nicer guys in the game. Not surprisingly, he said LaRussa is a grade A tool, who thinks he's god...:lol:

Was he running to get at Carpenter, or was he running to try to stop Rolen from killing Carp?

 

Somewhat off topic, but a guy I know, who pitched with Carpenter and the Cardinals for a couple seasons, says that Carp is one of the nicer guys in the game. Not surprisingly, he said LaRussa is a grade A tool, who thinks he's god...:lol:

 

I understand why people hate LaRussa. He is a know it all. But he can win. Unfortunately I think he has rubbed off on Albert.

I understand why people hate LaRussa. He is a know it all. But he can win. Unfortunately I think he has rubbed off on Albert.

 

I've always been under the impression that he and Albert can't stand one another....

I've always been under the impression that he and Albert can't stand one another....

 

About a month and a half ago, they got into it in the dugout in an extra inning game on TV.

 

Albert was clearly playing in pain. Not sure what the argument was about but it didn't seem like two guys kindly exchanging words.

As Hunter S. Thompson would say, "Buy the ticket; take the ride."

 

LaRue shouldn't have been playing to begin with if he had that many concussions. He most certainly would have been appraised of the risk by his doctors. If not, MLB's got some questions to answer about its catchers, who are at risk much like NFL players for head injuries.

As Hunter S. Thompson would say, "Buy the ticket; take the ride."

 

I have Fear and Loathing of disagreeing with anyone literate enough to quote the good doctor, but I'm not sure I agree with the proposition that "buying the ticket" includes the risk of getting kicked in the back of the head by a dude wearing metal spikes (which IMO is different than the risk of getting bowled over at the plate or plunked by a fastball.)

 

Ralph-Steadman-dr-gonzo-mono.jpg

While I certainly appreciate our shared good taste, I've got to disagree. As a catcher, LaRue knows he's signing up for trench duty. What difference is it if he gets it in a fight of if he's spiked in the face by a sliding runner trying to score a game-winning run? He knows the risk of injury is always present, as does any player.

50% blame Cueto + 30% blame Carpenter + 20% blame LaRue for still playing after 20 hits to the head = The end of a career that no one will remember 2 years from now.

 

 

 

Good question = Which did Larue have more of: concussions or hits this season?

I've always been under the impression that he and Albert can't stand one another....

 

They bang heads but all in all TRL is like a father figure to Albert. And Albert is like a son to TLR, and he has a major man crush on him. He'll probably play a big position in what Albert does this offseason. Albert has had TRL looking out for him since he came into the league and learning his ways. I can see where Albert would think that the way TLR does it is the only way.

Over 20 concussions in his career but it is Cueto's fault. Hmmmmm .....

 

20 concussions and just now waving the white flag? Has he been catching fast balls with the mask?

20 concussions and just now waving the white flag? Has he been catching fast balls with the mask?

 

That's what I was wondering? How does a baseball player get hit in the head that many times?

What in the world were you watching? Cueto was the last guy out of the Reds dugout and was standing at the back of the crowd doing nothing when the 2nd wave erupted and he was caught as the mass of people pushed back. He wasn't being restrained by anyone, as it happened in a split second and next thing he knows he is pinned against the backstop and surrounded by Cardinals. If he was surrounded by Reds, why did none of them get kicked? Makes no sense at all...

You need to watch the video again then because that is not what happened. Cueto went after Carp from behind when Carp was being pushed back. When Cueto was kicking one of his teammates was holding him against the fence. No Reds got kicked because he wasn't just kicking wildly. My guess woudl be he was trying to kick Carp and got LaRue with one.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.