Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enes Kanter received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits...

Featured Replies

It still is taking much longer to make a decisoin than it should, granted it will be setting a precedent for future players on club teams. With less than 3 weeks to go until the season starts, the NCAA isn't doing any favors for UK as they don't know if they will have Kanter or not. Knowing whether or not they will have Kanter would help them in their preparation for the season. While I'm assuming they are going ahead with the presumption that Kanter won't be there, if he is cleared, it will hamper them (at least first) as they start to incorporate him into their gameplans and schemes.

 

Why should the NCAA be concerned about how it impacts UK's season? Their one and only concern is getting the decision right.

  • Replies 347
  • Views 46.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why should the NCAA be concerned about how it impacts UK's season? Their one and only concern is getting the decision right.

Totally agree with Randy's post. Best one I've read in this saga. However, I agree with him with the notion that they will be faced with as much public perception as anything, and I have to think that perception will play a role in their decision. Kinda wonder if Cal and his history doesn't play a role. You'd like to think it doesn't.

Totally agree with Randy's post. Best one I've read in this saga. However, I agree with him with the notion that they will be faced with as much public perception as anything, and I have to think that perception will play a role in their decision. Kinda wonder if Cal and his history doesn't play a role. You'd like to think it doesn't.

Cals history shouldn't play a role at all. Kanter was going to go to school somewhere and many schools would have taken him. This is about foreign players and whether the NCAA will let them play or tell them to stay at home.

It still is taking much longer to make a decisoin than it should, granted it will be setting a precedent for future players on club teams. With less than 3 weeks to go until the season starts, the NCAA isn't doing any favors for UK as they don't know if they will have Kanter or not. Knowing whether or not they will have Kanter would help them in their preparation for the season. While I'm assuming they are going ahead with the presumption that Kanter won't be there, if he is cleared, it will hamper them (at least first) as they start to incorporate him into their gameplans and schemes.

 

The NCAA has taken longer than this on decisions that are much less complicated. Not saying it is right but the NCAA can take a long time to decide cases. However, I would expect some decision before the regular season starts.

It still is taking much longer to make a decisoin than it should, granted it will be setting a precedent for future players on club teams. With less than 3 weeks to go until the season starts, the NCAA isn't doing any favors for UK as they don't know if they will have Kanter or not. Knowing whether or not they will have Kanter would help them in their preparation for the season. While I'm assuming they are going ahead with the presumption that Kanter won't be there, if he is cleared, it will hamper them (at least first) as they start to incorporate him into their gameplans and schemes.

 

I'm pretty certain that John Wall's eligibility issues weren't settled until October 30th or 31st of last year--when he was suspended 1 exhibition game & 1 regular season game. And I'm almost as certain that the West Virginia player was ruled upon right around that same time. So while I too, as a UK fan, want a decision on this matter, the NCAA is following old form here.

 

Some compare this case to Renardo Sidney's from MSU, but the disparity between the cases is that the Sidney family did not cooperate on the same level as the Kanters.

 

Gun to my head, I'm saying Kanter is declared eligible but will have to sit 20-25% of UK's games, which would be around 6-8 games.

Totally agree with Randy's post. Best one I've read in this saga. However, I agree with him with the notion that they will be faced with as much public perception as anything, and I have to think that perception will play a role in their decision. Kinda wonder if Cal and his history doesn't play a role. You'd like to think it doesn't.

 

Oh, I'm sure the perception of Cal plays a huge role. I'm thinking that most fans outside of the BBN are working under the assumption that Kanter will not be cleared, that he's a pro, etc. etc.

 

I would be a little bit surprised if, by this time next week, the NCAA hasn't issued a ruling on Kanter (and Josh Selby too). With all fairness to Mississippi State and Renardo Sidney from last season, this is Kansas & Kentucky--two of basketball's premier blue-bloods. That may come across as arrogant, but I believe it to be true. I can't see the NCAA going well into November on either case, simply because of the two programs involved.

 

But then again, this is the NCAA... (the dot, dot, dots are inspired by GT :sssh:)

Cals history shouldn't play a role at all. Kanter was going to go to school somewhere and many schools would have taken him. This is about foreign players and whether the NCAA will let them play or tell them to stay at home.

I agree, but if public perception plays any role at all in the decision, I have a hard time believing that it won't be a factor. I hope I'm wrong.

I agree, but if public perception plays any role at all in the decision, I have a hard time believing that it won't be a factor. I hope I'm wrong.

 

And that's exactly what Rick Stansbury was doing with his statement about Kanter, essentially saying that most everyone believed him to be a pro & that if the NCAA clears him, you have to wonder if they're giving UK special treatment. There will be a lot of backlash if Kanter is cleared, and you have to wonder if the NCAA--in light of all the Reggie Bush, USC, Bruce Pearl stuff--is willing to tolerate all of it.

What information is that? You know what information the Turkish GM sent the NCAA?

 

I think this is what he means: Thamel's article indicated that the Turkish club sent documents to the NCAA that would clearly destroy Kanter's amateur status. If the documents were that clear, the NCAA would have made a decision by now.

For those of who worried about public perception playing a factor in the NCAA's decision: I think the long-term effects of this decision (i.e. the precedent for other foreign players) is going to trump the public's perception. Although I do feel that the public perception will play a role, albeit a minor one.

For those of who worried about public perception playing a factor in the NCAA's decision: I think the long-term effects of this decision (i.e. the precedent for other foreign players) is going to trump the public's perception. Although I do feel that the public perception will play a role, albeit a minor one.

 

I believe that's the NCAA's tug-of-war: LONG-TERM BENEFITS OF EUROPEAN TALENT vs. PUBLIC PERCEPTION OF KANTER BEING A PRO YET PERMITTED TO PLAY (and for Calipari/UK nonetheless). Which one matters most? Well, that's the million-dollar question.

Why should the NCAA be concerned about how it impacts UK's season? Their one and only concern is getting the decision right.

 

Wouldn't you want a quick and speedy decision to assess your personel for the season regardless of the school you support?

I'm all for getting the decision right, I just feel like its taken longer than it should have.

 

The GM over in Turkey said he had proof that Kanter did take money and said it was being sent or he would be sending it to the NCAA. If the documents do exist, then Kanter is ineligible. However, if they don't exist, Kanter appears to be eligible since his Dad kept a record of all of Kanter's dealings with his club team. Its one or the other and would definitely say whether or not Kanter is eligible. This was the exact situation many weeks ago and no progress whatsoever has been made. The ONLY reason I think the situation like this could be extended would be if the GM did have the proof of Kanter taking money and the NCAA was taking it times validating that evidence.

I think this is what he means: Thamel's article indicated that the Turkish club sent documents to the NCAA that would clearly destroy Kanter's amateur status. If the documents were that clear, the NCAA would have made a decision by now.

 

Exactly :thumb:

The thing that gets me is that when Kanter would have been paid he was 14 and 15 years old.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.