Russell vs Mercer County Predictions

GOREDDEVILS

Buffalo,

I know of 3 pitches from the QB that were -13 yard losses (approximately) that were not caused by a hit from Mercer County.

We must have watched two different games. In the 2nd half, Hall runs the counter option for a first down...a horrific call by the official gives Mercer the ball. Not only were Hall's knee's down, he slammed his right arm (with the ball) on the ground, resulting in the football squirting out. Collins in the next series, fumbled (after attaining 8-10 yards).

When Morgan was forced into 2nd and 3rd and LONGS as a result or fumbled pitches, the Cougars had to go to the air...but yet still, it was the long TD run by Hall that put the Cougars within striking distance. Numbers are skewed because I'm sure Mercer County's time of possession in the 2nd half dwarfed the Cougars....2 possessions negated by Cougar fumbles add to the flip side of the possession, so it's rather hard to accumulate yards when you don't have the football.

Mercer Co. got the win and deservingly advances. I'm just not buying the "big adjustments" that caused Mercer Co. to win...because had the Cougars not shot themselves in the taill by their own mistakes, I don't feel Mercer Co. wins the game. The momentum shift to Mercer Co. after the kickoff return with 4.2 remaining in the half was the difference. After the Cougars scored to go up 21-6, Mercer Co. was visibly distraught and you could hear and see a lot of frustration. However, the Cougars even with a 21-14 halftime lead seemed "down" and you could feel a transition in momentum.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in regards to the Boyd post:

Look at the asst. coaches at Boyd.... see why the Devils had a time against them. If you plan for the Devils all year and dont care about beating anyone else except The Devils..... well, you win against the Devils and then loose every game from there on out. The games before hand dont mean crap if you pplay teams that dress 17 kids. Granted Boyd is BIG rotate alot of fresh kids in to keep you hoppin', but, I again go to the coaching staff and what THEY know.

Devils 42

Scotties 14

Loosing to Boyd was a gift from the Gods, Russell will not forget.

Playing Morgan in the first game was a good thing for Mercer, because it sounds like Russell runs a similar offense. It is a difficult offense to prepare for because it is so hard to simulate it in practice. Mercer on the other hand is straight forward. They want to pound it at you and physically wear you down. The difficult thing for opposing teams is that they can't simulate Mercer's size in practice. This should be a great game to watch.

Russell's offense is nothing like Morgan Co's. :confused: Not even close. :creepy:

Russell by a bunch. It doesn't sound like Mercer's offense is well suited to playing catch up, so if they fall behind early it could get ugly early. Mercer will see the Russell team that beat Ashland, not the one that lost to Boyd County.

They darn sure better if they hope to bet the Scotties! Mercer is a big, strong, physical, well-coached football team with a helluva running game and a capable defense. Russell is certainly not an unbeatable powerhouse. I expect a very close and competitive contest. Don't be shocked if Mercer pulls the upset.

They are 23 and 1 over the last two seasons. I don't think anyone is unbeatable, but Russell has certainly been a powerhouse program.

They are 23 and 1 over the last two seasons. I don't think anyone is unbeatable, but Russell has certainly been a powerhouse program.

Actually 23-2 over the past 2 years but more importantly we have a 20 game home win streak going.

Streaks aside if the Red Devils play to their capabilities they should win. However if they don't play well they will be pack'n up the uniforms and getting ready for the '06 BackYard Brawl. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that they Survive and Advance!!! Anything can happen on any given Friday that's why the game is played on the field and not on BGP!!!

Nets,

You keep saying that Morgan County beat themselves. How about those fumbles? Weren't they caused by the defense? Don't you think all those hits on the QB possibly contributed to the "errant pitches"? And while we're talking about horrific calls, how about that phantom pass interference call that set up a Morgan TD? Evidently you were watching a game the rest of us didn't see from the home stands.