Russell vs Mercer County Predictions

GOREDDEVILS

Powerhouses play in Louisville for state championships, year in and year out. Russell has never played in a title game (this might be their year).

I look for a close game, Mercer pulls it out in the end, and plays at home next week.

It's been awhile but Russell WON the AAA State Championship in 1978 in, I believe, Coach McGlone's 3rd year at Russell...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get to this round and match two teams with 10-1 records no one should expect a blowout...I know I don't...

However, I do believe that this year Russell does have the slight upperhand and I say the Devils pull this one off in a battle of ball control offenses...

Russell - 28

Mercer - 14

:fire: 58

BS! Marty Jaggers has not won a state title. Does that mean that he does not know football? Even more to the point, if I lived in Russell or was a Russell fan, would my opinion be more worthy than it is as a Garrard fan? Lastly, winning a regional title makes a team a "powerhouse" ?? You're hung up on labels.

No ,winning a regional title does not make you a powerhouse. But, winning 16 district titles, 8 regional title, and 1 state championship does.

Besides, you are the one that brought up the term powerhouse.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Mercer had a little trouble with Morgan running the counter option. The point was made that they made adjustments at halftime, and from that point on, controlled the game.

If Mercer waits until halftime to figure out how to stop misdirection, Russell will be up 30 points.

Come to think of it - I'll take that as the final margin:

Russell 46

Mercer 16

Frances

No ,winning a regional title does not make you a powerhouse. But, winning 16 district titles, 8 regional title, and 1 state championship does.

Besides, you are the one that brought up the term powerhouse.

:ylsuper: Thanks for helping me clear that up FBALL.

It actually wasnt even halftime, by the end of the first quarter. Defending the Wing-T IMO is easier to defend, all you have to do is watch the guards. They'll take you to the ball, EVERYTIME. With the counter option and other option attacks, you have a lot of different keys to look at, well, the LB's have a lot of different things that can mess with you. Morgan was running the counter option and pulling a guard, on the regular option attack they werent pulling anyboy, so, the LB's key changed. This week, it wont. It will be the same. The guards take you right to it, 90% of the time, sometimes they influence, not much.

It actually wasnt even halftime, by the end of the first quarter. Defending the Wing-T IMO is easier to defend, all you have to do is watch the guards. They'll take you to the ball, EVERYTIME. With the counter option and other option attacks, you have a lot of different keys to look at, well, the LB's have a lot of different things that can mess with you. Morgan was running the counter option and pulling a guard, on the regular option attack they werent pulling anyboy, so, the LB's key changed. This week, it wont. It will be the same. The guards take you right to it, 90% of the time, sometimes they influence, not much.

Your about to find out Russell will throw some Power I and Shot Gun at Mercer this year mixed in with that Wing T.

Russell's Wing-T is not as much about deception as it is execution. If stopping it was as simple as following the gaurds they would not have rushed for over 3,000 yards this season.

But your right. It is easy to defend. Ask coach McGlone and he will tell you they only run 4 plays. :D;)

Buffalo Gap -

I mean no disrespect to the Mercer County team, but if you come into Henry R. Evans stadium thinking you will only see the Wing T, just read the guards, and fly to the ball, well -

You are correct, in that the uncovered linemen on a well coached team will take you to the play 90% of the time. That is not just true of a Wing-T, but any line that has been taught well. I don't know what base defense Mercer County runs, but if you are in an even front, the guards won't be uncovered. If you are in an odd front, and Russell goes to the Power I, are you gonna key the guards, the Fullback, the Power Back, or the I Back?

While your LB's are flying to their key, you might want to tell your corners that are now forced to play man to man, that they really need to stick with their coverage.

The man calling the offense on the other sideline has been doing this for a while, and I highly doubt that he hasn't faced these things before this week.

So many keys, so little time....

Frances

I bet the players themselves are busting a gut reading most of these posts... a bunch of us old has beens, wannabe's, and never were's talking like Vince Lombardi.

It will be settled by a bunch of talented kids on Friday night....will it ever get here??

Series Note:

Russell and Mercer Co have met twice before. Russell won both games

1999 playoffs 1st round: Russell 42 Mercer Co 14

2001 playoffs 1st round: Russell 21 Mercer Co 0

Well then the Scotties are due... Witha healthy dose of Marty's Magic the Scotties will scratch the Devils and run to the regionals with plenty of Alpo in the tank...

The Scotty Canines 35

Those Devils 34 (sorry blame the lovable kicker)

The Sultan... Sit Devils...Sit... Good Devils