Russell vs Mercer County Predictions

GOREDDEVILS

Offense:

Mercer:

The offensive line gets a lot of ink for size...but really the RB'S #32 and #30 are talented...Morgan penetrated their O-line a few times, especially early and make a couple of tackles for a loss, but what hurt was when they got into the open field and #30 cuts back across the field well.

Defense:

Mercer:

Morgan was able to run it on them very well. Counters and mis-direction seemed to trump the size of Mercer Co.

Special Teams:

Hey, don't kick to #32 "Sunshine" of Mercer Co. Runs like a gazelle and is strong....don't give up 14 points when you don't have to. Maybe if I were Mercer Co...maybe put together a reverse off the kickoff???

Overall, in an unbiased look of both teams. I feel Russell is the better football team. More diverse. Mercer will not throw it on the Red Devil 2ndary...Against Morgan Co. they (Mercer) ran it 80% to their offensive RIGHT...and ran well, probably something they saw to hurt Morgan? When they did run to their offensive "Left" they didn't have as much success...

However, Mercer's defensive line could give Russell some problems...I noticed when Morgan played the Red Devils in their meeting...Morgan's much smaller D-line were making plays and the Cougar defense really disturbed the Red Devil attack early..forcing a 2 3 and outs...on first two Red Devil possessions.

My rare prediction:

Russell 55

Mercer 35

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nets,

Heres what i got from the game. The first half, Morgan whipped Mercer's tail, having close to 200 yds in the half. The second half y'all had around 70 total yards. You dont think that didnt come from Mercer's coaching staff puting their players in a better position to make plays?!? Come on now. Actually, the difference was Mercer's physical play, around 320 yards on 35 plays..thats a little over 9 yards per carry. Scoring 48 points in 3 quarters.

The Counter Option was what Morgan was running, thats what was giving Mercer fits in the first half. If it was never stopped, why would they have gone away from it and run something different?!?! The Counter option is also what Mercer bottled up in the 2nd half.Morgan came out in the 2nd half running what was successful in the first half. which was a smart move. Why would Morgan have came out the 2nd half to run something different before what they were running successfully was ever stopped??!!!?

. Those errant pitches came from the quarterback getting hit. Thats the down side to running the option, 'bobbled' pitches. Personally, i love the option. When it's clicking, there is nothing better to watch in football, but when the opposing defense plays discaplined football, meaning.. one man on the give, one on the pitch and one on the quarterback, then Things tend to get a little chaotic. If your fullback, quarterback and pitch man(halfback) are getting popped, then those bobbled pitches and miscues happen. Ask anybody that knows about the option attack

You want to talk about fumbles resulting in loss yardage, bad breaks here, bad breaks there..then, what about that INT that was taken from Mercer for that joke of a pass interference call??

Morgan County had a very impressive squad, a bunch of hard nosed guys that like to fly around and play football, just like Mercer. Best of luck to all of y'alls kids in returning for the '06 season succesfully. For a half, it looked like a smaller Air Force Academy out there running the ball.You all have a good thing going now up there in West Liberty. Im sure we'll meet again next year.

Here's an interesting piece of info that might really not mean anything. Both Teams are 10-1. Russell's opponents record is 58-57, Mercer's are 43-73.

BuffaloGap doesn't agree, but this is more telling of what these two teams have gone through in the course of the season. Obviously, Russell has played better competition when you look at it. One team (Russell) has played teams with a combined winning percentage of just over .505 while the other (Mercer) has played a schedule with an overall winning percentage of .370.

Wow!! A thread where somebody is talking about how strong Russell's schedule is. :eek: Don't tell the Ashland fans on here.

Seriously, Russell takes alot of flack for the district schedule they play. But the top four teams in the district are all pretty good. They split with the other district in the first round and relastically had a chance to sweep all four games.

Ntrl,

You totally missed the point. I was not bragging about dressing 60 players, I was simply talking about depth and moreso Morgan County's lack of it.

But if you want to be that way, fine. I suggest you bring a book. It'll be a long trip home.

See you in a week.

That didn't take long.

A little trash talking already. :flame:

Believe me, I realize how really good Russell is.

Better be.... :sssh:

BuffaloGap doesn't agree, but this is more telling of what these two teams have gone through in the course of the season. Obviously, Russell has played better competition when you look at it. One team (Russell) has played teams with a combined winning percentage of just over .505 while the other (Mercer) has played a schedule with an overall winning percentage of .370.

Well there you go....game cancelled. We won't even bother to show up, because it sounds to me like your opponents can beat our opponents up, and since all of our opponents will be on the field with us.. Mercer simply doesn't stand a chance. Thanks for that valuable piece of insight, probably saved us alot of gas money.

Wow!! A thread where somebody is talking about how strong Russell's schedule is. :eek: Don't tell the Ashland fans on here.

Seriously, Russell takes alot of flack for the district schedule they play. But the top four teams in the district are all pretty good. They split with the other district in the first round and relastically had a chance to sweep all four games.

Just had to bring Ashland into it! LOL

Russell 35

Mercer 21

Always have to bring Ashland into it!! Most Ashland fans act like the Russell game never happened in their season! By the way this should be a great game to watch! I personally am ready to see this. I will make one prediction the Daily Independent sportswriters are crazy to rank Russell behind both Ashland a team they beat and JC a team out in the first round! Anyway I would like to see the Devils continue their success and keep rolling down the river to Da' Ville!!!

This will be one of the better games come Fri. night. Russell will be overwhelmed by the defence in the first half. This game whether you accept it or not will be a toss up. No blow out here on either side. If you don't have a special interest in a particular game and you want to watch two very good teams play smash mouth football, travel to this game and you want be sorry.

Mercer 21

Russel 20