Russell vs Mercer County Predictions

GOREDDEVILS

You Russell fans keep on with that NO RESPECT for Mercer attitude. Heres the thing, last nite they played Morgan County, a very good team, that ran the option attack very well. If you have played football and have knowledge of it in any capacity, one will know that playing someone that runs the option, wing-t, etc...then it usually takes a quarter or so to adjust to it. Thats exactly what happened, Mercer put the clamps down after halftime and thats what Coach Jaggers does, he is great at making adjustments.

Another fact, Mercer County lines up in the wishbone and comes right at you, nothing fancy..If any of you know anything about the wishbone offense, then you will know that it can be an EQUALIZER if ran efficiently to the least, if you run it like Mercer has ran it at times this year, then it can be a complete DEMORALIZER, it wears on you, it beats the other team up after a while, just ask Morgan County. 2 yards here, 8 here, -2 here, 3 here, then boom 20+yds. Thats pretty much how it has worked for Mercer this year. Whatever the outcome of the game, it's not gonna be a blow out for either team and if you Russell fans think you are gonna be in for an easy nitet...then,well, just keep thinking that. Im not picking a score or a winner. I just know it's going to be a good high school football game for sure. Lets Go MERCER!!!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am reading all this correctly, I would say Mercer has a bigger

advantage on pounding away at the Russell d-line, rather than

running the option to the outside and letting the Devil speed become

a factor. To me, Mercer shouldn't try to be equalizing with that line

but rather taking over.

Russell will come with a similar style of offense out of the Wing-T.

In this case it will be that offense that will have to be doing the

equalizing against a huge Mercer County line, and thus far this year,

the Wing-T has. Both these teams will pound it out and try to DE-

MORALIZE the other's defense. Russell's passing attack has proven

to be more effective over the past couple weeks and could prove to

be a big advantage for the Devils.

Both teams sound as if they are peaking at just the right time and

would lead me to believe there is going to be many big hits and

lots of grinding it out on the ground.

Red Shift,

I completly agree with your last paragraph.... Let me say that, Mercer has taken over with their line, in every game this year, even against Newport, they dominated the LOS. Mercer will try to do the same this week,granted, Russell will be the best team Mercer has played this year.

They dont try to equalize, they use their line to their strength, big time. I was just saying that it can be an equalizer for any average team. Mercer doesnt run the option, i was referring to Morgan County running the option. Best of luck to both teams. It should be a great fight!! :thumb:

Red Shift,

I agree. Mercer has taken over with their line, in every game this year. Granted, Russell will be the best team Mercer has played this year. They dont try to equalize, they use their line to their strength, big time. I was just saying that it can be an equalizer for any average team. Mercer doesnt run the option, i was referring to Morgan County running the option. Best of luck to both teams. It should be a great fight!!

Russell is far more Deep than Morgan County they was missing some key players against Mercer.

And, so was Mercer, they were missing key players as well. Their best player, Brandon Scheller, sidelined with a torn ACL.

Hey Gap,

Is he out for the season? That's a tough injury to return from? Is he a senior? I'd hate to see a kid miss a playoff run his senior season. (ie Justin Potter of the Devils) Dislocated his ankle and broke his leg against morgan County 5th game of the year and is missing the rest of his senior season.