Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Carson Palmer Thread

Featured Replies

Al Davis is done. Brown seems to be much better than he has been in the past. Give credit where credit is due.

 

Brown hasn't been better lately. He signed a guy to a contract that can't practice. He only started making changes when fans quit buying tickets at a brand new stadium. He got lucky that Palmer was there the year they picked number 1. He could have been unlucky and had to take a J. Russel. The Radiers are going to surprise people this year IMO.

  • Replies 202
  • Views 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brown hasn't been better lately. He signed a guy to a contract that can't practice. He only started making changes when fans quit buying tickets at a brand new stadium. He got lucky that Palmer was there the year they picked number 1. He could have been unlucky and had to take a J. Russel. The Radiers are going to surprise people this year IMO.

 

The Bengals haven't drafted and used Free Agency better this decade than they did in the 90s? Bryant wasn't a short term signee, I don't see why it matters if he can't practice.

The Bengals haven't drafted and used Free Agency better this decade than they did in the 90s? Bryant wasn't a short term signee, I don't see why it matters if he can't practice.

 

Who is their biggest free agent ever? They go out and get talented but troubled players. They are the home of all the guys who have legal trouble in the NFL. Brown does it b/c they are cheaper. He's a hack. I would say law of averages say they are going to draft guys every once in a while that can play. They aren't world beaters in the draft by any means though. Last year they didn't use their 1st or 3rd round pick very well at all.

 

And it matters b/c did they not have their medical staff check him out? Even Chris Collinsworth said if TB didn't even try to sign him the Bengals should have seen that as a red flag.

Who is their biggest free agent ever? They go out and get talented but troubled players. They are the home of all the guys who have legal trouble in the NFL. Brown does it b/c they are cheaper. He's a hack. I would say law of averages say they are going to draft guys every once in a while that can play. They aren't world beaters in the draft by any means though. Last year they didn't use their 1st or 3rd round pick very well at all.

 

And it matters b/c did they not have their medical staff check him out? Even Chris Collinsworth said if TB didn't even try to sign him the Bengals should have seen that as a red flag.

 

What single free agent the last few years would have made Cincy an instant contender? Brandon Marshall is great but he caught a million balls last year and didn't help the Broncos get to the playoffs, so I don't think his presence alone would make them a Super Bowl favorite. What moves could they have made?

What single free agent the last few years would have made Cincy an instant contender? Brandon Marshall is great but he caught a million balls last year and didn't help the Broncos get to the playoffs, so I don't think his presence alone would make them a Super Bowl favorite. What moves could they have made?

 

I like how you danced all the other issues. You said they are better at free agency. I asked where they were good? They are only good at bringing in guys w/ a troubled past and hoping it doesn't back fire. Unfortunately last year one of those made a tragic mistake and it cost him his life. They aren't good at free agency. They bring in guys who have legal issues and pray. ie...Benson, Tank, Henry, Matt Jones, Adam Jones...or guys on the very back end of their career and some work out and some don't. I as a fan of the Bengals hope they all work out. It doesn't mean Mike Brown is a good talent evaluator all of a sudden.

Don't you all worry about Carson. He is a Big Creek Moonshiner now. You can bet the house that I will coach him up and he will have one of if not the best year of his career ! :clap:

I like how you danced all the other issues. You said they are better at free agency. I asked where they were good? They are only good at bringing in guys w/ a troubled past and hoping it doesn't back fire. Unfortunately last year one of those made a tragic mistake and it cost him his life. They aren't good at free agency. They bring in guys who have legal issues and pray. ie...Benson, Tank, Henry, Matt Jones, Adam Jones...or guys on the very back end of their career and some work out and some don't. I as a fan of the Bengals hope they all work out. It doesn't mean Mike Brown is a good talent evaluator all of a sudden.

 

I never said he was a great evaluator of talent but I'll take the Bengals moves over the last 6 or 7 years over the Raiders moves and not think twice about it and so would anyone else with a pulse. Which team has more talent right now?

  • Author
I went against my own argument? How so? Bad teams draft #1. Teams taking a QB at #1 should feel that they are drafting a legit QB and potential future star. Real star QB's win or get to Super Bowls or atleast make deep runs in the playoffs. It's cut and dry. Do you think Lions or Raiders fans don't have dreams that their teams could one day win the Super Bowl?

 

Palmer got drafted in 2003 and has yet to win a playoff game. In that time he's thrown to two Pro Bowl WRs and had 2 Pro Bowl RBs to hand off to. Not getting it done is not getting it done, please stop with the excuses.

 

You admit that a number one pick goes to a bad team. Well Palmer went to the worst franchise that there has been in football for the previous 12 or 13 years before him. He didn't just join a bad team, he just a bad franchise with NO RECENT success at all. Yet you act like since he has not one a playoff game, its a disappointment about he has accomplished with this franchise since he been here? Wow there is nothing more to really say to you about this, if thats what you think.

 

I have admitted though that now is the time for him to get the team even further. Since he got here, he has made this team into a team that has made the playoffs, and competed for the playoffs until the last weeks. I don't what more a person who knows something about football could ask for, if you look at how the franchise was when he got there. Now is the time for him to get them over the next hump though, but definitely no disappointment for his career so far, from what he took over.

  • Author
Al Davis is done. Brown seems to be much better than he has been in the past. Give credit where credit is due.

 

Now this I agree with. I don't say much about Mike Brown anymore because he has done a better job lately. He is still cheap, but at least he does try to make moves to help the team. The moves he made this off season, are moves that make this team a team that could make a run in the playoffs. That is why I say now is the time when we cfan really start judging Palmer. Now is the time to get over the next hump.

You guys are really still fighting about this. :lol:

 

There comes a point where you agree to disagree, but they disagreed about that too... :lol:

I never said he was a great evaluator of talent but I'll take the Bengals moves over the last 6 or 7 years over the Raiders moves and not think twice about it and so would anyone else with a pulse. Which team has more talent right now?

 

 

 

It all boils down to the Bengals got lucky w/ Palmer and Oakland was unlucky w/ Russel. If the Bengals would have got an awful QB instead of Palmer my guess is they would have really struggled to be on TV around here the last 5 years. Brown has still been bad over the last 6 or 7 years. It's just that guys that get in trouble that nobody else will take know they can come to Cincy.

 

I'm not sure who has more talent. I just saw a futures line that has Cincy's O/U on wins as 8 and the Raiders at 6.5. That's not too far off on wins. I do however thing Oakland beat the Bengals last year and Oakland has a better QB than they did last year.

You admit that a number one pick goes to a bad team. Well Palmer went to the worst franchise that there has been in football for the previous 12 or 13 years before him. He didn't just join a bad team, he just a bad franchise with NO RECENT success at all. Yet you act like since he has not one a playoff game, its a disappointment about he has accomplished with this franchise since he been here? Wow there is nothing more to really say to you about this, if thats what you think.

 

I have admitted though that now is the time for him to get the team even further. Since he got here, he has made this team into a team that has made the playoffs, and competed for the playoffs until the last weeks. I don't what more a person who knows something about football could ask for, if you look at how the franchise was when he got there. Now is the time for him to get them over the next hump though, but definitely no disappointment for his career so far, from what he took over.

 

With your first point you're arguing about something that I'm not even talking about. Do you think that if you take a QB #1 over all in the draft you should believe the guy is good enough to lead your franchise to the promise land? If so you agree with me, if not then I'd hate to have you making my draft choices. So in taking Palmer #1 overall the Bengals must have felt that he was able to eventually mature and become a top of the line QB. With a #1 pick at QB I want a Peyton Manning (though not many are that good) and not an average guy or a guy like JaMarcus Russell. I'll take my average QB late in round 1 or in round 2 or later.

 

I don't see how his career isn't a disappointment. The consensus is that he had two great years, but those were quite a few years back. He's 3 or 4 years removed from playing his best football and he's not even old yet. He should be in the middle or end of his prime. He's been in the league for 7 years and only two of his years have been really good ones. Sure maybe the talent wasn't as good last year to throw to but it's improved infinitely in his tenure. He's been to the playoffs twice and never won a playoff game. Compared to many other #1 pick QBs he's had a great career, but in the grand scheme of things he's been average. 2 very good years does not a career make especially when it's followed by years of being average. He's no bust but he's far from having been a great #1 pick. That could all change but the facts are the facts man.

I would expect that any team selecting a QB as the overall #1 has to feel he's a guy that will lead them into the playoffs and beyond. I seriously think that if you could go back to CPs rookie year and ask him what his career expectations and goals were, he would not have said no playoff wins in the 1st 7 years. Right now, I think he would tell you he has not reached has goals and expectations. And guess what that's called if you don't reach those? DISAPPOINTMENT!

I would expect that any team selecting a QB as the overall #1 has to feel he's a guy that will lead them into the playoffs and beyond. I seriously think that if you could go back to CPs rookie year and ask him what his career expectations and goals were, he would not have said no playoff wins in the 1st 7 years. Right now, I think he would tell you he has not reached has goals and expectations. And guess what that's called if you don't reach those? DISAPPOINTMENT!

 

I would say that's fair if they had scouts or a front office that knew how to win. As it stands they have an old man that thinks he can do it himself even though over 20 years of terrible decision making says otherwise. Palmer hasn't been great, but he's had two major injuries. He has some things to overcome that some other high picks don't.

I would say that's fair if they had scouts or a front office that knew how to win. As it stands they have an old man that thinks he can do it himself even though over 20 years of terrible decision making says otherwise. Palmer hasn't been great, but he's had two major injuries. He has some things to overcome that some other high picks don't.

 

What has he had to overcome? Injuries? Major injuries happen to everyone in the NFL not named Brett Favre or Peyton Manning. Tim Couch tore his rotator cuff. David Carr was never healthy.

 

Bad teams? You can't get much worse than being drafted by an expansion team and having to start immediately. The Browns aren't a worse organization than the Bengals?

 

It's excuses man. He's been a disappointment. Like I said he's not a bust but he's not the franchise savior he was expected to be with a number 1 pick. Just because he's turned out better than Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell doesn't mean he's been a huge success. I get why you guys are defending him but at some point you just have to be honest with yourself.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.