August 11, 201016 yr What has he had to overcome? Injuries? Major injuries happen to everyone in the NFL not named Brett Favre or Peyton Manning. Tim Couch tore his rotator cuff. David Carr was never healthy. Bad teams? You can't get much worse than being drafted by an expansion team and having to start immediately. The Browns aren't a worse organization than the Bengals? It's excuses man. He's been a disappointment. Like I said he's not a bust but he's not the franchise savior he was expected to be with a number 1 pick. Just because he's turned out better than Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell doesn't mean he's been a huge success. I get why you guys are defending him but at some point you just have to be honest with yourself. Count me as with you CatsCatsCats! :ylsuper::thumb:
August 11, 201016 yr What has he had to overcome? Injuries? Major injuries happen to everyone in the NFL not named Brett Favre or Peyton Manning. Tim Couch tore his rotator cuff. David Carr was never healthy. Bad teams? You can't get much worse than being drafted by an expansion team and having to start immediately. The Browns aren't a worse organization than the Bengals? It's excuses man. He's been a disappointment. Like I said he's not a bust but he's not the franchise savior he was expected to be with a number 1 pick. Just because he's turned out better than Alex Smith or JaMarcus Russell doesn't mean he's been a huge success. I get why you guys are defending him but at some point you just have to be honest with yourself. I'll say this one more time. Nobody in the history of the NFL has been drafted by a worse owner and genereal manager than Palmer was. Since 1991 the current GM of the Bengals has been in charge of a team that has a career winning percentage of .365 w/ only two playoff appearances. Both of those appearances are w/ Palmer as the QB. HE's accomplished twice in 5 years as a starter what no other QB could do since 1991. There is a salary cap set up so that teams make the playoffs more than twice in 20 years. Palmer hasn't been great, but nobody's arguing that he is great. You are saying he's extremely overrated and he's never been elite. I think that is way off. He had 9 straight games with a passer rating over 100 which ties the NFL record. If you take Palmer's wining percentage away from Brown you have something way lower. Palmer has suffered two major injuries and hasn't regained that form. He isn't top 5 right now, but he still is better than you give him credit for. As some people have mentioned this is a big year for him, but I still think he is in a bad spot.
August 11, 201016 yr I'll say this one more time. Nobody in the history of the NFL has been drafted by a worse owner and genereal manager than Palmer was. Since 1991 the current GM of the Bengals has been in charge of a team that has a career winning percentage of .365 w/ only two playoff appearances. Both of those appearances are w/ Palmer as the QB. HE's accomplished twice in 5 years as a starter what no other QB could do since 1991. There is a salary cap set up so that teams make the playoffs more than twice in 20 years. Palmer hasn't been great, but nobody's arguing that he is great. You are saying he's extremely overrated and he's never been elite. I think that is way off. He had 9 straight games with a passer rating over 100 which ties the NFL record. If you take Palmer's wining percentage away from Brown you have something way lower. Palmer has suffered two major injuries and hasn't regained that form. He isn't top 5 right now, but he still is better than you give him credit for. As some people have mentioned this is a big year for him, but I still think he is in a bad spot. All I ever hear for Palmer are excuses by Bengals fan. The same people that argue that Cincy has a good team this year argue that the ownership is poor and it's a bad situation. You can't have it both ways. Carson didn't play on the 90s Bengals, so I don't see why you're throwing that out there. The team is and has been more talented in his tenure than the Bengals ever were during the 90s. This same poor ownership put two Pro Bowl WRs at Carson disposal, two Pro Bowl RBs, and what is now a pretty good defense. Cry me a river man, poor Carson Palmer. Are you telling me that the Lions and Browns aren't worse franchises? Are you really going to go that far?
August 11, 201016 yr FWIW, my good friend who is an athletic trainer for the Bengals, swears up and down that Palmer is washed up and has been for quite some time. I tend to disagree, but he does see him virtually every single day, so....:idunno:
August 11, 201016 yr FWIW, my good friend who is an athletic trainer for the Bengals, swears up and down that Palmer is washed up and has been for quite some time. I tend to disagree, but he does see him virtually every single day, so....:idunno: I think he may very well be. A major arm injury on your throwing arm can do that to you. He would have been better off having the surgery IMO, but he was the one talking to doctors.
August 11, 201016 yr All I ever hear for Palmer are excuses by Bengals fan. The same people that argue that Cincy has a good team this year argue that the ownership is poor and it's a bad situation. You can't have it both ways. Carson didn't play on the 90s Bengals, so I don't see why you're throwing that out there. The team is and has been more talented in his tenure than the Bengals ever were during the 90s. This same poor ownership put two Pro Bowl WRs at Carson disposal, two Pro Bowl RBs, and what is now a pretty good defense. Cry me a river man, poor Carson Palmer. Are you telling me that the Lions and Browns aren't worse franchises? Are you really going to go that far? Yes. Mike Brown is the worst owner and GM in all of professional sports IMO w/ the possible exception of Sterling from the Clippers. The Bengals should be able to draft guys that play in the pro bowl they draft in the top 10 so regulary that they can't miss every single time. They do miss a ton however. The Browns and Lions hire football operations people at least. They may not always hire the right ones, but at least their owners are willing to admit they can't do it all alone.
August 11, 201016 yr I think he may very well be. A major arm injury on your throwing arm can do that to you. He would have been better off having the surgery IMO, but he was the one talking to doctors. Wait...other top pick QBs have had arm injuries. I thought Palmer was a singular case and deserved our sympathy?
August 11, 201016 yr I think he may very well be. A major arm injury on your throwing arm can do that to you. He would have been better off having the surgery IMO, but he was the one talking to doctors. Well from what he's said, it's not his arm that's the problem, but his leg. Isn't able to get the strong plant and drive on his throws, causing his ball to sail and his accuracy to dip. He still says it goes back to the knee injury, which has caused him to age a lot quicker than expected.
August 11, 201016 yr Wait...other top pick QBs have had arm injuries. I thought Palmer was a singular case and deserved our sympathy? Where did I say no other QB has had an injury?
August 11, 201016 yr Well from what he's said, it's not his arm that's the problem, but his leg. Isn't able to get the strong plant and drive on his throws, causing his ball to sail and his accuracy to dip. He still says it goes back to the knee injury, which has caused him to age a lot quicker than expected. I could see that too. He also hasn't had as good of a line since 05 and he's missed some throws I think b/c he's worried about getting hit. He's nowhere near as good as he was in 05, but I don't think he's bad either.
August 11, 201016 yr Where did I say no other QB has had an injury? When you said no other #1 pick has had to go through stuff as tough as Palmer.
August 11, 201016 yr When you said no other #1 pick has had to go through stuff as tough as Palmer. No I didn't. I'm the second person you have made stuff up about in this thread. I said he has had injuries. My point and it should be painfully obvious is he has a terrible owner who happens to be a terrible GM too. It's obvious what I said.
August 11, 201016 yr I would say that's fair if they had scouts or a front office that knew how to win. As it stands they have an old man that thinks he can do it himself even though over 20 years of terrible decision making says otherwise. Palmer hasn't been great, but he's had two major injuries. He has some things to overcome that some other high picks don't. Straight from the horses mouth SSC.
August 11, 201016 yr I would agree with that but the big thing is Mike Brown has been so terrible at running a franchise for so long that it hurts Palmer. He's getting credit nationally for going for it this year by bringing in a 37 year old receiver with his own reality show on VH1 and another receiver who's knee is so bad he's only practiced once. Their offense is painfully predictable and they kept the coordinator. Palmer has had to be very good just to lead them to two division wins and the brink of another playoff appearance. He didn't get drafted into a good situation. I know a lot of number 1 overall picks are in bad situations but Palmer's was worse than all of the others IMO. Yeah, I sure made that up SSC. Amnesia much:lol:?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.