Florida Gators & OL being investigated by NCAA for possible violations

MountainThunder

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MT-I understand where you ar coming from, but let me give another side of the story......every single year the NCAA has their rules committee send the information to the universitites in terms of what is allowed and what is not, and then the compliance officers at the institutions have meetings to remind the players of the actions that are not allowed by the NCAA specifically with regards to agents. in my opinion, at what age/point do the players have to take responsibility? Yes I am sure they have been coddled all of their life and in many case been given things to attract them to different colleges to begin with, so I am sure for many of them they just look at it as the gifts keep rolling in.

I know of one very high profile SEC star that played in the NFL that you would never suspect was on the take, but was. He then hired an agent to negotiate his first contract and then fired him and hired a relative with no experience to represent him. He could do whatever he wanted to do and yes many agents are snakes in the grass, but they are playing with their good friend the athletes-the rats, and the NCAA-the skunk. The whole jungle is littered with critters. I don't feel sorry for Pouncy if the story is true. HE should be punished. (I think on that point we agree.)

MT-I understand where you ar coming from, but let me give another side of the story......every single year the NCAA has their rules committee send the information to the universitites in terms of what is allowed and what is not, and then the compliance officers at the institutions have meetings to remind the players of the actions that are not allowed by the NCAA specifically with regards to agents. in my opinion, at what age/point do the players have to take responsibility? Yes I am sure they have been coddled all of their life and in many case been given things to attract them to different colleges to begin with, so I am sure for many of them they just look at it as the gifts keep rolling in.

I know of one very high profile SEC star that played in the NFL that you would never suspect was on the take, but was. He then hired an agent to negotiate his first contract and then fired him and hired a relative with no experience to represent him. He could do whatever he wanted to do and yes many agents are snakes in the grass, but they are playing with their good friend the athletes-the rats, and the NCAA-the skunk. The whole jungle is littered with critters. I don't feel sorry for Pouncy if the story is true. HE should be punished. (I think on that point we agree.)

Is this the Pouncy that came back for his Sr. year or the one that went pro? If it's the latter, then he will not be punished only the teamates he left behind.

From what I read, Pouncy took the money between the SEC Championship and the Sugar Bowl, making him ineligible to play against UC; therefore, Florida will have to forfeit that game only. Any other sanctions would not involve games.

Wouldn't they also have to forefit their earnings from the game though also? Not just the W?

I wonder if UK fans will run to defend UF here like they would if this was a Calipari player....

I wont defend UF, just as I wouldn't defend UK in a similar matter. I do however think it is IMPOSSIBLE for the institution (UF) in this case and the coach (Meyer) to keep this from happening. It is a completely flawed system. If the student-athlete (Pouncy) in this case doesn't care about his school or his friends any more than that, how can you stop this? Now, I despise UF and Meyer greatly, could care less about Pouncy - but I truly feel that there is very little that could keep him from doing this. Just as I would feel if this were ANY other school out there. I think it is a very sad situation that the NCAA and it's member institutions are in.

I wonder if UK fans will run to defend UF here like they would if this was a Calipari player....

Most do defend their own with more fervor than if it is an opponent, that is very true. And not just UK fans are guilty of this. However, I am an avid UK fan and could care less what school it is from when it comes to my feeling on the actions of some agents. A recruiting violation is one thing and something a school should be held accountable for, ... an agent preying on young kids by handing them a little cash is another. I realize the schools tell these kids very specifically what to watch out for, but a slick agent telling some 20 year old kid "sign with me after you are done with football, and I can get you a little cash now", is a problem that is hard for a young kid to walk away from.

I wont defend UF, just as I wouldn't defend UK in a similar matter. I do however think it is IMPOSSIBLE for the institution (UF) in this case and the coach (Meyer) to keep this from happening. It is a completely flawed system. If the student-athlete (Pouncy) in this case doesn't care about his school or his friends any more than that, how can you stop this? Now, I despise UF and Meyer greatly, could care less about Pouncy - but I truly feel that there is very little that could keep him from doing this. Just as I would feel if this were ANY other school out there. I think it is a very sad situation that the NCAA and it's member institutions are in.

I agree and I don't have a solution for how to keep these ethically bankrupt agents away from the kids. These snakes will find a way to slither into the backyard of college athletes. How can the NCAA keep them away?

I was about ready to post, "I wonder if HT721 will come on here and say, 'Would UK fans run to defend UF here like they would if this was a Calipari player'." Looks like you beat me to it :D

I was about ready to post, "I wonder if HT721 will come on here and say, 'Would UK fans run to defend UF here like they would if this was a Calipari player'." Looks like you beat me to it :D

:lol: Exactly.