Florida Gators & OL being investigated by NCAA for possible violations

MountainThunder

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The family called 911 and he was admitted to the hospital wasn't he?

I didn't say he didn't have health problems too. But, obviously his health isn't that bad if he can continue coaching. That whole situation was really fishy to me. He quit for about a day, said he was going to take some time off and took about a week.

I just don't buy it completely. But I don't buy alot of what Meyer says. As far as coaching goes he is by far my favorite guy to study and is the reason I like the strategic side of football, but he's always had something about him that I just don't trust.

I agree and I don't have a solution for how to keep these ethically bankrupt agents away from the kids. These snakes will find a way to slither into the backyard of college athletes. How can the NCAA keep them away?[/QUOTE]

I wish I had the answer MT. I understand that someone has to be punished (in most cases), but I just don't think this system is right.

I was about ready to post, "I wonder if HT721 will come on here and say, 'Would UK fans run to defend UF here like they would if this was a Calipari player'." Looks like you beat me to it :D

This is for the same type of situation we've beaten to a pulp in basketball regarding Calipari. But as a few on here have stated it's a huge problem for the NCAA with not a lot of good answers on how to prevent it. Or even how to fairly punish it. A lot of times it seems unfair because when it hits the fan a coach who caused it or failed to supervise enough and let it happen can pack up shop and move on while the school he was coaching gets to take the punishment.

Until each NCAA sport and their professional counterparts decide they want to work together to keep these guys out of the college game, not much can be done.

If the professional sports would ban agents who had been found guilty of tampering with a collegiate student athlete from representing professional athletes, that might curb it a little bit. Penalize the snakes who cause these types of issues where the only people penalized are those who seem to have nothing to do with it (eg. the college, the remaining student athletes, etc).

This is for the same type of situation we've beaten to a pulp in basketball regarding Calipari. But as a few on here have stated it's a huge problem for the NCAA with not a lot of good answers on how to prevent it. Or even how to fairly punish it. A lot of times it seems unfair because when it hits the fan a coach who caused it or failed to supervise enough and let it happen can pack up shop and move on while the school he was coaching gets to take the punishment.

If you can be with an monitor your children 24/7 then you are a better man than I. The problem lies with the loads of cash the agents who lack any ethics can make off these athletes that are the problem. There is no way that an institution or coach can monitor every kid they coach 24/7. If a snake finds a hole to sneak in to get their food, they will do it. And that is what I think of some of these agents. It never seems that the big name agents ever have their names linked with this type of behavior. The reason is probably that they don't have to and don't want to sully their reputation.

If the professional sports would ban agents who had been found guilty of tampering with a collegiate student athlete from representing professional athletes, that might curb it a little bit. Penalize the snakes who cause these types of issues where the only people penalized are those who seem to have nothing to do with it (eg. the college, the remaining student athletes, etc).

Doesn't the state of Florida have stiff laws against the stuff going on in the Pouncey case?

Doesn't the state of Florida have stiff laws against the stuff going on in the Pouncey case?

Very tough, I saw where Florida officials were looking in to it. Most of it has to do with agents being registered though and not just contacting students.

Bama best returning Lineman was also at the party. If an agent paid his way to Miami then he might miss a few games. Coach Saban has his media day tomorrow and you know he isn't happy. I also heard that a fellow player from North Carolina paid his way (Bama Player) to the party.

A lot of anger on the Bama sites.

Hilarious now it's got UK tied too it. Yes I think agents pre on athletes and the whole punishment system is messed up. While you are on UK Bassett/Mumme etc got them in trouble but it was the kids left behind that paid the price. Something the NCAA has to fix IMO. I am also an Urban Myer fan and I think Florida recruites itself. The thing I think is interesting is if they get in big trouble what will happen at FSU. FSU now has a new staff in place and would probably benefit the most by Fla getting slammed.

I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that as many as 20 states have passed laws which allows colleges/universities to sue agents for $$$ lost due to NCAA sanctions, loss of bowl games, lost games, lost TV revenues, etc resulting from agent actions which resulted in NCAA penalties. That is a start.

The NFL also has a process to decertify agents who are found guilty of tampering or gifts given to collegiate athletes which impacts their eligibility. The NBA has no process to date, but is looking at it (so I have heard).

I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that as many as 20 states have passed laws which allows colleges/universities to sue agents for $$$ lost due to NCAA sanctions, loss of bowl games, lost games, lost TV revenues, etc resulting from agent actions which resulted in NCAA penalties. That is a start.

The NFL also has a process to decertify agents who are found guilty of tampering or gifts given to collegiate athletes which impacts their eligibility. The NBA has no process to date, but is looking at it (so I have heard).

They also were talking about how hard it is to actually prove the agent had anything to do with it with cash payments, backdated receipts, etc...such a bad situation.