Why is Ryle so.............................

Ram

I have friends in Northern Kentucky and they all say people are just scared of Ryle. Now some of you will say that you fear no one, and I don't mean that you fear getting beat, I mean they are scared because they all feel that Ryle will be one, if not the, best Northern Kentucky teams soon. Hated? I don't know. But there is a lot of eyes on them.

The thing with Ryle is there simply not happy with where there at. They believe they can be the best 6A team in NKY and they have everyone buying into it. There is a reason why they keep scheduling Highlands, because they know to be the man you have to beat the man. Ryle will be interesting to follow over the next 5 years.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryle's field was paid for completely by private funds.

The Alexander's generosity did not cover the entire cost , thus , tax dollars were going to have to be used. The school board correctly decided that wasn't a good idea.

So I have a question for you Clyde. Ryle's field (that was paid for by private funds) was recently allocated approximately 25K in tax dollars for repairs that were required since the general contractor that installed the field would not come back to fix some problems after installation. Why shouldn't repairs also be paid for with private funds? Perhaps a repair/maintenance fund should have been set aside from their private donor to cover upkeep on the field. As a taxpayer, seems like a waste of money to me when other schools facilities are lagging far behind Ryle's.

So I have a question for you Clyde. Ryle's field (that was paid for by private funds) was recently allocated approximately 25K in tax dollars for repairs that were required since the general contractor that installed the field would not come back to fix some problems after installation. Why shouldn't repairs also be paid for with private funds? Perhaps a repair/maintenance fund should have been set aside from their private donor to cover upkeep on the field. As a taxpayer, seems like a waste of money to me when other schools facilities are lagging far behind Ryle's.

Did these funds come from the athletic department or the county school board? I think that is more money than a athletic department in Boone County could afford to spend on a field in one year for maintenance.

Did these funds come from the athletic department or the county school board? I think that is more money than a athletic department in Boone County could afford to spend on a field in one year for maintenance.

Below taken from Boone County School Board website. This is from their May meeting notes.

"The board accepted the proposal from Paul Michels & Sons for the Ryle Turf Project in the amount of $23,950."

So, it appears the funds came from the board.

Living here in NKY I don't sense any dislike for Ryle. They're set up to be strong in every single sport every single year.
I don't sense that either. Negativity usually comes from a few Trinity or St. X fans when it comes time for them to play Ryle; but that's about it.

Good question, my man.

Maybe the school board's hand was forced. What would have happened if the problems were not fixed? What kind of problems were there?

Let me say that I am not sure where the funds to fix the field are coming from but I do know that Boone County School Board has to approve any type of repairs/building etc. Eventhough the field was built using private funds the board had to approve the project and the company that was building it.

Not exactly sure of how accurate this is, but this was what I was told. The company that installed the turf was out of PA; they did not honor their contract of coming back to make general repairs, ie. re-stitching of numbers, hash marks etc. Ryle had originally held the balance of funds back from the first company for repairs and paid a new company to come in and do the repairs with the money that was held back from the original contractor. Again, I am not sure how accurate this is but it came from a pretty reliable source.

Not exactly sure of how accurate this is, but this was what I was told. The company that installed the turf was out of PA; they did not honor their contract of coming back to make general repairs, ie. re-stitching of numbers, hash marks etc. Ryle had originally held the balance of funds back from the first company for repairs and paid a new company to come in and do the repairs with the money that was held back from the original contractor. Again, I am not sure how accurate this is but it came from a pretty reliable source.

If money was "held back" from the original contractor, then why would tax dollars need to get allocated for the field? I have no problems with private donations installing turf fields, but I do have a problem with tax dollars bailing out the particular schools/fields when things need to be repaired or when expensive maintenance is required. I feel that the Boone County School Board should require the privatization to go well beyond the initial field installation expense. Private funding should also be used for expensive maintenance and repairs. Just my two cents.

As recent as June the 2nd ... coaches at Ryle were telling outsiders that they (the school) had no clue how they were going to pay for the repairs ... I know that for a fact. When I think about meeting notes from May (from the BOE) ... I feel cheated as a tax payer in Boone County.

The BOE is paying for this .... (and you wouldn't believe some of the other factors involved) ... when the rest of the county finds out about this ... I fully expect there to be mass chaos ... as there should be.

The BOE will not even step up to the plate to provide equal facilities for all schools (there are a 2 schools in the county who have facilities that are so dangerous that they should not be having official activities on the surfaces in question). Now, they pay to get Ryle out of this mess? Nice. Real classy.

And for the record--I could care less if it is "Ryle" in particular (I know someone here who will single me out and say that I am coming down on Ryle) .. which isn't the case. The BOE is at fault here ... and it doesn't matter which school it is ..... in the end ... it is a waste of tax dollars that they should have been prepared to defend against (and they never even considered that this would have happened). And don't be surprised if this ends up costing the BOE a LOT more money by the time this is over.

"Tip of the iceberg" ...

If money was "held back" from the original contractor, then why would tax dollars need to get allocated for the field? I have no problems with private donations installing turf fields, but I do have a problem with tax dollars bailing out the particular schools/fields when things need to be repaired or when expensive maintenance is required. I feel that the Boone County School Board should require the privatization to go well beyond the initial field installation expense. Private funding should also be used for expensive maintenance and repairs. Just my two cents.

I'm not close to the situation, but this doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants to give a gift of one million dollars to a school, you think the school should refuse that gift because the school then may responsible for 25 thousand dollars worth of maintenance on that one million dollars gift? The school still saved $975,000. That's like saying to someone that gives you a million dollars, "You have to pay the taxes too, or I won't take it".

I'm not close to the situation, but this doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants to give a gift of one million dollars to a school, you think the school should refuse that gift because the school then may responsible for 25 thousand dollars worth of maintenance on that one million dollars gift? The school still saved $975,000. That's like saying to someone that gives you a million dollars, "You have to pay the taxes too, or I won't take it".

The school didn't save $975k. They could have continued with the grass field.

$25k is a lot of grass seed and gas for the tractor to cut the grass. I can certainly see where its being questioned. You can't on one hand say "we got a gift" and then on the other say "but we're going to need your help, taxpayers."

If Ryle can show how the gift saved $25k then taxpayers can accept this expenditure.

The school didn't save $975k. They could have continued with the grass field.

$25k is a lot of grass seed and gas for the tractor to cut the grass. I can certainly see where its being questioned. You can't on one hand say "we got a gift" and then on the other say "but we're going to need your help, taxpayers."

If Ryle can show how the gift saved $25k then taxpayers can accept this expenditure.

But, given the information, you have to think if someone gives you a turf field, you expect to same a substantial amount of money on maintenance. So, you would have to think by excepting that gift you will save money. They obviously had no way to know that the contractor would not live up to their obligation to provide maintenance for the turf. So, on the surface it would appear that that gift was going to save the tax payers money. What did they do wrong?

Now, they have a million dollar turf field, and it is going to cost them 25K to keep it, or God knows how much to have it ripped out, replaced by sod, and maintained over the years. Again, to be financially responsible, what should they do?