Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Julian Tackett Disrespectful (or was he right on) with a big "D"

Featured Replies

I attended the State Tournament games tonight at Applebee's Park. In the top of the 1st inning in the Harrison County vs Clay County game the Clay County catcher intentionally ran over the Harrison County catcher making no attempt to slide. Hunter Hill the Harrison County catcher held on to the ball for the final out. The Clay County player lowered his shoulder and should have been ejected from the game.

 

During the rain delay a very knowledgeable Harrison County fan asked the Commish to be why they didn't throw the Clay County player out of the game. Tackett's reply was, "I wasn't umpiring!". The Harrison County fan replied, "Well it wouldn't have mattered if you had been". Tackett's response was, "Don't be running your mouth". This is the person that was chosen by the KHSAA to lead them starting July 1st? Unreal!!!!! There is no consistancy in high school umpiring and no leadership in the KHSAA.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His ultimate response was probably rude. But I have no problem with the issue of throwing the kid out. I can't see how the commissioner would have any officiating say in an on-field play such as the one described.

That type of play is a touchy issue with the HC faithful because of the call that was made in the HC/Beechwood series last year and then the same call wasn't made in a Lex. Cath. game and the Clay County game tonight. Whether it is called one way or another is not the issue so much as having a consistent call on the same play.

 

It was obvious that Clay's runner lowered his shoulder on HC's catcher...http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2010/06/15/game-8-harrison-county-vs-clay-county/

A couple of things confuse me about this thread.

 

Who is Big D?

 

Am I supposed to mad at the commish for responding to a person who runs his mouth too much? What was the purpose of the comment made after the commish (who obviously isn't going to discuss any issues with a fan) says essentially "The umpire has to stand by the call and we'll obviously discuss it?"

  • Author

Disrespectful with a big D as in capitol D.

 

Clay County threatened in the top of the first, but John Wilson was gunned down at the plate. Wilson tried to score from first on Brandon Griffin’s double down the left-field line, but Harrison County’s Eric Sanders tracked down the ball, threw to the cut-off man, shortstop Jared Martin. Martin’s relay to catcher Hunter Hill was perfect, and Hill tagged Wilson and held onto the ball after getting bowled over.

 

This is a quote from Mike Fields.

 

And who ran his mouth too much? In my opinion Tackett did.

I attended the State Tournament games tonight at Applebee's Park. In the top of the 1st inning in the Harrison County vs Clay County game the Clay County catcher intentionally ran over the Harrison County catcher making no attempt to slide. Hunter Hill the Harrison County catcher held on to the ball for the final out. The Clay County player lowered his shoulder and should have been ejected from the game.

 

During the rain delay a very knowledgeable Harrison County fan asked the Commish to be why they didn't throw the Clay County player out of the game. Tackett's reply was, "I wasn't umpiring!". The Harrison County fan replied, "Well it wouldn't have mattered if you had been". Tackett's response was, "Don't be running your mouth". This is the person that was chosen by the KHSAA to lead them starting July 1st? Unreal!!!!! There is no consistancy in high school umpiring and no leadership in the KHSAA.

 

Actually, I read this as the Harrison County fan was the person who was disrespectful. I would have reacted much the same way Tackett did under a scenerio such as this.

 

If someone I don't know approaches me out of the blue and asks a question, I may or may not give a great answer. But, then, if the person wants to crack half smart, as the Harrison County fan did, my tongue is going to get sharper. Kudos to Tackett.

  • Author
Kudos to Tackett.

 

I have been around high school sports for 15+ years and you may be the first person to ever give Tackett a kudos for anything.

 

Good luck to the Thorobreds on Wednesday against Clay County. Finish what you started tonight.

I have been around high school sports for 15+ years and you may be the first person to ever give Tackett a kudos for anything.

 

Good luck to the Thorobreds on Wednesday against Clay County. Finish what you started tonight.

 

He handled this situation as well as anyone can expect. Again, the Harrison fan was out of line. The Harrison fan made it personal.

  • Author
He handled this situation as well as anyone can expect. Again, the Harrison fan was out of line. The Harrison fan made it personal.

 

Not sure how you think the Harrison fan made it personal. Apparently you don't know Julian Tackett very well. I guess you had to be there to see for yourself and understand what a jerk Tackett was.

Not sure how you think the Harrison fan made it personal. Apparently you don't know Julian Tackett very well. I guess you had to be there to see for yourself and understand what a jerk Tackett was.

 

I know Julian Tackett pretty well, and think he handled it right. Just because he is the commissioner doesn't mean he is going to overturn the call on the field or kick somebody out-that isn't his job. People always want some "satisfaction" from authority figures these days. The fact of the matter is the umpires were in charge of the call-if they got something wrong, then they have supervisors that will let them know. Tackett didn't have anything to do with the oil spill in Louisiana either.

Disrespectful with a big D as in capitol D.

 

Clay County threatened in the top of the first, but John Wilson was gunned down at the plate. Wilson tried to score from first on Brandon Griffin’s double down the left-field line, but Harrison County’s Eric Sanders tracked down the ball, threw to the cut-off man, shortstop Jared Martin. Martin’s relay to catcher Hunter Hill was perfect, and Hill tagged Wilson and held onto the ball after getting bowled over.

 

This is a quote from Mike Fields.

 

And who ran his mouth too much? In my opinion Tackett did.

 

Two grown men playing baseball in the state tournament, one trying to score and one trying to prevent it...It's a tough call. Many umpires have a problem throwing a player out of the game for "lowering his shoulder" in a situation such as this. Malicious contact and trying to score are two different things. It's the umpires judgement whether or not it was malicious, not the commissioner's sitting in the stands. If the Harrison County fan was as knowledgeable as you say he is, he would have kept his mouth shut and not whined to the commissioner.

I have no dog in this fight and really don't have strong opinions either way about Tackett. I'll say I'm not overly impressed with the job he does, but that's personal opinion.

 

However, it's not his call to over ride the officiating. The ump made this call. It may have been a bad call, but it is what it is. Throwing the Clay County kid out in the state tournament wouldn't have changed anything and wasn't necessary in my opinion.

 

Also, I think it was inappropriate of the Harrison County fan to address the issue. I think many would consider that rude. So, who was rude in the situation is simply a matter of opinion....

Tackett's reply was, "I wasn't umpiring!"

 

True statement. He wasn't umpiring.

 

"Well it wouldn't have mattered if you had been". Tackett's response was, "Don't be running your mouth".

 

Wow! If this is your definition of disrespectful I'm sure you're appalled on a nightly basis of what SOME Harrison Co fan's say during a game. They were unreal last year at St. Henry.

Based on Hilltopper's account above, IMO the Harrison County fan was more disrespectful than Tackett. I am sure there is a more to the story and situation. But based on what I read here, I say good for Tackett for not taking crap from some fanatic who only cares about his team winning. If you want respect, show respect.

Edited by Voice of Reason

WOW, some people will get their bloomers in a knot over anything.

 

I'll go you one better had I been Julian I would have politely asked the fan to leave.

 

I've been around high school sports for 30+ years and I think Julian will make an outstanding commissioner.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.