Ineptitude of Dusty Baker and the Red's coaching staff or just bad players?

Are the Red's players just that bad or do you feel the Red's manager and coaching staff did a terrible job of getting the team ready to start the season? I for one while watching spring training felt that they kept entirely too many players in camp right up until the last week before cutting down. I don't think that hitters got enough work against live pitching and the pitchers didn't get enough innings. Look at the stats for the starting 8 and starting pitchers and tell us what you think.

Stubbs .170 / Dickerson .244

Cabrera .254

Votto .290

Phillips .217

Rolen .260

Bruce .180

Gomes .213

Hernandez .222

Harang 8.31

Arroyo 7.43

Cueto 5.73

Bailey 7.47

Leake 3.92

This has been as disheartning a start to a Reds season as I can remember factoring in expectations. Very disheartning.

That is a large part of the problem. Lots of Reds fans on this site, as well as in general had unrealistic expectations of this team. The team does not have the roster, nor the management to be a contender this season.

They have a lot of young talent with potential but it is just that potential.

That is a large part of the problem. Lots of Reds fans on this site, as well as in general had unrealistic expectations of this team. The team does not have the roster, nor the management to be a contender this season.

I understand your point and would agree with this team. But Cincy is a big baseball city who hasn't had a winner in over a decade. They don't want the Pirates conditioning of expecting to lose every year. I agree and hope they can make changes starting within the organization that will transfer over on to the field.

Funny thing is, more than a few of us knew it would likely end up crashing and burning as soon as Dusty was hired. Reds are young, they have some pieces, you can't put it all on the coaching staff, but there needs to be a change.

WHEN Dusty goes, I'm not sure who they would turn to.

The base running has been pathetic. Unreal...

From day one Dusty said he was a big believer in fundamentals and I've watched them come out of spring training every year he's been here and make stupid mistakes that are merely fundamentals. I know you can blame that on coaching at the lower levels but these guys should have had a lot of this stuff drilled in their heads this spring. That is what spring training is for to sharpen your skills and get your mindset ready for the season.

I agree. Anyone with any realistic outlook knew this team had very little chance at getting to .500 much less competing for a playoff birth. You can't win with only 2 players that are above average.