Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Worldwide Wes

Featured Replies

  • Replies 84
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I liked to hear GT's two cents.. HAHA.

 

Must've missed his thoughts. Didn't post in this thread, but I haven't read everything. what did he say?

I did this favor for you today on the wedding of my daughter. Some day I will call upon you to do me a favor.:D

 

:lol:

Bottom line is this...for those of you saying Wes works for this person or that person or this company, that company...you couldn't be more wrong.

 

Wes works for nobody. They work for him, which is why he gets paid the way he does.

 

True enough. Wes is his own boss, which is what makes him equally effective & dangerous. I'm very surprised to hear the news that he's becoming an agent, as it seems that would restrict what he's been doing on an AAU/collegiate level.

 

But then again, I think he & Nike scratch each others' backs quite a bit. I think if there's anybody that Wes needs, it's Nike.

Since no one can pin anything illegal, or really even immoral... can someone at least come up with an example of a kid that he has helped that didn't become successful? Or maybe a kid that he has helped that has done something bad, committed a crime or something?

 

I don't blame anyone for being a little wary of what it is he exactly does, but I have seen zero evidence to make me think ill of him. I can think of plenty of kids that have had all of the talent in the world and lost everything because of bad decisions. If someone comes up with evidence that he has actually hurt a kid's chances of going to the league or gave him advise that led to ruining a kid's life then I might change my tune. Until then I don't see any reason for someone have anything bad to say about him.

 

These kids need role models and good people to look up to. Maybe everyone who feels like he's doing good are naive or maybe it's that there actually are some good people out there. In the sports age when you hear more about athletes committing crimes, DUI's, rapes, and cheating on their spouses than you do their athletic performance, maybe we have been conditioned to think the worst of everyone????? I think I'd rather be naive and commend him for helping kids achieve their dreams, if that's what he gets paid for then he deserves it.

 

Just my $.02 :idunno:

 

For the record, I don't think anything ill of him and actually do find what (I think) he does to be rather noble, when you distill it all down, and that's helping underprivileged youth realize their dreams, or even just helping them out during a tough time.

 

That he has learned how to avoid detection by the NCAA while seemingly openly flaunting the institution's oddball rules is to his credit as a manipulator extraordinaire. I'd love to see his tax returns. I think Kentucky associates with him at great risk, just as Louisville did back in the day, but can reap great rewards from it if they get away with it (just as Louisville did back in the day).

True enough. Wes is his own boss, which is what makes him equally effective & dangerous. I'm very surprised to hear the news that he's becoming an agent, as it seems that would restrict what he's been doing on an AAU/collegiate level.

 

But then again, I think he & Nike scratch each others' backs quite a bit. I think if there's anybody that Wes needs, it's Nike.

 

I'd have to disagree and say it's vice versa....Nike (Phil Knight) needs Wes.

I'd have to disagree and say it's vice versa....Nike (Phil Knight) needs Wes.

 

I think you're both wrong; the relationship is symbiotic.

  • Author

Here's an excerpt from a New York Times' article about Josh Selby.

 

At the N.B.A. Players Association Camp in Charlottesville, Va., Selby was approached by William Wesley, an influential power broker in college basketball circles, after a game. Wesley, who is known as Worldwide Wes and now represents coaches in the N.B.A. and college ranks as an agent, asked Selby, “Can you play?”

 

Selby said, “Didn’t you just watch the last game?”

 

Selby walked away, and Wesley, put off by the affront, was introduced to Selby’s mother after a later game and told her that her son needed to watch his mouth because he did not realize who he was talking to. He also advised her to hire a track coach to help improve Selby’s speed.

 

“When he said his name, my face froze,” Witherspoon said. “I was like, ‘You’re the infamous Wes. You’re the guy who everyone told me to stay away from.’ I had read all those pages about him being powerful in GQ.”

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/sports/ncaabasketball/17hoops.html?src=me

Here's an excerpt from a New York Times' article about Josh Selby.

 

At the N.B.A. Players Association Camp in Charlottesville, Va., Selby was approached by William Wesley, an influential power broker in college basketball circles, after a game. Wesley, who is known as Worldwide Wes and now represents coaches in the N.B.A. and college ranks as an agent, asked Selby, “Can you play?”

 

Selby said, “Didn’t you just watch the last game?”

 

Selby walked away, and Wesley, put off by the affront, was introduced to Selby’s mother after a later game and told her that her son needed to watch his mouth because he did not realize who he was talking to. He also advised her to hire a track coach to help improve Selby’s speed.

 

“When he said his name, my face froze,” Witherspoon said. “I was like, ‘You’re the infamous Wes. You’re the guy who everyone told me to stay away from.’ I had read all those pages about him being powerful in GQ.”

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/sports/ncaabasketball/17hoops.html?src=me

 

While WWW may end up being bad for programs, I have to feel like its kind of dumb for players not to respect him or accept him when he reaches out to them. Maybe Selby is an Adidas kind of guy?

After looking at the last article, is World Wide Wes College Basketball's version of Irving Azoff? :idunno:

For the record, I don't think anything ill of him and actually do find what (I think) he does to be rather noble, when you distill it all down, and that's helping underprivileged youth realize their dreams, or even just helping them out during a tough time.

 

That he has learned how to avoid detection by the NCAA while seemingly openly flaunting the institution's oddball rules is to his credit as a manipulator extraordinaire. I'd love to see his tax returns. I think Kentucky associates with him at great risk, just as Louisville did back in the day, but can reap great rewards from it if they get away with it (just as Louisville did back in the day).

 

Fair enough. I can't disagree with this, I just choose to see him from the distilled down side I guess.

While WWW may end up being bad for programs, I have to feel like its kind of dumb for players not to respect him or accept him when he reaches out to them. Maybe Selby is an Adidas kind of guy?

 

Why?

 

Not everyone needs him in their life to succeed. Selby's mother has done a great job with Josh and from the sounds of it, doesn't need anyone like Wes in Selby's head.

 

All Wes does is impress these young athletes with his contacts and "friends." In the long run he's simply looking out for himself by attracting these kids to certain coaches and eventually agents and shoe deals with certain companies that will benefit him.

Why?

 

Not everyone needs him in their life to succeed. Selby's mother has done a great job with Josh and from the sounds of it, doesn't need anyone like Wes in Selby's head.

 

All Wes does is impress these young athletes with his contacts and "friends." In the long run he's simply looking out for himself by attracting these kids to certain coaches and eventually agents and shoe deals with certain companies that will benefit him.

 

I agree with this assessment. Sounds to me like WWW was upset that Selby didn't 'bow down' before him.

I agree with this assessment. Sounds to me like WWW was upset that Selby didn't 'bow down' before him.

 

:thumb:

Pearl and company put a whole lot of work into making Wes out to be a bad human being to Selby and his mom this time last year, and I know that played a part in how the encounter went when it happened...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.