April 16, 201016 yr The notion that Wes does what he does out of pure benevolence is fantasyland-type stuff. How's the guy pay his bills? Sure looks like he wears some pretty expensive threads. He's got to get money from somewhere. He's not Jesus, living off the generosity of others. He may do things out of the kindness of his heart, but he's still getting something out of the deal, from somewhere, and who/whatever funds him gets something in return. That's just how it works. My guess, and this is only a wild guess, is that there is probably some shoe company money coming his way. He gets the ear of the kids, then when the shoe offers come in down the road, he could steer them towards the company who is paying him. Maybe sports agents are paying his bills then he can guide the kids who trust him towards the agents that he knows/trusts/gets paid from. Again, I am just clueless on how this guy makes living, and like you said he has bills to pay. It all seems sort of strange to me, but it seems that nearly everyone who knows the guy, really like him. I really don't know what to make of it.
April 16, 201016 yr It may even be cleaner than the shoe company money. He's a mortgage broker. I bet you he has arranged the financing on the homes of all these guys he is dealing with and more. When you think about the homes these people own, that is some serious money right there. So all he wants is the connection to the big money people and he helps them by financing their real estate ... win/win and he can be that Uncle who always has your back.
April 16, 201016 yr This is irrelevant. It is the most relevant thing mentioned. Wes isn't Wes if he doesn't have trust with these players. And he doesn't gain trust from the players if he approaches them with his hand out.
April 16, 201016 yr You guys are being very naive. This game has been going on for a long time, just by different names, and Wes is an HOFer at it. Many of these kids come from difficult situations, where the family doesn't have two nickels to rub together. If Wes is the humanitarian he's made out to be, he's helping out early on in the game. He's just very good about covering it up, that's all I'm saying. Just don't insult my and your intelligence by acting like everything is 100 percent on the up-and-up. The cops don't catch me every time I speed, and I do it a lot.
April 16, 201016 yr It is the most relevant thing mentioned. Wes isn't Wes if he doesn't have trust with these players. And he doesn't gain trust from the players if he approaches them with his hand out. As I said, he doesn't have to approach players with his hand out.
April 16, 201016 yr It may even be cleaner than the shoe company money. He's a mortgage broker. I bet you he has arranged the financing on the homes of all these guys he is dealing with and more. When you think about the homes these people own, that is some serious money right there. So all he wants is the connection to the big money people and he helps them by financing their real estate ... win/win and he can be that Uncle who always has your back. Last I heard, real estate wasn't a good business to be in. Not for a few years now.
April 16, 201016 yr You guys are being very naive. This game has been going on for a long time, just by different names, and Wes is an HOFer at it. Many of these kids come from difficult situations, where the family doesn't have two nickels to rub together. If Wes is the humanitarian he's made out to be, he's helping out early on in the game. He's just very good about covering it up, that's all I'm saying. Just don't insult my and your intelligence by acting like everything is 100 percent on the up-and-up. The cops don't catch me every time I speed, and I do it a lot. But how many times have you been ticketed in the past 25 years? If Wes is really as bad as some would make him out to be, wouldn't something have stuck over that time period. I don't even really recall any specific allegations, other than people just saying that they think he is shady, etc.
April 16, 201016 yr Last I heard, real estate wasn't a good business to be in. Not for a few years now. Maybe not as a whole, but if you are financing multi-million dollar home is bulk, a really good living can be made. My uncle is a mortgage broker out in Kansas City. Even with the housing downturn he has done quite well for himself.
April 16, 201016 yr You guys are being very naive. This game has been going on for a long time, just by different names, and Wes is an HOFer at it. Many of these kids come from difficult situations, where the family doesn't have two nickels to rub together. If Wes is the humanitarian he's made out to be, he's helping out early on in the game. He's just very good about covering it up, that's all I'm saying. Just don't insult my and your intelligence by acting like everything is 100 percent on the up-and-up. The cops don't catch me every time I speed, and I do it a lot. No, you just fail to understand what's being said. I have never once said that what Wes does is "on the up-and-up." I'm simply describing the process by which he does his work, which is this: (1) Establish trust (2) Make connections (3) Get paid. Is it shady? You better believe it.
April 16, 201016 yr Last I heard, real estate wasn't a good business to be in. Not for a few years now. So you refinance a few homes as rates drop and roll in a little more cash. There is a lot of money made being a mortgage broker for multi million dollar houses.
April 16, 201016 yr Someone asked Jay Williams on Twitter if he understood the role LeBron James and WW Wes in Calipari's recruiting success. He replied that he has known him since he was 16.
April 16, 201016 yr You guys are being very naive. This game has been going on for a long time, just by different names, and Wes is an HOFer at it. Many of these kids come from difficult situations, where the family doesn't have two nickels to rub together. If Wes is the humanitarian he's made out to be, he's helping out early on in the game. He's just very good about covering it up, that's all I'm saying. Just don't insult my and your intelligence by acting like everything is 100 percent on the up-and-up. The cops don't catch me every time I speed, and I do it a lot. Just because some of aren't saying 'he's a crook', doesn't mean we have answers. Heck, in my post, I just took a wild guess but said I really have no idea how he makes his money or what the angle is. I haven't read where anybody said they know 100% for sure, ... just that the players seem to trust him.
April 16, 201016 yr Author Last I heard, real estate wasn't a good business to be in. Not for a few years now. I'm sure the real estate business is great for people who just signed multi-million dollar contracts, so your point about the housing market to the general public is irrelevant.
April 16, 201016 yr Bottom line is this...for those of you saying Wes works for this person or that person or this company, that company...you couldn't be more wrong. Wes works for nobody. They work for him, which is why he gets paid the way he does.
April 17, 201016 yr Since no one can pin anything illegal, or really even immoral... can someone at least come up with an example of a kid that he has helped that didn't become successful? Or maybe a kid that he has helped that has done something bad, committed a crime or something? I don't blame anyone for being a little wary of what it is he exactly does, but I have seen zero evidence to make me think ill of him. I can think of plenty of kids that have had all of the talent in the world and lost everything because of bad decisions. If someone comes up with evidence that he has actually hurt a kid's chances of going to the league or gave him advise that led to ruining a kid's life then I might change my tune. Until then I don't see any reason for someone have anything bad to say about him. These kids need role models and good people to look up to. Maybe everyone who feels like he's doing good are naive or maybe it's that there actually are some good people out there. In the sports age when you hear more about athletes committing crimes, DUI's, rapes, and cheating on their spouses than you do their athletic performance, maybe we have been conditioned to think the worst of everyone????? I think I'd rather be naive and commend him for helping kids achieve their dreams, if that's what he gets paid for then he deserves it. Just my $.02 :idunno:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.