Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LexCath's turf field

Featured Replies

What year did it make its debut? I've been told it is the oldest synthetic turf field in use in the state and first one at any high school, and that its first year of use was 1998. Can anyone confirm this?

 

Thanks,

JS

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What year did it make its debut? I've been told it is the oldest synthetic turf field in use in the state and first one at any high school, and that its first year of use was 1998. Can anyone confirm this?

 

Thanks,

JS

 

I do know that Lex Cath had to move their 1998 playoff games to Georgetown. It's my understand that was because the field was un-playable. I believe that is when they decided to install field turf. It could have been 98, but my best guess would be 99. 2000 I know for a fact Boyle played on turf at Catholic.

It wasn't there in 1997 for sure and I don't believe 1998 either. 1999 sounds about right.

LexCath has FieldTurf brand turf. They and Highlands installed their turf about the same time, I'm not sure what year but I think LC was a year ahead of HHS.

 

Belfry has the same turf, so does Papa Johns and I think Letcher Central.

 

On the FieldTurf website, they used to have a link where you could search by state and see all the installations. I can't find it now, but you could probably email somebody from their website and ask.

I joined BGP in 2002 and I can remember seeing pictures of Highlands installing their turf in a thread.

I think Montgomery County is getting turf this year. Yesterday the goal posts were on the ground and one of those machines that takes up blacktop was removing the track that circles the field.

1999 is what I thought. I do know it is in terrible shape and needs replacing. We have kids get the pieces of rubber in their eyes and a ton of turf burns everytime we play at LC.

LexCath has FieldTurf brand turf. They and Highlands installed their turf about the same time, I'm not sure what year but I think LC was a year ahead of HHS.

 

Belfry has the same turf, so does Papa Johns and I think Letcher Central.

 

On the FieldTurf website, they used to have a link where you could search by state and see all the installations. I can't find it now, but you could probably email somebody from their website and ask.

 

Highlands turf isn't that old.

LexCath has FieldTurf brand turf. They and Highlands installed their turf about the same time, I'm not sure what year but I think LC was a year ahead of HHS.
Lex Cath definitely had their's in at least a couple years before us.
Highlands turf isn't that old.

 

Beechwood installed theirs the summer of 2003, I know Highlands had it either one or two years before Beechwood.

  • Author
1999 is what I thought. I do know it is in terrible shape and needs replacing. We have kids get the pieces of rubber in their eyes and a ton of turf burns everytime we play at LC.

 

I was told LexCath will be replacing theirs in advance of the 2010-11 school year.

I was told LexCath will be replacing theirs in advance of the 2010-11 school year.

 

That is good because what they have now, is a very hard surface.

That is good because what they have now, is a very hard surface.

 

:thumb:It needs it. It has held up well considering everything that they do on it.

I think Montgomery County is getting turf this year. Yesterday the goal posts were on the ground and one of those machines that takes up blacktop was removing the track that circles the field.

 

I have heard that from many sources, not from the football coaches but from people in the school and it was in the news paper. This puts Montgomery County's facilities in the top tier of the state.

What year did it make its debut? I've been told it is the oldest synthetic turf field in use in the state and first one at any high school, and that its first year of use was 1998. Can anyone confirm this?

 

Thanks,

JS

 

LexCath installed their turf in time for the 1999 football season. It will be ripped up and replaced this summer starting on June 1. I believe there will be additions and improvements to the entire sports complex at LC. This includes lights and power to the baseball part of the complex. The turf has held up well and it will be great to see how advancements and technology have improved the product. LC got 11 seasons out of the turf.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.