April 5, 201016 yr This thread should be exhibit A in the thread about things that UK fans do that irk you. Give the other team some credit, they won. It's over move on. Another reason it wasn't a fluke if they played 10 times WVA would win at least 5 of the 10. I don't see how someone would think West Virginia would win half of the time. West Virginia played as well as they probably could have played, and UK played about as bad as they could have played. If they play 10 times, UK wins AT LEAST 7 of the games IMO. Now I don't call it a fluke though, I don't think any win by a team that gets to the elite 8 is a fluke. They are a really good team, and were the better team that day, it happens.
April 5, 201016 yr It's all about matchups, and it wasn't a great matchup for UK and they shot poorly to boot. I disagree on the matchups. On paper, it was a great matchup for UK. WVU just shot the lights out, which as a team they really were really a bad 3 point shooting team. UK had to step out which opened the lanes and allowed WVU to drive and extend the lead. UK shot the ball horribly from outside on the wrong night. UK outrebounded WVU by double digits, but when a team shoots from outside the way the Mountaineers did that night, it is an uphill battle trading 2's for 3's. WVU did not hit one shot inside the paint the entire first half, but had the lead. But on paper doesn't always pan out as it didn't in that game. If WVU shoots against UK the way they shot against Duke, UK is playing Duke in the final four. But to their credit, they hit their shots and advanced. UK had a bad night on the wrong night and just got beat by a team having a good night. WVU did what they had to do and got the win.
April 5, 201016 yr I disagree on the matchups. On paper, it was a great matchup for UK. WVU just shot the lights out, which as a team they really were really a bad 3 point shooting team. UK had to step out which opened the lanes and allowed WVU to drive and extend the lead. UK shot the ball horribly from outside on the wrong night. UK outrebounded WVU by double digits, but when a team shoots from outside the way the Mountaineers did that night, it is an uphill battle trading 2's for 3's. WVU did not hit one shot inside the paint the entire first half, but had the lead. But on paper doesn't always pan out as it didn't in that game. If WVU shoots against UK the way they shot against Duke, UK is playing Duke in the final four. But to their credit, they hit their shots and advanced. UK had a bad night on the wrong night and just got beat by a team having a good night. WVU did what they had to do and got the win. West Virginia shot almost the same percentage in both games(a little better overall against Duke with a slightly lower pct. on threes) , they just shot and hit more threes versus UK. The big difference is that Duke shot 52.7% overall from the field, 52% from behind the arc and 78% from the FT line while UK shot 34.5% overall, 12.5% from behind the arc and 55.2% from the FT line.
April 5, 201016 yr Another reason it wasn't a fluke if they played 10 times WVA would win at least 5 of the 10. If they played 10 times Id spot WVU 2 games and would bet that they still wouldnt get to 5 wins.
April 5, 201016 yr A lot of you Uk fans aren't giving West Va enough credit. Uk may have missed a lot of shots but it's because they simply didn't know how to attack the 1-3-1. It's no secret they aren't a very good jump shooting team. Put them against a team like West Va who has 4 guys on the court who are 6'6 or bigger and that spells trouble for UK because of the size, athleticism, and length. I realize MOST UK fans want to make this excuse or that excuse for why they lost, but the bottom line is West Va beat them and they were the better team that night. Move on...it's over.
April 5, 201016 yr It wasn't a fluke it was a loss.UK loss to a better team that night,thats the way it goes sometimes.Now its time to put this baby to bed.
April 5, 201016 yr A lot of you Uk fans aren't giving West Va enough credit. Uk may have missed a lot of shots but it's because they simply didn't know how to attack the 1-3-1. It's no secret they aren't a very good jump shooting team. Put them against a team like West Va who has 4 guys on the court who are 6'6 or bigger and that spells trouble for UK because of the size, athleticism, and length. I realize MOST UK fans want to make this excuse or that excuse for why they lost, but the bottom line is West Va beat them and they were the better team that night. Move on...it's over. I agree with your conclusion. I do disagree with your premise bolded. It's not like UK didn't face that kind of size and athleticism in TN, UConn (who beat WVA I might add), or even Wake Forest (did you see the size of their frontline? & starting five?). Truth is, UK played badly (thinks to WVU and their great 1-3-1 zone defense) and WVU played well on offense. UK knocks down just a couple of the open looks and/or actually hits 70% from FT line & this discussion doesn't take place. It was a perfect storm caused by one team outplaying the other that night. :thumb:
April 5, 201016 yr I agree with your conclusion. I do disagree with your premise bolded. It's not like UK didn't face that kind of size and athleticism in TN, UConn (who beat WVA I might add), or even Wake Forest (did you see the size of their frontline? & starting five?). Truth is, UK played badly (thinks to WVU and their great 1-3-1 zone defense) and WVU played well on offense. UK knocks down just a couple of the open looks and/or actually hits 70% from FT line & this discussion doesn't take place. It was a perfect storm caused by one team outplaying the other that night. :thumb: :thumb:
April 6, 201016 yr For all of you that don't think WVA could win 5 games then you haven't seen them play all year. This WVA team is physical and play great defense. All year long they shut teams down and held them to season lows in scoring. To discredit WVA is sad. Sometimes you should take off the blue sun glasses. Maybe you should look deeper into your program. 1. Why so many kids going pro? 2. Why is the coach wanting them out? 3. What went on behind closed doors?
April 6, 201016 yr For all of you that don't think WVA could win 5 games then you haven't seen them play all year. This WVA team is physical and play great defense. All year long they shut teams down and held them to season lows in scoring. To discredit WVA is sad. Sometimes you should take off the blue sun glasses. Maybe you should look deeper into your program. 1. Why so many kids going pro? 2. Why is the coach wanting them out? 3. What went on behind closed doors? I agree with everything you said until your numbered statements coach. I think my answers for the above are easy: 1. Because they can. I doesn't bother me in the least nor would it bother anyone who is thinking rationally about the whole situation. 2. I haven't perceived that except from the extreme rumor mongering. 3. I don't really care. It's no body's business except that team and the proper administration authorities. Just like I don't try to guess what goes on behind Frankfort doors. (although Coach Webb had some great stories. :lol:)
April 6, 201016 yr I agree with everything you said until your numbered statements coach. I think my answers for the above are easy: 1. Because they can. I doesn't bother me in the least nor would it bother anyone who is thinking rationally about the whole situation. 2. I haven't perceived that except from the extreme rumor mongering. 3. I don't really care. It's no body's business except that team and the proper administration authorities. Just like I don't try to guess what goes on behind Frankfort doors. (although Coach Webb had some great stories. :lol:) Long stories..........:popcorn:
April 6, 201016 yr UK got beat plain and simple. They picked a bad night to throw in a clunker. WV played pretty well, but I dont think they were that great. They shot the ball really well in the first half from three and UK kind of panicked on offense and it carried over to the defensive side of the ball. Cal didnt have his team prepared well enough against the 1-3-1, and they forced things. Dust yourself off and move on..
April 6, 201016 yr I agree with your conclusion. I do disagree with your premise bolded. It's not like UK didn't face that kind of size and athleticism in TN, UConn (who beat WVA I might add), or even Wake Forest (did you see the size of their frontline? & starting five?). Truth is, UK played badly (thinks to WVU and their great 1-3-1 zone defense) and WVU played well on offense. UK knocks down just a couple of the open looks and/or actually hits 70% from FT line & this discussion doesn't take place. It was a perfect storm caused by one team outplaying the other that night. :thumb: I agree. UK had a huge size advantage against West Virginia, but the inability to knock down shots nullified that to a large degree. West Virginia had a lot of wing-type players, but they didn't have great size inside. Just look at their next game against Duke. Zoubek gave them a lot of problems. Cousins could have dominated the paint if UK could have hit some threes and stretched the defense, or forced them to play man-to-man. Like LABS said, the Cats laid an egg...against a team that was too good to do that against.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.