March 29, 201016 yr Scheyer has become one of, if not my favorite Blue Devils of all time. It took a couple of years for him to grow on me, but I like the kid. Things are looking good in Blue Devil land and I like it. College basketball is a lot better when the powerhouses are strong. Now if we can only get that memo to UCLA and Indiana.
March 29, 201016 yr Exactly what I thought. IMO it was a terrible call. I was also very mad that the Duke player did not get a TO for swinging his elbow high with an obvious intention of striking a chin. I couldn't blame Acey for coming in. What would have happened if that would have been Cousins instead of Scheyer swinging the elbows? The officials even looked at the monitor, so they had to see it. How could they possibly not call it? Something I also found odd was that the announcers never even mentioned it. If you look closely at the last 4 minutes or so of that game and the direction that all the calls went, it is very hard to understand how so many things went right for one team and wrong for another.
March 29, 201016 yr What cost Baylor the game was their inability in the second half to keep Duke off of the offensive glass. I can think of three times within a short time period that Duke rebounded their missed shot and kicked out to drain a 3. 9 second chance points right there. Nope, Baylor had momentum on their side and when they made this basket they would have been up 4 or 5 with around 2:30 to play.
March 29, 201016 yr What cost Baylor the game was their inability in the second half to keep Duke off of the offensive glass. I can think of three times within a short time period that Duke rebounded their missed shot and kicked out to drain a 3. 9 second chance points right there. Really Baylor's 2-3 zone played right into Duke's hands. They gave up the 3 and its harder to rebound out of 2-3. To make it to the Final 4 you've gotta be able to guard people. I thought Baylor's defense was poor. (Coincidently UK's 2nd half defense against WVU was bad, which IMO is just as big of a reason for UK not being in the Final 4 as the shooting).
March 29, 201016 yr Nope, Baylor had momentum on their side and when they made this basket they would have been up 4 or 5 with around 2:30 to play. Baylor puts a body on someone and rebounds on Duke's end, we're not even having this conversation.
March 29, 201016 yr Baylor puts a body on someone and rebounds on Duke's end, we're not even having this conversation. Bottom line is this play cost them the game. This play was a huge blow to Baylor and the lost the game after this point.
March 29, 201016 yr Bottom line is this play cost them the game. This play was a huge blow to Baylor and the lost the game after this point. I don't buy this "one play cost Baylor the game" theory. Did it hurt them not having him the rest of the game? Sure. But, I mean Purdue won two games without Hummel, Michigan State and West Virginia BOTH are in the Final Four after losing key players (Michigan State even losing their's in a game!). Simply put, good teams are able to adapt and overcome a lot of obstacles...including who's on and who's not on the court.
March 29, 201016 yr Their big man played less than 20 minutes due to foul trouble and his 5th foul was a terrible call, which greatly influenced the rebounding stats. That type of foul was not called in any other game that I watched in the entire tournament, so the timing of it and the influence it played in the outcome of the game was rather suspect to me.:confused: I thought the 5th one was valid, the 4th maybe not so much.
March 29, 201016 yr Bottom line is this play cost them the game. This play was a huge blow to Baylor and the lost the game after this point. One play doesn't cost you a game, especially when it is 2:30 minutes from the end of it.
March 29, 201016 yr I thought the 5th one was valid, the 4th maybe not so much. On his 5th foul, he was just standing guarding his man and Singlar came into the lane kind of out of control and basically jumped into him. He didn't appear to move or even try to defend Singlar and was basically just standing there. You could get a foul every trip down the floor by doing this if they call this a foul on the defender. He had not been in the game even a minute when this occurred and I believe it was Singlar's intention to foul him out.
March 29, 201016 yr On his 5th foul, he was just standing guarding his man and Singlar came into the lane kind of out of control and basically jumped into him. He didn't appear to move or even try to defend Singlar and was basically just standing there. You could get a foul every trip down the floor by doing this if they call this a foul on the defender. He had not been in the game even a minute when this occurred and I believe it was Singlar's intention to foul him out. I think it was a bad call, but at the same time I believe Baylor's poor defensive gameplan against Duke really hurt also. You can't give up 79 points and win. Also, the gameplan for beating Duke does not revolve around playing a 2-3 zone.
March 29, 201016 yr Congrats to the Duke fans on here. I know you all had to deal with a lot of UK fans on here saying how Duke really wasn't as good as they were ranked this year. I know I was someone who didn't think they were either. However you all got it done and made it to the final four, something that us UK fans can't say about our team this year. So congrats to you all. I still hate Duke though.
March 29, 201016 yr One play doesn't cost you a game, especially when it is 2:30 minutes from the end of it. Answer me this question then did it turn the game in Duke's favor?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.