March 29, 201016 yr I agree. You have two traditional powers in Michigan State and Duke, one team that has never been who is playing in their own backyard, and a team that hasn't been in over 50 years. I think that makes for a great storyline, and a great Final Four. Very true...:thumb: I think some people only think that the bluegrass state watches the final 4.
March 29, 201016 yr Author I made this thread after it was Butler and West Virginia. Duke and Michigan State making it helped, but this may be one of the lower rated Final Fours in a few years. Duke being there obviously helps, though.
March 29, 201016 yr I made this thread after it was Butler and West Virginia. Duke and Michigan State making it helped, but this may be one of the lower rated Final Fours in a few years. Duke being there obviously helps, though.Why?
March 29, 201016 yr Author Why? Why what? Why did I make it yesterday? -- Because Butler was in and Kentucky wasn't. Why will it be low? -- Outside of Duke, there really isn't a national fan base in the Final Four. West Virginia is basically West Virginia. Michigan State is essentially just Michigan. Butler could be because they have the underdog role. It's different from the traditional powers of North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas. Last year was Carolina, Michigan State, Connecticut, and Villanova - much more high profile group. Why will Duke help? -- Because they have a national fan base.
March 29, 201016 yr I'll be watching, I'm excited to see who wins it this year because none of these teams were ever favorites to win it all, and that rarely happens. I think it'll be interesting to see how West Virginia will defend Duke, and how Brad Stevens and Butler will handle the giant stage they're going to be on next Saturday. Also, the coaching match-ups are intriguing to me as well, Izzo is probably one of the three best coaches in the Country, an established fixture in the Final Four; Brad Stevens and Butler are fairly new to the Big Time. It will also be interesting to see the contrast between West Virginia's more defense-oriented style of play and Duke's offensive oriented style of play.
March 29, 201016 yr I'm driving from Somerset to Destin, Fla on Saturday to watch my son play baseball on spring break--just like last year. And again, just like last year I'm leaving early enough to make it for the semi-finals. I love college basketball and I watch the Final Four no matter who is playing. I think Butler and WVU being in the Final Four might make the Saturday games an even bigger story.
March 29, 201016 yr For the first time in 3 years, my team is not in it and I will be watching. I like football ten times more than basketball, but I will still be watching. It is silly to think no one will want to watch.
March 29, 201016 yr It's a valid question until Duke and Michigan St. got in. Anyone remember the least watched Final Four ever? Just a few years ago when George Mason, Florida, LSU, and UCLA made it. Mason, Florida, and LSU were 4 seeds or lower. I think UCLA was a 2 or 3...so, if it had been Butler, UT, Baylor, and West Virginia it would've been a very valid question. I like watching Butler play...but that doesn't mean ALL basketball fans like tough D and low scoring games.
March 29, 201016 yr It's a valid question until Duke and Michigan St. got in. Anyone remember the least watched Final Four ever? Just a few years ago when George Mason, Florida, LSU, and UCLA made it. Mason, Florida, and LSU were 4 seeds or lower. I think UCLA was a 2 or 3...so, if it had been Butler, UT, Baylor, and West Virginia it would've been a very valid question. I like watching Butler play...but that doesn't mean ALL basketball fans like tough D and low scoring games. Exactly about the recently lowest rated Final Four. People say they enjoy Cinderella, but the numbers do not bear it out. About 5 minutes in to the George Mason / Florida game, you could tell who was going to win easily, so I quit watching. They were practically giving away tickets to the Championship game.
March 29, 201016 yr I know I'll be watching it. I think it is good to see some teams that have never made it or haven't made the final 4 in a very long time. I agree. There are some good storylines. Butler is playing the role of cinderella and in their own backyard Mich St is there for the 6th time in 12 years WVU is there for the first time in 51 years Duke is back after a long hiatus I think it will draw good ratings. It is the final 4 and REAL college basketball fans will be watching. I understand if some UK fans don't want to watch. But I won't make assumptions that just because UK isn't in it, that nobody will watch.
March 29, 201016 yr No reason for me to watch. I'd like to retract my statement. I'll probably be watching. WVU / Duke game should be really good. Whoever wins that one should win it all. I don't necessarily have anyone I will be pulling for. Maybe Butler or WVU but definitely not Duke (I respect them, but I just don't like them).
March 29, 201016 yr Why what? Why did I make it yesterday? -- Because Butler was in and Kentucky wasn't. Why will it be low? -- Outside of Duke, there really isn't a national fan base in the Final Four. West Virginia is basically West Virginia. Michigan State is essentially just Michigan. Butler could be because they have the underdog role. It's different from the traditional powers of North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas. Last year was Carolina, Michigan State, Connecticut, and Villanova - much more high profile group. Why will Duke help? -- Because they have a national fan base. I would love to see the facts that back this argument up. The Florida/UCLA title game in 2006 was the second lowest rated Final since 1975. UCONN's win over Georgia Tech in 2004 was the lowest rated title game ever (since ratings were kept in 1975). UCLA and UCONN are two high profile programs that didn't bring home the ratings. Between 30-35 million people watched the title game every year until 1995 (UCLA/Arkansas). It hasn't topped 29 million since then. Why? I don't know. Last year (North Carolina/Michigan State) was the lowest title game rating EVER. 17 million people. Half the number that watched Magic/Bird in 1979. 11 million fewer that saw Arizona beat UK in 1998. Ratings were going down with UNC and Michigan State in the title game. It's not because of the four teams in it this year.
March 29, 201016 yr So regardless of the reasons why it's going to be the least watched Final Four ever, it is going to be the least watched final four ever... Is that what you're saying, Scribe? :lol:
March 29, 201016 yr If you cannot watch Butler and enjoy the way they play, then you are not a fan of college basketball. They play the game the right way. What is the "right way?"
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.