1. 1. Who wins?

• Holmes
    • Newport

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my reasons for wanting Holmes to win the Ninth Sunday, is Homes IMO is the only team in the Ninth that has a chance to win the State Tourney.

While Newport is a very, very good team, they just aren't deep enough to go deep into the Sweet Sixteen

If anyone saw Elliott County last year (and Newport isn't as good as EC was last year) they couldn't win Saturday's game because of not having a deep enough bench!

Playing four games in four days on a college floor with all the pressure is tough on a kid and it makes it even worse, if that kid has to log a ton of game minutes. Even a young man in great shape, gets physically and more important mentally drained trying to pull it off but without the help of a deep bench, it makes it almost impossible!

Go Holmes!

I pretty much agree. Having extra legs in the Sweet 16 sure can't hurt, and most of the time teams with them prevail over teams who don't. You did say 'almost impossible' so I won't misquote you by implying that you said 'impossible' but how deep did the '81 Pioneers go when they won it all? Ultimately when you've got the right 5 or 6 players, anything can happen. Personally, I'm pretty much ready for a changing of the guard and would like to see Newport represent. They look like a team of destiny with all the right elements (minus a deep bench). Could be quite entertaining with their smart and talented level of play. I'm guessing that the rest of the state wouldn't mind either seeing what else the 9th Region has to offer with a fresh and delightful change.

Ditto! Holmes by 10 plus. On a side note. If Rice chose to sit last night for the National Anthem, I'm hoping either his parents or his coach had a stern message for him afterward.

Again, there was no National Anthem for the second game.

Ditto! Holmes by 10 plus. On a side note. If Rice chose to sit last night for the National Anthem, I'm hoping either his parents or his coach had a stern message for him afterward.

There was no national anthem last night before the Holmes game.

Wasn't '75-that year NCC beat HC in double OT. Wasn't '76-that year Holmes beat HC in finals. I guess it could've been '77 although Schlomer was a freshman in the 74-75 season.

Not sure if it was the 77 regional finals but Holmes beat Newport in the last few seconds on a very controverisial "no call." Coach Wimzie from Holmes would know. Newport had the Schlosser brothers, Slaughter and Bedford were the guards, Mitch McIntosh played center he's the dad of 2009 Newport graduate David Darnell (and if you thought David was a nice player you should have seen his dad play. At a lanky 6-6 he could wear it out.) Holmes had Roy Meier, Schlomer and was a senior dominated team as was Newport. Both teams were loaded it was a real clash of the Titans. Newport probably had the better team.

I'd give anything to get into the time-capsule and see that game replayed it would makes tonights re-match look like a JV regional championship. Pressing, no 3 point shot, the paint was a flat-out brawl

The following year is when Shelby County's Charles Hurt denied Holmes its first State Championship by sticking his hand up through the rim and goal-tended the ball.

Edited by CATBIRD

I'm going to go with Newport in an upset by 6 in this one. Holmes has a superior team and their bench has gained a lot of experience during the season. I believe Holmes' used about 9 different players last night against Boone. Newport seems to use only 6 players so this could be a big factor if this becomes a fast pace game. I do look for the first half to be fast pace but as far for the second half it will depend if Newport's Coach Russell can slow the game to get Sizemore and Tucker set up for the three point shot. Great season by both teams.

Ok I might be crazy but Im going out on a limb. I really think that Newport will win. And not just because of Holmes having pressure or Holmes having some bad luck or a bad game. I think that NEWPORT IS THE BETTER TEAM AND PLAYS BETTER TEAM BASKETBALL.

They pass the ball very well. They defend very well. Whether its in a zone, man to man or even when they press. The biggest problem for Newport in my opinion is the depth. They really are only 6 deep and not any deep than that at all. Foul trouble could potentially be a problem. But they have a few good shooters. The two bigs are physical and also are very solid around the basket.

As for what I've seen from Holmes. They definetly are streaking and have potential to just dominate. But I was very dissappointed with the 3rd qtr play of Pittman and the 3rd qtr game plan of Coach Henley. Lots of standing around by Pittman. Lots of bad passes. Not much penetration, and when they did penetrate they used floaters and mid range jumpers. Thats exactly how Boone got back into the game. They didn't handle Boone's physicallity very well that 3rd qtr. And I think Newports "bigs" will frustrate Pittman and make every one of his touches tough. Thats why I believe foul trouble will be HUGE in the is game.

Either way Im looking forward to this one. I think we have the best 2 teams squaring off in the 9th again and I think we have the chance to see a classic tonight.

Good Luck to both teams!

NEWPORT by a 3!!

I really hope Holmes gets it done today, and I think they will. I am a Rico fan big time. The kid handles himself with class at all times. I am glad he speaks to our youth, because he embodies all the qualities of a great kid. He is a breath of fresh air after watching how lots of other kids conduct themselves on/off the court. Get it done #33!

Holmes by 7.

I really hope Holmes gets it done today, and I think they will. I am a Rico fan big time. The kid handles himself with class at all times. I am glad he speaks to our youth, because he embodies all the qualities of a great kid. He is a breath of fresh air after watching how lots of other kids conduct themselves on/off the court. Get it done #33!

Holmes by 7.

Totally agree with your words on Ricardo. A first class act he is. I really believe he deserves Mr Basketball this season.