Elisha Justice vs. Josh Sewell for Mr. Basketball

The Mr. Basketball Race: A tale of two seasons.

The first half of the season saw Trinity and Josh Sewell win three regular season tournaments (KOB, Republic, and LIT) and Sewell became the leader for Mr. Basketball.

The second half of the season began and Shelby Valley wins four tournaments (WYMT, 15th Region All A, All A State, and 59th District) and Elisha Justice looks to be the favorite for Mr. Basketball.

With Elisha Justice winning another post season championship and Josh Sewell losing another one, Sewell has only one more chance to win a post season championship.

If Sewell loses in the region, he will graduate with NEVER winning a post season championship (district, region or state). This would really hurt Sewell's chances of winnning Mr. Basketball especially if SV makes a deep run.

Hang on folks, the Mr. Basketball race could be decided in the next week or so depending on how Justice and Sewell's teams play out.:ylsuper:

Good luck to both individuals and to both teams!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mr. Basketball Race: A tale of two seasons.

The first half of the season saw Trinity and Josh Sewell win three regular season tournaments (KOB, Republic, and LIT) and Sewell became the leader for Mr. Basketball.

The second half of the season began and Shelby Valley wins four tournaments (WYMT, 15th Region All A, All A State, and 59th District) and Elisha Justice looks to be the favorite for Mr. Basketball. Heck, the 59th district only has three teams in it! Shelby Valley played one district game against a very very weak East Ridge and beat them by 55 and won the district tournament. That win means absolutely nothing compared to the LIT, KOB or Republic tournaments. The other three are weak tournaments also. I don't see your reasoning.

With Elisha Justice winning another post season championship and Josh Sewell losing another one, Sewell has only one more chance to win a post season championship.

If Sewell loses in the region, he will graduate with NEVER winning a post season championship (district, region or state). This would really hurt Sewell's chances of winnning Mr. Basketball especially if SV makes a deep run.

Hang on folks, the Mr. Basketball race could be decided in the next week or so depending on how Justice and Sewell's teams play out.:ylsuper:

Good luck to both individuals and to both teams!

Those four tournaments didn't have one top 20 team in the teams that competed. All very weak tournaments when compared to the three that Trinity won.

Trinity's accomplishments have already blown Shelby Valley's four tournament victorys out-of-the-water! The district tournament that Shelby Valley won consisted of playing only one game to win the district, and that was against a very very weak East Ridge team that they beat by 55. Do you actually compare that to Trinity not winning the district tournament with Seneca, Waggener and Ballard in their district? You need to come up with some more accomplishments for Shelby Valley. Because, what you are listing as tournament wins don't carry much merit.

Also, Shelby Valley's schedule this season has been an abosolute joke. The only good win they have is against J-town. The other ranked team they played, Christian Co. beat them at home.

I have no idea how you can say Justice is the favorite???????:idunno:

Shelby Valley has been blowing out almost every team they play because they are very weak teams. Everytime Trinity laces up, they are playing one of the top teams in the state. Sewell's season performance against the best teams in the state has to mean something!

You be the judge; look at Trinity's schedule and compare it to Shelby Valley's. It's obvious who has performed better this season!

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100221/SPORTS05/2210354/1031/SPORTS05/Trinity+s+Josh+Sewell+playing+like+Mr.+Basketball

The Louisville paper even polled the coaches and it is a lot closer than you think. Your own area paper had Sewell 17 - Justice 14 votes.

Trinity has 1300 boys to SV's 250. They should be a lot better team. Justice has meant a lot more to SV and to Ky high school basketball than Sewell has over the last four years up to this point of their careers.

Trinity has beaten and lost to some very good teams this season and Shelby Valley has beaten and lost to some very good teams this season.

I was just stating this race is closer than some of you people want it to be and the next week or so will decide the race in my opinion.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100221/SPORTS05/2210354/1031/SPORTS05/Trinity+s+Josh+Sewell+playing+like+Mr.+Basketball

The Louisville paper even polled the coaches and it is a lot closer than you think. Your own area paper had Sewell 17 - Justice 14 votes.

Trinity has 1300 boys to SV's 250. They should be a lot better team. Justice has meant a lot more to SV and to Ky high school basketball than Sewell has over the last four years up to this point of their careers.

Trinity has beaten and lost to some very good teams this season and Shelby Valley has beaten and lost to some very good teams this season.

I was just stating this race is closer than some of you people want it to be and the next week or so will decide the race in my opinion.

Believe as you wish but the award is a joke if Sewell doesn't win it.

Even in tonight's loss, he scores 26 against BALLARD. That's not East Ridge- that's Ballard.

Justice plays in the 7th, he's in a crowd behind Sewell with T. Jackson, K. Jones and others. Good player, but not as good this season as Sewell!

Imo the leading candidate should be Ricardo Johnson of Holmes. He has led the Bulldogs to 2 straight 9th Region titles and 2 straight State Final games winning the MVP in last yrs victory. If he can lead the Bulldogs once again to the Sweet 16 and get to the final four it should be his.

I really like how Josh Sewell has come on this season and excelled in big tourneys against bigtime competition though. If he can take his team into the Sweet 16 and possibly win a state title then it probably goes to him.

All are fantastic players.

Even in tonight's loss, he scores 26 against BALLARD. That's not East Ridge- that's Ballard.

Justice plays in the 7th, he's in a crowd behind Sewell with T. Jackson, K. Jones and others. Good player, but not as good this season as Sewell!

If there were an All A Mr. Basketball and an overall Mr. Basketball...Justice would win and Sewell would win...something for KHSAA to think about? My opinion is Sewell should win....I wonder who counts the votes????? When is the last time our Mr. Basketball was a walk-on to a college? Not that he couldnt get a scholarship at a four year school...I was just wondering....does anyone know???:idunno: Good luck to both.

If there were an All A Mr. Basketball and an overall Mr. Basketball...Justice would win and Sewell would win...something for KHSAA to think about? My opinion is Sewell should win....I wonder who counts the votes????? When is the last time our Mr. Basketball was a walk-on to a college? Not that he couldnt get a scholarship at a four year school...I was just wondering....does anyone know???:idunno: Good luck to both.

Give it to both!

I disagree with UKYBBALL and loudballfan. I think your biases are affecting your judgments IMO. It should not be decided yet who gets the award.

Justice has had a great career, but this year is the only year that matters.

Sewell has been great all year and been a winner, but so has Justice and so has Aaron Watts.

Watts has actually played against a much tougher schedule than Justice and performed at a very high level.

IMO the award is still up for grabs and really should be! Then players like Ricado Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Dakota Euton, Chad Jackson, etc have had very good years, but have teams that are balanced and haven't put up huge numbers.

Imo the leading candidate should be Ricardo Johnson of Holmes. He has led the Bulldogs to 2 straight 9th Region titles and 2 straight State Final games winning the MVP in last yrs victory. If he can lead the Bulldogs once again to the Sweet 16 and get to the final four it should be his.

I really like how Josh Sewell has come on this season and excelled in big tourneys against bigtime competition though. If he can take his team into the Sweet 16 and possibly win a state title then it probably goes to him.

I totally agree, everyone has seem to have forgotten about him just because Holmes has not blown people out and he is not scoring 20 points per game. He is a team player and always guards the other teams's best player and usually shuts him down. I think the Sweet 16 will determine Mr. Basketball, especially if Holmes meets Trinity or Ballard in the tournament.

I totally agree, everyone has seem to have forgotten about him just because Holmes has not blown people out and he is not scoring 20 points per game. He is a team player and always guards the other teams's best player and usually shuts him down. I think the Sweet 16 will determine Mr. Basketball, especially if Holmes meets Trinity or Ballard in the tournament.

Rico is a great player but has flown under the radar this season.

As I stated in another post, if you simply want to recognize the MVP of the Sweet Sixteen as Mr. Basketball then I agree with you guys.

IF you want to reward a whole season of work, none of the others have done or IMO can do enough in the games left to outshine what Sewell has accomplished this season.

If Sewell does not win you could make up an award to make hime the Platinium winner like the ice skater from Russia did after the Olympics.

Rico is a great player but has flown under the radar this season.

As I stated in another post, if you simply want to recognize the MVP of the Sweet Sixteen as Mr. Basketball then I agree with you guys.

IF you want to reward a whole season of work, none of the others have done or IMO can do enough in the games left to outshine what Sewell has accomplished this season.

I'd say his career since sophomore year is more important than a flash in the pan type of season. That is not to take anything away from Sewell but leading your team to the Sweet 16 finals two years in a row and having a chance to do it for the 3rd time this season is pretty darn impressive. Lets see how the Sweet 16 plays out this year and if Rico Johnson is dazzling the crowd like he has the past 2 seasons down there then I think many need to re-consider their vote. If Holmes gets knocked out of the Regional tourney then you may have a point about him flying under the radar and not finishing out strong this season.

I agree Ricardo has been sensational during his career. But the fact that he has a teammate - Pittman - that averages more than he does right now will lead to him not getting the award. Right or wrong, not saying either way.

Pittman is a fantastic talent. But having both those guys on the same team takes votes away from each other. I am sure there are some coaches that would vote for Pittman over Johnson if you just had to pick one.

Same goes with the Scott County trio. Which of the three do you vote for? I bet a lot of people differ in their opinions.

With that said, I have watched Justice and Watts a few times apiece and seen Sewell more. If you asked me how to rank them I would say Sewell and Watts would be 1-2 and Justice a close third.

Sewell has played against the toughest competition and Watts is a close second on that one. Sure, Justice won four tournaments. And he might be the favorite had his team played in one of the state's biggest tournaments and won that. But they didn't and I think in the end that will hurt him.