Elisha Justice vs. Josh Sewell for Mr. Basketball

I'd say his career since sophomore year is more important than a flash in the pan type of season. That is not to take anything away from Sewell but leading your team to the Sweet 16 finals two years in a row and having a chance to do it for the 3rd time this season is pretty darn impressive. Lets see how the Sweet 16 plays out this year and if Rico Johnson is dazzling the crowd like he has the past 2 seasons down there then I think many need to re-consider their vote. If Holmes gets knocked out of the Regional tourney then you may have a point about him flying under the radar and not finishing out strong this season.

Coaches won't give the award to a kid who is not the leading scorer on his own team. And Pittman is the leading scorer for Holmes. Again, not saying that's right (Johnson is a winner) but just won't happen IMO.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches won't give the award to a kid who is not the leading scorer on his own team. And Pittman is the leading scorer for Holmes.

Why? I thought it was somewhat of an MVP of the year in the state not the leading scorer in the state. You obviously didnt read what I posted. Many kids dont even see Rupp Arena's floor and Rico has played 8 games there in the past 2 seasons and could very well play 4 more this season.

If Sewell gets his team to Rupp and they win a State Championship then go ahead and crown him but until that happens it will be a tough decision.

Why? I thought it was somewhat of an MVP of the year in the state not the leading scorer in the state. You obviously didnt read what I posted. Many kids dont even see Rupp Arena's floor and Rico has played 8 games there in the past 2 seasons and could very well play 4 more this season.

If Sewell gets his team to Rupp and they win a State Championship then go ahead and crown him but until that happens it will be a tough decision.

I saw what you posted. Just saying coaches won't vote for a kid that doesn't lead his team in scoring. Besides, Pittman has been a key cog in those eight games on the Rupp floor the past two years also. Who says he's not the best player in the state? He probably has the most upside according to colleges.

With that said, if I had a vote and Holmes wins title I would vote for Johnson. But I just think a lot of coaches will have a hard time voting for someone that doesn't lead his team in scoring (or rebounding).

And the 'many kids don't see Rupp' argument is a tough sell to me. How much harder is it to get out of the Seventh or 11th Region than it is to get out of a lot of other regions. According to all the computer ratings, St. X (10th in Seventh Region) would have been favored in 11 other regions. So you can use that he won a state title but not that other kids never saw the Rupp Arena floor. There are a lot of great players - including a lot of Mr. Basketball winners - that never played in Rupp!

:ohbrother:

I saw what you posted. Just saying coaches won't vote for a kid that doesn't lead his team in scoring. Besides, Pittman has been a key cog in those eight games on the Rupp floor the past two years also. Who says he's not the best player in the state? He probably has the most upside according to colleges.

With that said, if I had a vote and Holmes wins title I would vote for Johnson. But I just think a lot of coaches will have a hard time voting for someone that doesn't lead his team in scoring (or rebounding).

And the 'many kids don't see Rupp' argument is a tough sell to me. How much harder is it to get out of the Seventh or 11th Region than it is to get out of a lot of other regions. According to all the computer ratings, St. X (10th in Seventh Region) would have been favored in 11 other regions. So you can use that he won a state title but not that other kids never saw the Rupp Arena floor. There are a lot of great players - including a lot of Mr. Basketball winners - that never played in Rupp!

:ohbrother:

True but were those Mr. Basketball winners competing for the award against other players such as Ricardo Johnson.

I like Sewell, he is a very very good player and may be the best player in the state. I am just saying you gotta put Johnson up there as well. You may be right though.

1. If Trinity makes it to Rupp and Sewell plays well he is the winner.

2. If Holmes makes it to a another Championship game even though Johnson's individual numbers are not as good he wins.

3. If the two above slip and SV makes a cinderella run at the Sweet Sixteen then Justice gains momentum and wins.

Coming from a SV homer Im just glad our guy is still in the running and all players considered are deserving.

2. If Holmes makes it to a another Championship game even though Johnson's individual numbers are not as good he wins.

3. If the two above slip and SV makes a cinderella run at the Sweet Sixteen then Justice gains momentum and wins.

Coming from a SV homer Im just glad our guy is still in the running and all players considered are deserving.

Shelby Valley will not make a Cinderella Run at the Sweet Sixteen, they will be in the Sweet Sixteen and they got a "sweet" draw. I don't think Shelby Valley's coach could have personally picked the teams in the lower bracket that they will eventually play.

I don't consider Shelby Valley a Cinderella team. They are a very good team in a very weak region. They will be at Rupp (as participants) the 17th of March and with the draw they got, I see them making it to Saturday.

As I have said for the umpteenth time, this means that Mr. Basketball is nothing more than the state tourney MVP and I just don't think that is correct(e.g. Jon Hood)

As I have said for the umpteenth time, this means that Mr. Basketball is nothing more than the state tourney MVP and I just don't think that is correct(e.g. Jon Hood)

Wow! The 3 guys I mentioned have made a strong case for the award. Whether you like it or not Sewell does not have the award locked up. If you read my post again I have him #1 and my guy Justice as a long shot at #3. Jon Hood was a great scorer who had signed with Ky how many times does this have to be said umpteen plus 1.

Hood was UK bound and the one player in position to compete was out with injury. Sewell played in won the 3 most difficult tourneys in the state while winning all three MVP's. If Trinity wins the 7th region tourney (which IS the toughest tourney of all including the state) it will be Sewell leading them. How in the world could any other player do more for the award?

I think Sewell and his team has played the more impressive schedule and won the more challenging tournaments of all the top contenders. I've heard a lot about him but have never seen him to make a judgement on what kind of player he is. I hope Trinity makes it to the state tournament so everyone around the state can see him play.

I have seen Justice play several times, the last two years in the state All A, in last years Sweet 16, and a couple of weeks ago against Perry Central. He is a very good basketball player. I will agree with those who say he hasn't played the demanding schedule that some of the other contenders have played. But he is hampered a little by geography in that respect.

Another point, I realize teams have to play the cards they are delt but I wonder what Shelby Valley's record and Justice's numbers would be if they swapped schedules with Trinity? The 7th Region is unbelievable. To win that region is almost like winning the state championship itself.

One more point. I feel a little sorry for the western Kentucky schools because in most years they always seem to get lost in the discussion for Mr. Basketball (unless they have a kid that has signed with UK). I know Christian County has some kids that can obviously play to a high level. Winning at Shelby Valley and Perry Central in back-to-back nights is no easy feat.

Justice has to be the favorite to win Mr.Basketball I'm not saying he is better than Sewell but he will most likely will have led his team to two sweet sixteens. With that said Sewell has had excellent numbers this season. And just what exactly is Mr.Basketball decided on stats or overall team success? I have no clue how they vote on it but once, we know then it is pretty simple.

Justice has to be the favorite to win Mr.Basketball I'm not saying he is better than Sewell but he will most likely will have led his team to two sweet sixteens. With that said Sewell has had excellent numbers this season. And just what exactly is Mr.Basketball decided on stats or overall team success? I have no clue how they vote on it but once, we know then it is pretty simple.

Favorite by leading his team to the Sweet Sixteen out of the 15th Region?

The 15th Region is the weakest region in the state. Name one other team that would even be in the top 75 in the state of KY. Justice could sit out the whole 15th Region tournament and Shelby Valley would still blow out every team in the regional tournament.

Also you are "not saying he is better than Sewell" makes no sense. The better basketball player should be Mr. Kentucky Basketball period!