Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Could the UCONN Women beat a Mens Team???

Featured Replies

My City League team in Danville would beat the UCONN women by 20+.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I'm not sure they would beat a competitive boys High School team.

 

I'm all for women getting their share of the lime light but there is a clear reason we have men's and women's teams. Women just have a hard time physically competing with men.

When I was in high school my neighbor was one of the better female athletes at Henderson. She was a very good ball player. We would play in my drive way sometimes and I would beat her pretty easily and I was not one of the better male athletes.

 

You have to remember that even as good as these women are the strength and height differences would be way too much to over come. Even against the worst mens team.

At the collegiate level, no. But I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you believe they would lose to high school teams. Remember, these are some of the best in America, not just a good female athlete at your local high school. Sure the great high school teams they would lose to, but I am willing to bet they would beat almost anyone in Kentucky High School basketball. As a rule these girls would shoot better, handle the ball better, and be equally as quick/fast as a high school team. Some of the guys may be more physically imposing.

I think Scott County or Holmes would beat them.

 

And it wouldn't be close.

At the collegiate level, no. But I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you believe they would lose to high school teams. Remember, these are some of the best in America, not just a good female athlete at your local high school. Sure the great high school teams they would lose to, but I am willing to bet they would beat almost anyone in Kentucky High School basketball. As a rule these girls would shoot better, handle the ball better, and be equally as quick/fast as a high school team. Some of the guys may be more physically imposing.

 

No doubt they would beat some of the high school teams, but I'd guess that there are AT LEAST 10 teams in KY HS basketball that would beat UCONN.

No.

NO, and i also say they probably couldnt beat the #1 boys H.S. team in the U.S.

No doubt they would beat some of the high school teams, but I'd guess that there are AT LEAST 10 teams in KY HS basketball that would beat UCONN.

From a pure physical standpoint, some would simply not be able handle the guys for Holmes, Scott County, etc. I would say 10 would be about the max. Basketball skill wise (baksetball IQ, dribbling, passing), I think up and down the roster UConn's women would be better than any high school team in Kentucky, and it is not even close.

 

I still think people are just looking at the players themselves being so much bigger and not considering anything else. We often times forget how un-fundamentally sound high school basketball is. That would be a huge advantage for the UConn women.

My City League team in Danville would beat the UCONN women by 20+.

 

Now that is funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

At the collegiate level, no. But I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you believe they would lose to high school teams. Remember, these are some of the best in America, not just a good female athlete at your local high school. Sure the great high school teams they would lose to, but I am willing to bet they would beat almost anyone in Kentucky High School basketball. As a rule these girls would shoot better, handle the ball better, and be equally as quick/fast as a high school team. Some of the guys may be more physically imposing.

 

I'll say that in the 9th region there are at least 10 teams (and I'm being conservative) that would beat UConn. 7th region has to have the same number of teams.

I'll say that in the 9th region there are at least 10 teams (and I'm being conservative) that would beat UConn. 7th region has to have the same number of teams.

 

The number I threw out there was 10 teams in the state. That's probably way too low. I'd imagine almost every team in the Sweet 16 could beat them.

 

At least 3 teams from most regions would handle UCONN. Some regions would have more, some would have less.

For those who think that UCONN would win, riddle me this. How would they match up with a men's team? Here is UCONN's Roster

 

Centers:

6'3'' Heather Black (RS FR)

6'4'' Tina Charles (SR)

 

Forwards:

6'0'' Meghan Gardler (SR)

6'2'' Kaili McLaren (SR)

6'0'' Maya Moore (Jr)

 

Guards:

5'4'' Lorin Dixon (Jr)

5'10'' Caroline Doty (SO)

5'11'' Kelly Faris (FR)

5'9'' Jacquie Fernandes (SR)

5'10'' Kalana Greene (SR)

5'10'' Tiffany Hayes (SO)

 

Other than the fact that they have 2 freshman (1 is a redshirt frosh), the biggest thing that stands out to me is how small they are. I've compared quite a few rosters due to similar debates, and I can say that UCONN's roster is probably bigger than most other girl's teams.

 

Simply put, the women cannot match up physically. It doesn't matter how great you are fundamentally, you have to be able to get a shot off. When you have someone who is 6'0'' guarding a 5'9'' (or 5'4'') girl, the girl is overwhelmed athletically more times than not. They may get an open look, but the gap closes quickly.

 

If you watch a woman's game, you'll see that a lot of their shots are set shots. They'll knock those down. But those types of looks don't come around too frequently.

Nope. Not even close. Not being sexiest. It's just what it is.

  • Author

I just saw a similar question posed on another board. Some on that forum felt like the lady Huskies could compete against the poorest Men's D1 team. I certainly won't go that far, but those who think they wouldn't handle the majority of KY boys HS teams are just trying to kid yourselves.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.