January 30, 201016 yr We did play some high school boys teams in the summer and won. This was a few years ago. It is illegal for NCAA teams to do that now, beacause of NCAA rules. My high school girls played 8th graders and generally won, but I had two future mid-major D1 players and an NAIA post. After they graduated we lost to the 8th graders. To the bolded area: That surprises me. What level and how good of a women's teams and what level and how good of a HS boy's team? To the second part: That's about what I've seen. You had a very good HS team and they were pretty even with 8th graders (who don't have great size, strength, or quickness advantages).
January 30, 201016 yr Author hoopsr1, please elaborate on why you think the UCONN juggernaut would do well if playing a D3 Mens schedule.I don't disagree but I lack your actual coaching experience to know for sure. Also, I am not surprised that your college women beat HS boys. I think the UCONN women would be ranked high if playing against HS boys teams. You would know much better than I would, though.
January 30, 201016 yr The Mathemagician's HS Team Heights v. UCONN's Heights 5'7'' 170 v. 5'9'' Jacquie Fernandes (Sr. Guard) 5'9'' 135 v. 5'10'' Tiffany Hayes (So Guard) 5'10'' 135 v. 5'10'' Kalana Greene (SR Guard) 5'10'' 140 v. 5'10'' Caroline Doty (So Guard) 6'1'' ?? v. 5'11'' Kelly Faris (FR Guard) 6'2'' 160 v. 6'0'' Maya Moore (Jr. Forward) 6'3'' 180 v. 6'0'' Meghan Gardler (SR Forward) 6'4'' 180 v. 6'2'' Kaili McLaren (SR Forward) 6'4'' 185 v. 6'3'' Heather Black (RS Fr Center) 6'4'' 245 v. 6'4'' Tina Charles (SR; Center) UCONN has 1 extra player: 5'4'' Lorin Dixon (Jr. Guard) Unfortunately, UCONN's website does not list the women's weight. I ranked the players according to height, so obviously these will not be accurate matchups. Honestly, the HS team is on the small side. The matchups aren't too crazy, although the boys are probably stronger & much heavier. Math -- could you provide the player's position with their height?
January 30, 201016 yr I've been involved with a D1 mens program, coached mens high level NAIA, womens D1, high school boys and high school girls. I stand by my previous statement. Thanks. I disagree.
January 30, 201016 yr The UCONN women vs D3 are just as quick in all positions and quicker in some. Most importantly quicker at the guard spot. Maya Moore would have no problem getting her shot whenever she wanted and the posts couldn't be moved off of the block. Those who doubt this have not seen how strong and quick the top women players are. All of this would be vs D3 players. Most of the top 10 boys high school teams could beat D3 teams too.
January 31, 201016 yr The UCONN women vs D3 are just as quick in all positions and quicker in some. Most importantly quicker at the guard spot. Maya Moore would have no problem getting her shot whenever she wanted and the posts couldn't be moved off of the block. Those who doubt this have not seen how strong and quick the top women players are. All of this would be vs D3 players. Most of the top 10 boys high school teams could beat D3 teams too. Nope. I must disagree. Women vs. men in an athletic event is a mismatch. In a skill game where strength and athleticism is minimized the scales tip toward women. Maya Moore is not as fast as any high school male guards I have seen...while I have watched her against other female competition there is no way she can make the jump to the men's ranks...PERIOD!!!:deadhorse:
January 31, 201016 yr Nope. I must disagree. Women vs. men in an athletic event is a mismatch. In a skill game where strength and athleticism is minimized the scales tip toward women. Maya Moore is not as fast as any high school male guards I have seen...while I have watched her against other female competition there is no way she can make the jump to the men's ranks...PERIOD!!!:deadhorse: What did Marion Jones do to get faster...take a male hormone. While she did that her times were still well below the fast natural male. There are many men to break 10 secs. in the 100M, she had to use a male hormone to do it...come on she was the fastest woman on earth...with a little help from the chemistry department!!!:deadhorse:
January 31, 201016 yr The UCONN women vs D3 are just as quick in all positions and quicker in some. Most importantly quicker at the guard spot. Maya Moore would have no problem getting her shot whenever she wanted and the posts couldn't be moved off of the block. Those who doubt this have not seen how strong and quick the top women players are. All of this would be vs D3 players. Most of the top 10 boys high school teams could beat D3 teams too. If we're talking about the "sisters of the poor" D3 programs like some have mentioned, OK. But at schools that actually care about athletics, no way. I'd feel pretty good about any of the three boys' HS teams I watch on a regular basis against UConn, and two of the three are in the second tier of a weak region, and the other is a fringe contender for the region title. None of the three teams has any size to speak of either. I'm concerned you're trying to be more diplomatic than honest.
January 31, 201016 yr The Mathemagician's HS Team Heights v. UCONN's Heights 5'7'' 170 v. 5'9'' Jacquie Fernandes (Sr. Guard) 5'9'' 135 v. 5'10'' Tiffany Hayes (So Guard) 5'10'' 135 v. 5'10'' Kalana Greene (SR Guard) 5'10'' 140 v. 5'10'' Caroline Doty (So Guard) 6'1'' ?? v. 5'11'' Kelly Faris (FR Guard) 6'2'' 160 v. 6'0'' Maya Moore (Jr. Forward) 6'3'' 180 v. 6'0'' Meghan Gardler (SR Forward) 6'4'' 180 v. 6'2'' Kaili McLaren (SR Forward) 6'4'' 185 v. 6'3'' Heather Black (RS Fr Center) 6'4'' 245 v. 6'4'' Tina Charles (SR; Center) UCONN has 1 extra player: 5'4'' Lorin Dixon (Jr. Guard) Unfortunately, UCONN's website does not list the women's weight. I ranked the players according to height, so obviously these will not be accurate matchups. Honestly, the HS team is on the small side. The matchups aren't too crazy, although the boys are probably stronger & much heavier. Math -- could you provide the player's position with their height? I would enjoy watching Meghan Gardler go against the boys.:jump:
January 31, 201016 yr I would enjoy watching Meghan Gardler go against the boys.:jump: She can post up on me any time. Yowza! Where did this photo come from is what I want to know? Surely this isn't an official team photo; not with her using that "come hither" look like that.
January 31, 201016 yr Author She can post up on me any time. Yowza! Where did this photo come from is what I want to know? Surely this isn't an official team photo; not with her using that "come hither" look like that. I agree. I bet she can run the triangle offense to perfection! I don't know if any men's team would beat them. The guys would be way too distracted.
January 31, 201016 yr I would enjoy watching Meghan Gardler go against the boys.:jump: I second that.
January 31, 201016 yr The UCONN women vs D3 are just as quick in all positions and quicker in some. Most importantly quicker at the guard spot. Maya Moore would have no problem getting her shot whenever she wanted and the posts couldn't be moved off of the block. Those who doubt this have not seen how strong and quick the top women players are. All of this would be vs D3 players. Most of the top 10 boys high school teams could beat D3 teams too. Honestly, those two statements are ridiculous. Unless you're referring to the bottom of D3.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.