Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Could the UCONN Women beat a Mens Team???

Featured Replies

I just saw a similar question posed on another board. Some on that forum felt like the lady Huskies could compete against the poorest Men's D1 team. I certainly won't go that far, but those who think they wouldn't handle the majority of KY boys HS teams are just trying to kid yourselves.

:thumb::thumb:

 

I still believe people have an overinflated view of the physical and skill level of High School basketball. On 99% of the teams, you may have a guy or two that is superior in size and skill, but not the rest of the roster.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just saw a similar question posed on another board. Some on that forum felt like the lady Huskies could compete against the poorest Men's D1 team. I certainly won't go that far, but those who think they wouldn't handle the majority of KY boys HS teams are just trying to kid yourselves.

 

Dixie is a middle of the road NKY 9th region team. Solid. Not great.

 

I'm not 100% certain but I know they start a big 6'5 230 pound athletic center. They have another 6'2 to 6'3 kid at forward. They have an 8th grader at guard who is 5'10 to 5'11 and very thick who just put 34 points. They have a JR PG who is about 5'10 to 5'11 that is talented.

 

How is UConn going to compete with that with 5'4 guards? 6'0 forwards?

 

You're kidding yourself if you think they win.

From a pure physical standpoint, some would simply not be able handle the guys for Holmes, Scott County, etc. I would say 10 would be about the max. Basketball skill wise (baksetball IQ, dribbling, passing), I think up and down the roster UConn's women would be better than any high school team in Kentucky, and it is not even close.

 

I still think people are just looking at the players themselves being so much bigger and not considering anything else. We often times forget how un-fundamentally sound high school basketball is. That would be a huge advantage for the UConn women.

 

I just saw a similar question posed on another board. Some on that forum felt like the lady Huskies could compete against the poorest Men's D1 team. I certainly won't go that far, but those who think they wouldn't handle the majority of KY boys HS teams are just trying to kid yourselves.

 

I don't disagree with your points about the women's game or boy's high school teams but as I stated earlier, the biggest difference comes into play in a full-court game. If you're playing make-it-take-it on half-court, then it would be different. BUT, if you actually played a game on a full-court, then UConn would not beat the majority of KY HS teams.

I just saw a similar question posed on another board. Some on that forum felt like the lady Huskies could compete against the poorest Men's D1 team. I certainly won't go that far, but those who think they wouldn't handle the majority of KY boys HS teams are just trying to kid yourselves.

 

:thumb::thumb:

 

I still believe people have an overinflated view of the physical and skill level of High School basketball. On 99% of the teams, you may have a guy or two that is superior in size and skill, but not the rest of the roster.

 

I'm with these guys. I agree 100% that I don't think they'd beat any collegiate Men's teams, but some of you are stretching with not being able to beat High School Boys teams. JMO.

Athleticism, speed, and strength would play too much of a role. I do not think they could. I am not sexist, but I just think that it would be too hard to overcome jumping ability and speed.

Not even close. The guys could shoot with their opposite hand and beat them pretty easily.

  • Author

The HS team that I watch most often has won 14 of 16 games this year, 29 of the last 31 regional games, and is the favorite to represent the region in Rupp. If they played the Lady Huskies, the girls win IMO.

The HS team that I watch most often has won 14 of 16 games this year, 29 of the last 31 regional games, and is the favorite to represent the region in Rupp. If they played the Lady Huskies, the girls win IMO.

 

How big is this team? Mind posting their heights for the top 7 (or so) players?

The HS team that I watch most often has won 14 of 16 games this year, 29 of the last 31 regional games, and is the favorite to represent the region in Rupp. If they played the Lady Huskies, the girls win IMO.

 

Is that HS team a very small team? Do they run the Princeton offense? Do they never press?

It would never happen IMO. Any decent high school team would beat the Uconn team with ease. The girls would have to completely adjust their game to play with the boys. They wouldn't get many set shots off because the boys would easily fight through screens and I have not seen many women basketball players with legitimate back to basket fade aways. The boys would triple the rebounds the girls had and points in the paint.

 

Anyone would thinks the girls would beat alot of high school teams have never played against really good girls basketball players.

From '04 to '07 Caltech lost 59 consecutive games. This year, they're 0-16. They lost by an average of 25 per game. Their closest game was an 8 point loss to Fontbonne (5-10 overall). The rest of their games have all been double digit losses ranging from 12 to 50 points.

 

Capable of beating a team like that? I think so. Would they be the favorite? I don't think so.

 

Two points...if you dig far enough into the depths of mens basketball, you can find some really bad teams. Schools that only care about academics. Or the Moody Bible Institute. Second, even against those teams, I wouldn't expect UConn's women to win. I just think they'd have a chance.

If I played on a city league team, I think they could beat us. :isurrender:

I'll take UCONN women and play a mens D3 schedule and win 20. I've coached on both siides, I know!!

  • Author
I'll take UCONN women and play a mens D3 schedule and win 20. I've coached on both siides, I know!!

 

Thanks. Someone without the blinders of gender bias and the actual experience to know that they would compete well.

I'll take UCONN women and play a mens D3 schedule and win 20. I've coached on both siides, I know!!

 

UCONN would be very fortunate to go .500.

 

Thanks. Someone without the blinders of gender bias and the actual experience to know that they would compete well.

 

The blinders of gender bias? Are you suggesting that we're wrong for saying that men are bigger, stronger, faster and can jump higher?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.