Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKYBOY's 9th Region All Decade Team

Featured Replies

It's probably debatable as to whether or not he could make honorable mention, but the 7 footer from Dixie in '03 (name=??? 'May' ??? perhaps Steven???) that played with Russ Bramlege, played a large part in Dixie's success their senior year. Does anyone remember his name or if he played in college anywhere? :confused:

 

I hate to talk bad about someone, but he was awful. Especially for being 7', he should have be dominant and was far from that.

  • Replies 103
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I may be a bit biased, but I saw Brock, Doellman and Neltner play head to head many times and I can't think of a single game I came away thinking either of the two were better than Mike Brock.

 

You are a bit biased...

 

But, I am not and I would completely agree with you lol :thumb: Actually had this conversation on New Year's Eve this year as well lol.

Kevin Gilles has to be on this list somewhere. He had two excellent years on varsity and was co-MVP his senior yr. with Neltner. Easily scored over 750points in his career.

 

Kevin Gilles was a nice player (outstanding shooter), but if anyone that is missing from Highlands, I would have to go with Gino Gudgulli. Seemed to me that Gino did more things than Kevin. I thought Gino was a good defender, rebounder, and a decent ball handler for a bigger kid. Kevin was more of a spot up shooter and somewhat limited in other areas. I remember that Gino hit a the big shot in the final seconds to send Highlands to Rupp in 2001. He seemed like a big time player in crunch time.

Kevin Gilles was a nice player (outstanding shooter), but if anyone that is missing from Highlands, I would have to go with Gino Gudgulli. Seemed to me that Gino did more things than Kevin. I thought Gino was a good defender, rebounder, and a decent ball handler for a bigger kid. Kevin was more of a spot up shooter and somewhat limited in other areas. I remember that Gino hit a the big shot in the final seconds to send Highlands to Rupp in 2001. He seemed like a big time player in crunch time.

 

I remember that double overtime championship game against an excellent Connor team being one of the most intense, air sucked out of the gym, games I've ever witnessed. Highlands kind of came from nowhere that year while I was hoping that Connor would've won because I think they would've left a much bigger impression at Rupp that given year. Marcus Johnson was a fantastic, very controlled point guard. One of the smartest guards in the 9th in recent years along with Matt Fabiani from St. Henry. :thumb:

I hate to talk bad about someone, but he was awful. Especially for being 7', he should have be dominant and was far from that.

 

He certainly wasn't a killer on the court, but in his defense, without knowing for sure his season stats, I seem to recall that his senior year he was typically good for 12-15 points a game. By his senior year he hadn't had a tremendous amount of varsity experience. I'd like to know whatever became of him. Sometimes guys like him blossom with maturity. Remember Tim Volpenhein from Holy Cross? I think he eventually played pro in Europe after having played for Eastern Ky after his high school days were nothing to write home about.

Isn't Votel playing at Penn now, while Sorrell ended up at NKU? Sorrell was a great scorer but that was about it.

 

A great scorer? Not a bad thing to be remembered for. He was probably one of the best pure shooters the 9th had seen since Scott Draud & Troy McKinley. Sorrell was a treat to witness for sure. With pure shooters being such a rarity, the hat that he threw into the ring was awesome, refreshing and completely memorable to 9th Region Basketball History. :thumb:

HAHA! I was waiting for it. But truthfully I tried not to be biased. But when you take that 03' team that won the region, its hard to just pick 2 or 3 guys. Hard to argue with Eisenmenger, Love, and Lenhof. I know you were just kidding

 

I'm with you on your St. Henry picks. Love was fantastic and the '03 Fabiani lead team alone was one of the best bunch of shooters on one team that I can remember from a 9th Region team. I loved watching that team. You could always count on them to display excellent smart team play with lots of pretty 'COUNT IT!' shooting. :thumb:

Sorrell also averaged 12 boards a game, not too shabby.

Great list NKYBoy, but 8 players from St. Henry!?! A little home cooking!?! Only kidding, that is a pretty comprehensive list that is tough to argue with. I might switch some of players around but that is tough to argue. Thanks for sharing!

 

Isn't this where all of the Dave Faust supporters step in and tell us that he is responsible for the development of these players? :laugh: All kidding aside, this is a great list and has brought back the memory of many a great high school players that have graced the courts in the 9th!

Thank you Walter....but wow really? You think Hill was better. Give me your argument.

 

I absolutly fell in the love with the game of Arrez. He developed a good outside shot and there probably hasn't ever been a shut down defender like him in the area. 6ft tall and he could guard any opposing PG,SG,SF,PF or even Center. His leaps were abosolutly fascinating. One of the very special athletes to come out of this area.

 

Hill was much better offensively than Henderson. Arrez got a lot of his points within ten feet of the rim from simply using his athletic ability and pure strength to go up over defenders. I loved Arrez' defense and the intensity he played with but he wasn't as offensively gifted as Hill was.

 

Hill could absolutely do it all. He was every bit as strong as Henderson, possibly stronger, and also played lock down defense on whoever he guarded. The only difference is Hill had the big names (Jefferson, Rice) around him so he got overshadowed at times. When Rice got kicked off the team in 06' I remember Hill dropping 30+ in atleast three of the final 8 games, including a 37 point performance against Boone Co. He would dominate games from inside, midrange, and from outside.

 

Austin was also a much better ball handler and rebounded well too. Both were extremely talented and athletically gifted and honestly you can't go wrong with either on the first or second team, but I'd take Hill.

 

I know I may be a bit biased, but I saw Brock, Doellman and Neltner play head to head many times and I can't think of a single game I came away thinking either of the two were better than Mike Brock.

 

I've spoke to Mike several times about this and although he is a very humble guy, he'll be the first to tell you that politics were the biggest reason he didn't win Mr. Basketball his senior year. He simply didn't care for the award like Neltner and Highlands did so they did no campaigning for it and simply let his play on the court do his talking. Winning was what was most important to him.

 

Head to head, Brock got the better of both Doellman and Neltner. He was hands down the best big man in nky that year. He was too physical down low for both and that was what separated him from them.

Corey Pelle is a baller. just went over the 1000 point mark at his college.

He can jump over and around anyone in the gym. I don't think he ever guarded his man. he went right after the ball wherever it was and got there.

I forgot about Pelle. He should be listed as well. What a career he had and obviously tearing up the college ranks with pts and assists.

I forgot about Pelle. He should be listed as well. What a career he had and obviously tearing up the college ranks with pts and assists.

 

Wrong region. Silver Grove is in the 10th. But Pelle would be on this list if her were in the 9th.

Wrong region. Silver Grove is in the 10th. But Pelle would be on this list if her were in the 9th.

 

I know but since Silver Grove is very close to Fort Thomas its hard to say they are in another region. Since we are sticking to 9th Region though I understand. thanks

I know but since Silver Grove is very close to Fort Thomas its hard to say they are in another region. Since we are sticking to 9th Region though I understand. thanks

 

Region alignments are a whole different ballgame! You have three high schools in Kenton County Public, all three are in different Regions. (Dixie 9th, Scott 10th, Simon 8th)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.