Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Greatest UK Memories

Featured Replies

'75 UK upsets IU in Mideast Regional Final

 

'78 run. I knew that team was just too good not to win. (how naive I was)

 

'79 SEC tourney. Macy and Claytor put on a show and took the middle of the pack Cats to the tourney final but 4 games in 4 days took too much out of the thin team.

 

'92 Duke game. They were Spartans that made us proud. They went home lying on their shields having given their all.

 

'93 FSU game. Going to Final Four seemed to complete the journey from Probation.

 

'96 run. Greatest team I ever saw in terms of depth and efficiency.

 

'98 tourney run. I never dreamed that team would win the title. They were just not as talented as Arizona or UNC that year but they were as gutsy and gritty as any UK team. They reminded me a lot of what I always heard about the Fiddilin' Five.

Mine is the 1978 championship. I was too young to remember anything about the 1958 championship, so this was the first one I had experienced. After going through so many years of UCLA dominance during my grade school and high school years, it was unbelievable to see the Cats cut the nets down.

1978 I was 15 and at the Checkerdome with my parents and my best buddy. My folks gave us our own room. I still have my ticket stub. When Lee made that dunk we went crazy and my buddy and I both made it onto the floor for the net cuttings. AWESOME !!

Coach Cal and John Wall = 2010 National Champs. I have to wait for one but it will come true.

The 03 Florida game at Rupp, The 98 Duke game, Mardi Gras Miracle

The 03 Florida game at Rupp, The 98 Duke game, Mardi Gras Miracle

 

Be careful!!! 2 of those are Tubby memories! You could ruin your rep! :D

 

And BTW, those 3 would be on my list as well

 

1. The 96 championship (a long time coming)

2. The 98 championship (not expected, but welcome)

3. The Mardi Gras Miracle (was in Miami in a hotel room and almost changed the channel. So thankful I didn't)

4. The 78 championship (I was young, but got an A on a project I did for Kentucky History class on that game. A diorama (sp) with James Lee's dunk at the end of the game)

5. Tayshaun goes off hitting 3's from everywhere against UNC

6. The 98 regional championship game comeback vs Duke

7. The 03 UF game (still ticked off at one of my brothers who was there and I was invited)

8. The '92 UK vs Duke game (until the final shot by the player who shan't be named)

 

Since we are seeing the Cats try to get #8, ... I will limit my list to 8!!

Going all the way back to the season of 1963-64.When it started for me as a UK basketball fan.

The game was on Dec.31 of 63 during the Sugar Bowl Classic,which UK took care of Loyola,La the night before by the score of 86-64,and will play Duke for the Sugar Bowl Championship.

The game was tie at 79 with less then a minute to go.Cats with the ball,held it for the last shot,which was taken by Terry Mobley a 6'2" Jr.G with a second on the clock,made the shot as the Cats won 81-79.That made them 10-0,then took two loses,before going on another 10 winning steak to go 20-2,but loss four out of last five to finish 21-6,11-3 in the SEC,loss first round game to Ohio U in the NCAA,also loss the consolation game to Loyola,Chi.

My fondest memories are these:

 

1) UK beating Duke in 98 NCAA Regional final with a huge 2nd half comeback and Turner taking Wojo to school and Coach K with no answers and looking completely lost. Somehow, that game gave me a little redemption from the 92 game...

 

2) UK coming back on LSU from 34 down in 96 with a barrage of 3's and full court pressing the entire 2nd half, finally pressuring LSU into submission. Greatest comeback ever.

 

3) The Game. Duke/Ky in 92. I know it didn't end the way I wanted, but, a lasting memory just the same. I couldn't have been prouder of a team even in victory than I was that day, not to mention, just a terriffic game from start to finish.

 

4) The UK/WForest game in 96. Tim Duncan came into the game with all the hype and Wake was a Top 5-10 team all year long and the Cats clamped down on Duncan and Co and manhandled them to earn a Final 4 berth and eventual championship. That was also the 3rd win by the Cats over ACC teams in the tournament.

 

5) 54. Jodie Meeks was lights out and he did it in the Vols back yard. Awesome performance. I remember everytime he scored after the 1st 20 or so, my jaw dropped and all I could say was wow about 50 times.

The 03 Florida game at Rupp, The 98 Duke game, Mardi Gras Miracle

 

I was at the Florida game! Probally my favorite moment other than the Chuck Hayes senior night!

My fondest memories are these:

 

1) UK beating Duke in 98 NCAA Regional final with a huge 2nd half comeback and Turner taking Wojo to school and Coach K with no answers and looking completely lost. Somehow, that game gave me a little redemption from the 92 game...

 

2) UK coming back on LSU from 34 down in 96 with a barrage of 3's and full court pressing the entire 2nd half, finally pressuring LSU into submission. Greatest comeback ever.

 

3) The Game. Duke/Ky in 92. I know it didn't end the way I wanted, but, a lasting memory just the same. I couldn't have been prouder of a team even in victory than I was that day, not to mention, just a terriffic game from start to finish.

 

4) The UK/WForest game in 96. Tim Duncan came into the game with all the hype and Wake was a Top 5-10 team all year long and the Cats clamped down on Duncan and Co and manhandled them to earn a Final 4 berth and eventual championship. That was also the 3rd win by the Cats over ACC teams in the tournament.

 

5) 54. Jodie Meeks was lights out and he did it in the Vols back yard. Awesome performance. I remember everytime he scored after the 1st 20 or so, my jaw dropped and all I could say was wow about 50 times.

 

:thumb: To all the memories. Spot on.

 

However, I don't recall UK beating 3 ACC teams in the tourney that year. They beat:

 

San Jose State

Virginia Tech

Utah

Wake Forest

UMass

Syracuse.

 

:confused:

The 96 teams, national championship game agianst Syracuse.

'98 tourney run. I never dreamed that team would win the title. They were just not as talented as Arizona or UNC that year but they were as gutsy and gritty as any UK team. They reminded me a lot of what I always heard about the Fiddilin' Five.

 

I agree with you on this one. That was perhaps the least talented national championship team in the last 20 years. A great run. It is always more fun when you win unexpectedly.

I was at the Florida game! Probally my favorite moment other than the Chuck Hayes senior night!

 

I can't figure out for the life of me why that team played so agressive that year on both sides of the ball, and the rest of Tubby's teams did not. I still break out that old tape from time to time. It never gets old. That whole team was one of my favorites of all time.

Top five greatest memories:

 

Duke 1963 the Sugar Bowl Classic

 

Tennessee 1964 the stall game,final score 42-38

 

Tennessee 1965 a 61-60 win

 

Duke 1978 Championship game

 

Duke 1998 the Comeback game

 

Next five:

 

Utah 1998 Championship game

 

Notre Dame 1969,final score 102-100 a win

 

Tennessee 1972,a 67-66 win at Knoxville

 

Syracuse 1996 Championship game

 

Mississippi St. 1976,last game played at Memorial Coliseum,a win by the score

of 94-93 in OT.

 

And there's more great memories still and more to come in the future.

Mine has to be the 96 team's run through the tournament. I loved watching this team play.

 

I did enjoy the 85 team's run to the Sweet 16 in a "down" year for UK. Sent Joe B. out on a nice note with some vindication for the 84 final four loss.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.