Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4A Final: Boyle County 42 Lone Oak 39 2OT

Featured Replies

Is that the game where the kid threw the ball up in the air?

 

No. See above.

 

You're thinking of the game they still talk about in Murray. :D

  • Replies 158
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. What a game!!

 

In 1987, the Danville Admirals beat Mayfield in the state championship by blocking an extra point in overtime. I have long considered that game to be the best/most exciting game I've seen at state. Last night's game now takes the top spot for me personally.

 

The first half was VERY frustrating for the Rebels. The defensive strategy was basically to play a 3-4 set so as to have their coverage concentrated on stopping the short to medium range passing attack. Well, let's just say that didn't work very well because Lone Oak not only shredded our secondary, they also are very balanced with a very good running game so they exploited the Rebels up front too. So, we're sitting there at halftime down 22-7 and I must say I was pretty dejected.

 

The team that came out on the field the 2nd half was a different team altogether. The D strategy changed from relying on increased pass coverage to concentrating on pressuring the quarterback and what a difference it made. So when you combine the effective change in defensive strategy with an improved offensive output and a couple of huge plays (blocked punt, McShara TD pass, FG at end of regulation), you get a recipe for a comeback.

Surely they didn't take the foot off of the gas pedal when they were just 15 point ahead at half time. That statement is ludicrous. I think it's disrespectable to Boyle County to say that. Oh well, who got the W.

 

 

 

Please...

 

Many coaches will make the mistake of going conservative with a 3 score lead. The problem is...Lone Oak quit going downfield with the ball which allowed the Rebels to bring the defense closer to the LOS (what titletownclown just said). It gave Boyle Co. just enough opportunity to tie the score in regulation.

 

This one IS different from the other Boyle Co. titles. The Rebels didn't need help in the other games.

Please...

 

Many coaches will make the mistake of going conservative with a 3 score lead. The problem is...Lone Oak quit going downfield with the ball which allowed the Rebels to bring the defense closer to the LOS. It gave Boyle Co. just enough opportunity to tie the score in regulation.

 

This one IS different from the other Boyle Co. titles. The Rebels didn't need help in the other games.

 

Actually, the change in defensive strategy employed by Boyle wherein they started pressuring the qb helped to make it difficult for the LO qb to go downfied so that he had to start looking for shorter routes and such. In short, the change in LO's offensive output was necessitated by Boyle's defensive pressure.

I had to relive the game updates before I read this thread and made my post.

 

Anyone who was at this game knows that there aren't enough words to describe the range of emotions that fans from both schools went through. The game gets more special every time I talk about it and I am glad I was able to be there.

 

Lone Oak is a truly great football team. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how well the Lone Oak offense line played yesterday. They gave Looper all kinds of time all day long to make a play. Grant Aumiller and Paul Megilligan were completely taken out of the game yesterday and that contributed to Lone Oak's success on offense. My hat is off to Lone Oak's Offensive Line because they were absolutely amazing. Lone Oak's qb, Looper, is the best qb we faced all year and he made some great throws yesterday. I think the 2nd td pass was one where he put it in the back of the end zone and the fullback ran to the ball and caught. Truly a great play. Lone Oak torched our defense and I never would have thought that possible. They had a great game plan and they executed it efficiently.

 

I do not think that Lone Oak let off the gas. As was mentioned we began blitzing and that put pressure on the qb. In fact, a lot of the reason we were still in the game was because Lone Oak was still passing the ball. When we were down 29-19 with 8:01 left, Lone Oak got the ball and went 3 and out and because of pass plays, incompletions, they burnt off a minute, maybe two. Maybe if they had run the ball they could have burnt more clock. I think we got the ball back with about 6 minutes or so left. When we scored to make it 29-26, there was over 4 minutes left in the game. The same thing happened on Lone Oak's next possession. They continued to pass, they just weren't as successful with it in the 4th quarter as they had been throughout the game. The illegal touching play on 3rd down was huge and kind of funny to watch because the lineman caught the screen pass and then just stood there knowing he can't catch the ball. Wasn't his fault, there were only lineman there, the pressure that Looper was under forced him to make a play, unfortunately, there were only lineman there to help the qb out. So no, I don't think Lone Oak let up, I think the Boyle defense finally forced Lone Oak to have to make plays and the defense responded by not allowing them to.

 

Now, for the blocking in the back penalty on the kickoff return, it happened right in front of me and I thought it was a good call. I don't know all the technicalities involved in making a blocking in the back call, I think Devin Cox still would have scored, but from where I was standing, it looked like a block in the back. I saw him coming to make the hit before it happened and after the hit I looked for the flag and it came out instantly.

 

My take on the delay of game non call on the fg attempt at the game was....the play clock hit zero, the ball was snapped, the kick was good, no flag. The refs did us no favors all game long, I don't see why they would have done us a favor then. It was close enough to where I am glad the refs didn't decide the game. After reading posts and finding out the refs keep the official time on the field, well, once again I say, no flag so the play counts. I really don't know what else to say about that. The game was not decided by the refs so I am not mad at all. For the record, I thought in the 2OT that Boone got in on 3rd and goal. His progress was never stopped and he rode his lineman over the goal line. He scored on 4th and goal so it doesn't matter, but had he not, I guarantee a lot of people would be discussing that.

 

As for Boyle County all I can say is they FINISHED THE FIGHT!!!!!! Yesterday was my proudest day ever as a Rebel and I know there are many more proud days to come. They showed a lot of heart and they never quit. I was never worried for some odd reason, I was pretty calm throughout the game while most people around me were sick for 3 and a half quarters. I never felt that we were out of it and I have said all year long that I don't believe we are beat until we are down 2 tds with 30 seconds left in the game and the opponent is in the victory formation. I am grateful for the Rebels justifying my calmness.

 

Again, I am very glad I was able to attend the game yesterday. Lone Oak is a great team and I was wrong about what we would do to them. Had Lone Oak pulled it out, I was prepared to say that they were a truly great team that I underestimated. Maybe we will meet up again in the future.

Please...

 

Many coaches will make the mistake of going conservative with a 3 score lead. The problem is...Lone Oak quit going downfield with the ball which allowed the Rebels to bring the defense closer to the LOS (what titletownclown just said). It gave Boyle Co. just enough opportunity to tie the score in regulation.

 

This one IS different from the other Boyle Co. titles. The Rebels didn't need help in the other games.

 

They really only went downfield a few times. They were killing us with short to medium range passes and then running after the catch. Looper dumped the ball to Starks and Chris Cook had to make open field tackles on Starks after he was gaining 5 yards on the pass. It's not like Lone Oak dropped back and went downfield every pass play. Looper found the open man regardless of where he was and the Lone Oak receivers did a great job of getting yards after the catch. In the first half our defense would watch them catch the ball, and then tackle the receiver.

I am going to say that Boyle had a hard time getting ready for LO this week because they celebrated last week like they had won the state title IMO.

 

Naw, Lone Oak is a great football team. They had and used the type of balance to make us look silly. They were a great team that we adjusted to at the right time before it was too late.

 

All of the celebrating last week was because Boyle County was actually going to a state game without Chuck Smith as head coach coupled with the fact that the previous year's loss to you guys was really painful. Also the intense game winning kick helped add to the excitement. While it was good to beat you guys, I think we'd have celebrated a lot more heartier had we beaten LexCath to go to state.:D I know I would have anyways.:D

Prestonsburg held a 12-0 lead on Mayfield in the '93 2A Title game with 5:00 remaining in the game (this was the P-burg team that upset the great Danville team the week before).

 

The Blackcats had a blown coverage to surrender a long pass and a fumbled snap on a subsequent punt leading to losing the lead. Then after that had a winning TD called back by a holding call and a winning FG miss by

 

Bottom line... it relates as "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory". And yes...that game is still talked about in Prestonsburg (just as this year's game will be talked about in the Lone Oak community for many years).

 

:bunny:

Prestonsburg's second touchdown came at about the 9:00 mark, but otherwise, oneijoe's pain is recounted largely accurately.
The turning point was when Boyle County was down 29-19. They blocked a Lone Oak punt and recovered it. Goldsmith hits Dawson in the front of the endzone later on in that drive after the blocked punt.

 

Then Boyle County dared Lone Oak to beat them with the offense and the Boyle County defense came up big. The Rebels got good field position from a shanked punt around Lone Oak's 35. The Rebs got to the 22 yard line and Philip Barsotti came up HUGE. Made the kick with 4 seconds left to force overtime. WOW! WHAT A GAME! GO REBELS! :banana:

 

Also, Lone Oak was an outstanding team. The way the offense is ran is just crazy. Congrats on a good season. You'd hate to see either team lose with the way they both played.

 

Boyle County did what they do best and that was FINISH THE FIGHT! :ylsuper:

 

CharlesW! Thanks for your kind words my friend! You Boyle fans have every reason to be proud of your team. I guaratee you we folks in Lone Oak our proud of ours! Hope both teams have great seasons next year! Go Flash!

I saw a handful of "fans" leave. They missed one heck of a game! :thumb:

 

 

I can't fathom folks leaving in a championship game!

Surely they didn't take the foot off of the gas pedal when they were just 15 point ahead at half time. That statement is ludicrous. I think it's disrespectable to Boyle County to say that. Oh well, who got the W.

 

Great job Rebels on yout 6th chanpionship.:ylsuper: :dancingpa:dancingpa

 

You may think it's ludicrous, but the game plan changed for Lone Oak once they were up 16, and not at the half, but with 8 minutes to go in the game, they were up 16. Lone Oak was the better team IMO, but they let up against Boyle just like they did with LexCath on 9-11. You can't do that against a very good team. Stick with the game plan, do what got you there. Lone Oak didn't. If you read many of the other posts in the column, mine isn't the only opinion that Lone Oak giftwrapped this one. Give credit to Boyle, they didn't give up. Unfortunately, this LO season will not be remembered for their first 14 victories, but the last game which they let slip away.

You don't even want to get me started on this subject about how people think we should have lost this game. How did Murray have a trophy saying real state champs when we have the 94 Class A State Title in the Trophy Case at Beechwood? We are in the record books saying we were and always will be the Class A Champs in 1994. The Ref named Joey Brewer blew the whistle when he thought that our QB went out of bounds. It was an inverterted whistle. I know that I didn't spell that right. Either way we would have won the title. I was a starting senior OL on the 1994 Beechwood team that year. It always has and always will be a very touchie subject for me because I always have to explain to people that we won not Murray. I know that you were just talking about it so if you think I was yelling at you I wasn't at all.

 

You don't have to explain anything to me. I have heard and read all the explanations on this one. Murray High fans still talk about this one, and they will till Jesus comes again, (and probably even after that) I'm from WK and I'm not even a fan of Murray High. But like you said, I'm just talking about what happened. However it turned out, is the way it turned out. But just know that was one game high school sports fans won't forget.

You may think it's ludicrous, but the game plan changed for Lone Oak once they were up 16, and not at the half, but with 8 minutes to go in the game, they were up 16. Lone Oak was the better team IMO, but they let up against Boyle just like they did with LexCath on 9-11. You can't do that against a very good team. Stick with the game plan, do what got you there. Lone Oak didn't. If you read many of the other posts in the column, mine isn't the only opinion that Lone Oak giftwrapped this one. Give credit to Boyle, they didn't give up. Unfortunately, this LO season will not be remembered for their first 14 victories, but the last game which they let slip away.

 

After watching the video today, some of that is true and some is not. Boyle's defense stepped up the pressure and as the game got tighter, so did the Lone Oak kids. They played hard but were in the perfect storm. Quicksand.

 

I don't think Lone Oak was the better team, both played their game for a half each. Both were evenly matched. Boyle made much of their own mistakes (penatlies and fumble) that almost killed their comeback.

 

Time will help Lone Oak remember how great the year was.:thumb:

After watching the video today, some of that is true and some is not. Boyle's defense stepped up the pressure and as the game got tighter, so did the Lone Oak kids. They played hard but were in the perfect storm. Quicksand.

 

I don't think Lone Oak was the better team, both played their game for a half each. Both were evenly matched. Boyle made much of their own mistakes (penatlies and fumble) that almost killed their comeback.

 

Time will help Lone Oak remember how great the year was.:thumb:

 

Point well made, and taken. My thoughts in that Lone Oak was the better team, is that they weren't better by much. I thought they had more offensive weapons than any team they've played this year, and a great defense to back it up. LO has no D-1 prospects this year, nor "stars", as does Boyle with McSharra. But my main point is this. There's NO reason why you should ever give up 3 scores to the opposition when you lead by 16 points with 8 minutes to go. Whether you're Lone Oak, Boyle County, or whomever. Boyle County proved yesterday, that it's not over, until it's over, a lesson that Lone Oak should learn.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.