Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What would you like to see take the place of the BCS?

Featured Replies

Have said this several times and no one seems to like my idea. Play a ten week schedule, then use all the bowl games as playoff games. 64 teams just like basketball. Use the lesser bowls as the first round games with the higher seeds playing closer to home. So the Motor City could end up with maybe Michigan versus a team from that region, would guess there would be a lot more interst in the Motor City bowl. My plan takes 5 or 6 weeks been awhile since I wrote it all down. Then you don't have teams taking a month off in between games and cutting back to a 10 game regular season you end up finished at the same time. A true national champion would be crowned.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have said this several times and no one seems to like my idea. Play a ten week schedule, then use all the bowl games as playoff games. 64 teams just like basketball. Use the lesser bowls as the first round games with the higher seeds playing closer to home. So the Motor City could end up with maybe Michigan versus a team from that region, would guess there would be a lot more interst in the Motor City bowl. My plan takes 5 or 6 weeks been awhile since I wrote it all down. Then you don't have teams taking a month off in between games and cutting back to a 10 game regular season you end up finished at the same time. A true national champion would be crowned.
There is no way college football would go to a 16 game format.
I love the current system. Why do they need to do anything?

Overall I like the current system. I am not opposed to a +1 though.

I would like to see the same system that is very successful at NCAA 1AA, NCAA DII and NCAA DIII

Overall I like the current system. I am not opposed to a +1 though.

 

I agree and would like to see the plus one.

I would like to see the plus one. That would be the most fair way IMO, if they they allowed one of the four places to be given to a non-BCS conference team provided they finished in the top 5 of the BCS.

 

The Plus One idea is probably the most likely (although probably still won't happen). I would be MUCH happier with that, but would like an 8 team playoff.

If we had a playoff what would we discuss, complain and argue about all year?

 

It is a very unique system and probably takes more luck than any other sport to win a national title. The system has also sparked the "my conference is better than your conference" debate in a huge way because each schedule is very different and plays a huge role in the computers.

I'm really not sure how anyone could like the current system.

 

It's the worst system in any sport, period. The championship should be decided through a playoff format. Not one game. I know it's rare, but in cases where there are more than two undefeated teams, it's unfair to the odd team out.

I would like to see the same system that is very successful at NCAA 1AA, NCAA DII and NCAA DIII

Right.:thumb:

If they can do it and make it work then why can't it replace the current system?

I love the current system. Why do they need to do anything?

Tell that to the undefeated Auburn team from a few years ago.

I would like to see a 16 team playoff. Then I would like to see an additional 16 team playoff for teams 17 to 32 (NIT like). I would use the current computer system and take the top 32 teams.

 

 

This is exactly what I have been saying when people ask me about it.

I don't know why college football hasn't borrowed the template layed out by college basketball. (I wish I could take credit for this, but for the life of me still can't remember who came up with this!) Their scenario I remember goes something like this...

 

First of all, ALL 11 Conference Champions get an automatic bid. That includes ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Pac 10, SEC, Sun Belt, and WAC. Doens't matter how strong/weak the conference is in relation to another conference...you take care of business and win it...you're in.

 

Then, there are 5 at-large bids. These are taken, regardless of conference, based upon the computer rankings. Therefore, having a higher strength of schedule, can be beneficial to getting one of these berths.

 

These 16 teams are then seeded. (Again, using the computer might be the best way to do this, as it helps take out some biasness for/against certain teams.)

 

First round of the playoffs are held at the higher seeded team's site. That's right, a home game for the first round. Again, a bit of a reward for being a higher seed.

 

Quarter-final games are then played at some of the "mid-level" bowl sites. Your semi-finals and national championship game are rotated amongst the "bigger" sites (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, etc.).

 

Bowl sites not selected/used for the playoffs would be welcome to invite any team not participating in national playoffs. (Think of it as the NIT of college football.)

 

So, as of right now, your field of 16 might look like this...

 

ACC - Georgia Tech

Big 12 - Texas

Big East - Cincinnati

Big 10 - Iowa

C-USA - Houston

MAC - Temple

Mountain West - TCU

PAC 10 - Oregon

SEC - Florida

Sun Belt - Troy

WAC - Boise State

 

With the at-large bids of:

Alabama

LSU

Penn State

USC

Utah

 

I know people are going to say teams like Temple or Troy don't belong there. That they'd rather have a Pittsburgh or Ohio State in those slots. But, again here's the thing...you take care of business and win your conference...you're in. You get in and win....you keep playing. You keep playing long enough....you're national champions.

 

Plus, it give the Temples and Troys of the country a chance to be a George Mason or Davidson. Even if they win just one game every now and then, it's going to be big news! (Think if App. State had beat Michigan in the first round of the playoffs!)

 

They also said it has the added benefit of the first round being at home...so, travel expenses would be cut in half (for that round), by having one team host.

 

As I said before, it's darn near a copy of the NCAA Basketball tournament...and it's the best alternative I've seen. It makes so much sense, that it's pretty much guaranteed to be ignored.

Overall I like the current system. I am not opposed to a +1 though.

 

I love the current system. Why do they need to do anything?

 

Nothing

 

You all like how college football crowns a so called "National Champion" by basing it on opinions basically? The current system now is just like well we think these two teams are the best two teams in the nation, so they will play for the title. Its not based on who really is the best on the field, its based on opinion. Sometimes you might have one team who loses one game and wins a conference that was really tough, while you might have a team that goes undefeated in a conference that wasn't as tough and they get to go to the Title game a lot like Ohio State a few years ago. Or could be vice verse and a team like a UC might not get to play for the title this year and they might not lose a game. Or take Auburn a few years back the go undefeated in the SEC and don't even get a chance at the title. I mean I just don't get how people can like a system that really is not fair.

 

There needs to be a playoff system, and have it as at least 8 teams IMO. Have the 6 teams who win their conferences in the major conferences get an automatic bid, and then two at larges. This way you have a fair chance at getting to play for the title, because if you win your conference you are in. Then say if your one of the smaller schools like a Boise St, you have a chance to get an at large and get a shot at playing for the title. A playoff system is the only fair thing to do, and won't take away from the season. I mean still one lost could end up costing a team a chance at winning their conference. So the season still means a lot, and also if it is a 8 team playoff system you can still keep all the bowl games too. So if you all love it as it is now, I don't know how you wouldn't love it even more if it was a playoff system like a 8 team playoff. That would be very exciting, and probably make it the most exciting sport and post season to watch over any other sport pro or college.

We have a playoff already. started last late August. Bama wins out we are in.

 

Now to really have input a plus one would be great. The Gators and Utah last year is a perfect example and someone mentioned Auburn. Can you imagine a undefeated SEC team not getting a chance to play? This would help in some years. LSU had two losses two years ago and I think it played out where a plus one didn't fit.

Keep the BCS formula to determine the ten teams that participate in the BCS games, and after those games are played, take the top two BCS teams and let them play to see who the National Champion is.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.