Fly Fishing

formerkywrestler

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest mistakes I made when I started was trying to control the line instead of the rod, and rushing the cast.

Remember, you can't push a rope, but you can pull one pretty easily. When you bring that rod up to 12 or 1 o'clock, you have to pause there and wait for all that line to pan out behind you before you drop the rod again out in front of you. It takes practice, but you have to be deliberate, but not jerky, and don't treat it like a whip. If your line is well out behind you before you bring your rod back forward, it will float out there in front where you want it. If you start your frontcast before the line pans out behind you, you will be "pushing a rope" and it will be ugly (and you might catch yourself in the ear, trust me).

My uncle taught me when I was about 12 yrs old. He would have me stand out in the yard and when I backcasted, he had me let the line lay all the way out on the grass. Then he would have me frontcast it and let it lay all the way out in front of me. It taught me to feel the weight of the line.

I haven't flyfished in a few years now, but this thread is giving me the fever. :banana:

Thank you. I came in for about 10 minutes this morning to check on the dogs and pulled this thread up. That advice helped a lot.

And now I definitely have the FEVER!

Awesome pics. I'll bet that bass felt like a whale on the fly rod. What a great way to start. :dancingpa:
Thank you.

OH YEA...I caught him on a black Wooly Bugger right in front of a patch of lily pads. While trying to keep him out of the lily pads it seemed to take hours to land him (though probably just a couple of minutes elapsed). The two bluegill I caught afterwards felt like little ol minners compared to him.

I have honestly never been more proud of a fish I've caught before...something about catching them on the fly just makes it better.

Can't wait to get back out tonight.

• 9 months later...

FKW, this thread got me to break out the flyfishing gear this spring. Caught a bunch of bluegill and red-ears (shellcrackers) over Memorial Day weekend and had a blast. Also had a good fish fry.

My oldest son is 12 and now he wants me to teach him. I have completed the circle of life. :D

Do you have any updates on your quest?

Anybody else doing any flyfishing?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

It’s funny you brought it up. A buddy of mine got a tenkara rod last year and loves it. I gave it a go on a bikepacking trip. Tons of fun and super portable. Just bought one an hour ago.

DRAGONtail Tenkara HELLbender Zoom 13' / 11.3' Tenkara Rod PLUS Complete Starter Package – Flies, Leader, Tippet, Line Holder, Storage Tube, and Rod Sock Amazon.com : DRAGONtail Tenkara HELLbender Zoom 13' / 11.3' Tenkara Rod PLUS Complete Starter Package - Flies, Leader, Tippet, Line Holder, Storage Tube, and Rod Sock : Sports & Outdoors

Paid for the one day shipping. Hoping to burn up some panfish this weekend.