August 27, 200917 yr IF Pitino really wanted this to go away and stop having it in the press he should have made a statement through his attorney Steve Pence instead of bashing the media and such. Was it just me or did anyone else get the sense hearing ole Rick state that only he is telling the truth in this matter and that all of her allegations are false that there are some things that ole Ricky does not want coming out or if they do not wanting us to believe them. While I believe that Karen Sypher is a little off her rocker...I also have to say that the truth in this whole situation probably lies somewhere between her story and Pitino's story. And Pitino is off HIS rocker if he thinks this scandal has not hurt his recruiting any
August 27, 200917 yr So Pitino (who is a married man) has sex in a restaurant. But somehow it's the media's fault his family had to read the bad stories about him? I'm not connecting the dots there.... Pitino's at Louisville now. It's the media's fault.
August 27, 200917 yr Funny thing, I just got in and read this thread for the first time. All the UofL fans are defending him and all the UK fans are bashing him. I am not seeing that at all. I think 99/100 UK and UL fans alike just gave off a collective :ohbrother: to Rick for one of the more dumber PR moves in media history. He single handily made this a national story again yesterday. Although the circumstance are different, you don't see Big Ben acting a fool calling press conferences attempting to defend himself against someone that most believe is mentally unstable. RRR is dead on in saying, "He's a control freak without control." I also believe this is a preemptive strike for another bombshell.
August 27, 200917 yr I am not seeing that at all. I think 99/100 UK and UL fans alike just gave off a collective :ohbrother: to Rick for one of the more dumber PR moves in media history. He single handily made this a national story again yesterday. Although the circumstance are different, you don't see Big Ben acting a fool calling press conferences attempting to defend himself against someone that most believe is mentally unstable. RRR is dead on in saying, "He's a control freak without control." I also believe this is a preemptive strike for another bombshell. I said that as well in my post (not the exact same words, but the same concept). Yet everyone has acted like I'm defending his tryst. Unbelievable.
August 27, 200917 yr I'm shocked... What does that mean? All I'm saying is that I can see where he feels the way he does and why, but I'm not saying he did the right thing yesterday, and definitely not months ago.
August 27, 200917 yr What does that mean? All I'm saying is that I can see where he feels the way he does and why, but I'm not saying he did the right thing yesterday, and definitely not months ago. Only thing I can think of is that he was trying to rectify some element of his marriage by publicly calling out the media? That would be fine if the group he was calling out was not the group he spoke in front of. I really have no idea what the man was doing? I have felt all along Rick would be back coaching this season; yesterday was the first day I started doubting that because he came off as so desperate.
August 27, 200917 yr I'm torn. I think that many are missing his point, in that I think he wants to spare his family the constant repetition of the story. I think he's also anxious to have the truths he alludes to revealed. I think he's in a situation he's unfamiliar with...one in which he has no control. Yes, he messed up royally. Yes, he deserves criticism. But I'm not sure I agree that his "comeuppance" should be the embarrassment of his family in the media, day after day after day. Of course, the media is doing their job, and it is a sensational, salicious story. I don't necessarily agree with him attacking the media. But I can certainly understand how he feels. The bottom line is that he should have thought about that before doing what we did. It's nobody's fault but Slick Rick. :thumb:
August 27, 200917 yr I am not seeing that at all. I think 99/100 UK and UL fans alike just gave off a collective :ohbrother: to Rick for one of the more dumber PR moves in media history. He single handily made this a national story again yesterday. Although the circumstance are different, you don't see Big Ben acting a fool calling press conferences attempting to defend himself against someone that most believe is mentally unstable. RRR is dead on in saying, "He's a control freak without control." I also believe this is a preemptive strike for another bombshell. He is trying to put out the fire with gasoline....................should have listened to his attorney and kept his mouth shut. I think that most everyone realizes that this lady is "out there" somewhere and Pitino lecturing the media is not a very wise move on his part.:confused:
August 27, 200917 yr I have struggled with the Kennedy connection and why he brought it up. Then a co-worker gave me his theory, ... "Subconsciously, Pitino brought up Kennedy to point out that at least he didn't handle the woman he was messing around with the way Kennedy did years ago." :sssh: J/K Either this was a preemptive strike because of something else coming out or just a mistake.
August 27, 200917 yr I have struggled with the Kennedy connection and why he brought it up. He brought it up because he thought Ted Kennedy's death was more important than Karen Sypher, and local news broke into the Kennedy coverage to report about the Sypher tapes...
August 27, 200917 yr He brought it up because he thought Ted Kennedy's death was more important than Karen Sypher, and local news broke into the Kennedy coverage to report about the Sypher tapes... I realize that. It was a joke. I put the J/K below it. I have struggled with the Kennedy connection and why he brought it up. Then a co-worker gave me his theory, ... "Subconsciously, Pitino brought up Kennedy to point out that at least he didn't handle the woman he was messing around with the way Kennedy did years ago." J/K Either this was a preemptive strike because of something else coming out or just a mistake.
August 27, 200917 yr What does that mean? All I'm saying is that I can see where he feels the way he does and why, but I'm not saying he did the right thing yesterday, and definitely not months ago. It's sarcasm... I'm really not at all shocked that you would find a way to defend his thinking and frame of mind, in fact when I started reading this thread it was your post I was waiting for... Hope that doesn't offend you but I think it was (your defense) quite predictable...
August 27, 200917 yr It's sarcasm... I'm really not at all shocked that you would find a way to defend his thinking and frame of mind, in fact when I started reading this thread it was your post I was waiting for... Hope that doesn't offend you but I think it was (your defense) quite predictable... I don't consider what I'm saying a defense. It's merely that I've put myself in his shoes, and tried to think how I would feel in the same situation. It's called empathy, not to be confused with sympathy.
August 27, 200917 yr I understand why Pitino felt he had to do this. The story won't completely go away and he is getting frustrated. But lately, it seems to have died down. What I wonder about is when he says that 'everything you are hearing, ... except what he has told you, ... is a lie'. Not my words, but his. I find that very interesting as I thought the story was really starting to die down quite a bit lately. Seems like this press conference is just stirring it all up again.
August 27, 200917 yr I don't consider what I'm saying a defense. It's merely that I've put myself in his shoes, and tried to think how I would feel in the same situation. It's called empathy, not to be confused with sympathy. It's kind of like when the media was giving Sarah Palin a hard time about her kids. The excuse then was she put them out there so they were fair game. Rick Pitino is much more high profile than Sarah P. he even tells Karen on one of the taped phone conversations. He put his family out there along with himself. No ones fault but his.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.