Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Pitino Press Conference Today

Featured Replies

I have always been a fan of Pitino, but I am not sure this press conference was needed today. I have to agree with some of the posters on here it was not vintage Pitino.

  • Replies 135
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what deadspin has to say about the presser. More to come in tomorrow's papers I'm sure:

 

Earlier today, police released videotapes of the interviews with Karen Sypher where she accused Rick Pitino of all that bad stuff. Well, Pitino did not like that one bit and he's got the angry press conference rant to prove it.

 

Pitino lashed out at the media for interrupting Ted Kennedy Day to report "lies" about him. Everything is a lie except for the stuff that Rick Pitino said, so why don't you print that in your pinko commie rags?

 

Don't forget that he's the victim here! Yes, the news reporters have pointed out that Pitino has been charged with nothing, while Karen Sypher will go on trial for extortion. (Hopefully! He needs this trial and her craziness is really inconvenient for him.) But that's not what's important here. The economy is. So is Ted Kennedy. And basketball. And recruiting, which is going just fine by the way. Because Rick Pitino is not a liar like the media is. He apologized to his family six years ago! He's a New Yorker! What more do you want?

 

He was so mad he even forgot to work in a 9/11 reference. His lawyers told him to keep quiet—probably because they know that angry, hyper-defensive rants generally don't win you sympathy points—but Rick Pitino doesn't care what lawyers think. He cares about Ted Kennedy. When you're in a scandal, you won't a finer role model to turn to.

I thought the presser was one of the dumbest things Rick could do.

I thought the presser was one of the dumbest things Rick could do.

 

:thumb: Telling UofL fans not to read it in the paper and if on TV...turn the ch....

I'm torn. I think that many are missing his point, in that I think he wants to spare his family the constant repetition of the story. I think he's also anxious to have the truths he alludes to revealed. I think he's in a situation he's unfamiliar with...one in which he has no control.

 

Yes, he messed up royally. Yes, he deserves criticism. But I'm not sure I agree that his "comeuppance" should be the embarrassment of his family in the media, day after day after day.

 

Of course, the media is doing their job, and it is a sensational, salicious story. I don't necessarily agree with him attacking the media. But I can certainly understand how he feels.

I'm torn. I think that many are missing his point, in that I think he wants to spare his family the constant repetition of the story. I think he's also anxious to have the truths he alludes to revealed. I think he's in a situation he's unfamiliar with...one in which he has no control.

 

Yes, he messed up royally. Yes, he deserves criticism. But I'm not sure I agree that his "comeuppance" should be the embarrassment of his family in the media, day after day after day.

 

Of course, the media is doing their job, and it is a sensational, salicious story. I don't necessarily agree with him attacking the media. But I can certainly understand how he feels.

 

 

Rockmom, he should have kept his pants on, if he wanted to spare his family the constant repetition of the trouble he (and no one else) brought upon his family. I realize he is sorry now, but is he sorry for the act, or is he sorry for the hassle it is causing him and his family, after being caught!

 

As they say, if you can't do the time, you should be doing the crime!

Rockmom, he should have kept his pants on, if he wanted to spare his family the constant repetition of the trouble he (and no one else) brought upon his family. I realize he is sorry now, but is he sorry for the act, or is he sorry for the hassle it is causing him and his family, after being caught!

 

As they say, if you can't do the time, you should be doing the crime!

 

 

Absoultely he should have! But if Sypher hadn't extorted him, and weren't now on trial, this would have been a short-lived story, even if it were revealed. But because of Sypher's extortion, this is going on for months and months and months.

 

You have no idea whether he was remorseful before the tryst was revealed. There's no way you COULD know, so that's not a valid attack. I am constantly amazed at just how merciless people can be of well-known people who make mistakes.

He's a control freak without control. I feel his pain.

 

I understand what he did but I wouldn't advise him to have done it.

All Pitino has done is brought more gas to the fire. He simply could have released a harmless statement and said the truth will come out and not to believe everything you hear, and so forth and so on.

To call a presser just reopens the wound and open himself up to more media intrusion.

Pitino has masterfully manipulated the media for years and has always used the media to set the table so to speak...a master at it. Don't misconstrue that point...he has done it for cause and done it well...with no ill intent. Be it making a point about a player or a situation or to deflect something.

 

His first presser was not good and a few of the major college media guys, Mike DeCoursey for one said as much. His first one and constant repeating of "six years ago" and so forth, led it more to be a situation where he was more apologizing for getting caught than showing true remorse.

 

Today, he brought the spotlight back on himself.

Seriously, invoking Ted Kennedy is laughable. I think he forgot where he was...he wasn't in Worcester, MA.

 

I have heard a few things over the last few days.

One is that Ramsey was all set to fire Pitino, because he had lied to him about various things regarding the Sypher situation. He was talked out of it primarily by Jurich, and then Ramsey basically told him that for him to keep his job, he had to hold a presser and apologize. That is what brought on the first press conference, and I think Ramsey is on record saying that he told Pitino to consummate the presser.

Ramsey also wanted all the facts and if he finds Pitino has not been truthful he will be fired.

There is some speculation about money and the University of Louisville Athletic Association...was any ULAA money used as hush money.

Was Tim Sypher given unwarranted bonuses?

Was RP paying Sypher hush money and when the asking got to high did he then claim the extortion filing.

This could also entangle Jurich.

Tick....tick....tick....tick....tick....tick....tick.....

Has Pitino's outburst given Sypher's defense an out to push for a change of venue?

 

Steve Pence is a good lawyer if you want a quick fix and get a plea deal and shut everyone up...however, they are up against a psycho who will do her time if necessary. RP could use a good publicist however.

Agree with RRR...RP is a control freak and he has lost control of the media.

Absoultely he should have! But if Sypher hadn't extorted him, and weren't now on trial, this would have been a short-lived story, even if it were revealed. But because of Sypher's extortion, this is going on for months and months and months.

 

You have no idea whether he was remorseful before the tryst was revealed. There's no way you COULD know, so that's not a valid attack. I am constantly amazed at just how merciless people can be of well-known people who make mistakes.

 

You make it sound like it is her fault he screwed around, and even if she did go after him and later tried to extort him, he could have/should have said no the very first time they did the act, and none of this would be going on!

 

A real man/husband/father doesn't cheat on his wife or his family and those that do I have no respect for at all.

Couldn't his own family do what he suggested? Change the channel, turn the page?

 

Pitino's presser only gives new legs to the story.

 

 

 

 

Glad to hear recruiting is going well, though.

You make it sound like it is her fault he screwed around, and even if she did go after him and tried to extort him, he could have/should have said no, and none of this would be going on!

 

A real man/husband/father doesn't cheat on his wife or his family and those that do I have no respect for at all.

 

 

What, then, do you think of HER? She was still married when this happened, and had kids as well! You act like she's some sort of a victim! The woman has a history of dating/marrying rich men and getting them to give her money, a home, cars. She's claimed pregnancy in other "relationships" as well, and tried to get money for abortions.

 

She went to Porcini's to "give her resume" to someone to get a job at the Courier-Journal. Now seriously....who goes to a restaurant to turn in a resume? She is far from the innocent, gullible, guileless woman she portrays herself to be. I don't thinks she's mentally unstable, but she certainly has some severe "issues".

 

No one is saying he's not despicable for messing around. That's a given. But for the love of Pete! Does his family deserve all the media attention on this? I don't think so! Like I said before, if not for the extortion, everyone would have moved on by now. Instead, the media coverage is creating emotionally charged sides, which sells newspapers and advertising on websites. Yet neither Pitino's family, nor Sypher's family can move on because of the coverage.

 

You blame Pitino. If he hadn't done what he did this wouldn't even be an issue. I agree with that. But I can't bring myself to feel no sympathy for him and his family, and for Sypher's family, in having to deal with this in the media day in and day out.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.