August 28, 200917 yr From Gregg Doyel's Blog: 'Dang'(edited by Boondock) I'm starting to like Rick Pitino Not sure what that says about me -- not sure I want to know -- but in the last few days I've started to sympathize with, and empathize for, and now flat out like, Rick Pitino. His struggles in recent weeks humanized him. Didn't make him likeable, but made him human. And I like human. But for me the tipping point was today's press conference where he BLASTED the woman who tried to extort him, and then blasted the media, against the advice of his lawyers. They told him not to speak to the media, a sound legal strategy with a court date looming. He said he tried to follow that strategy, "But enough is enough." I love it. This is how we want people to react to such drama. We don't want them hiding behind publicists or lawyers, or issuing non-denial denials or "no comments." We want them to come out swinging, and Pitino just launched a series of haymakers at 'dang'(edited by Boondock) near everyone. Good for him. Good for you, Rick Pitino. All that stuff I've ever written about you or your program? Forgive me. Dead serious. Forgive me. Now win this court case and then go win 25 games this season. Just to show everyone you can.
August 28, 200917 yr From Gregg Doyel's Blog: 'Dang'(edited by Boondock) I'm starting to like Rick Pitino Not sure what that says about me -- not sure I want to know -- but in the last few days I've started to sympathize with, and empathize for, and now flat out like, Rick Pitino. His struggles in recent weeks humanized him. Didn't make him likeable, but made him human. And I like human. But for me the tipping point was today's press conference where he BLASTED the woman who tried to extort him, and then blasted the media, against the advice of his lawyers. They told him not to speak to the media, a sound legal strategy with a court date looming. He said he tried to follow that strategy, "But enough is enough." I love it. This is how we want people to react to such drama. We don't want them hiding behind publicists or lawyers, or issuing non-denial denials or "no comments." We want them to come out swinging, and Pitino just launched a series of haymakers at 'dang'(edited by Boondock) near everyone. Good for him. Good for you, Rick Pitino. All that stuff I've ever written about you or your program? Forgive me. Dead serious. Forgive me. Now win this court case and then go win 25 games this season. Just to show everyone you can. I can't believe I am agreeing with Greg Doyel, but I guess I am.
August 28, 200917 yr From Gregg Doyel's Blog: Doesn't Doyel just look at the general feeling among the public and take the opposite position?
August 28, 200917 yr Glad I didn't disappoint... I actually wouldn't think I would need to give an explanation or reason, my point seemed elementary. Crazy world I guess...:idunno: My whole point is that UK fans are always criticized for having blinders on yet when Pitino did what might be the dumbest PR move in history some fans can't bring themselves to admit it, all they can say is "I'm torn"... Crazy world... You're dead wrong with this being the reaction I have because I'm a UL fan. If you want to go back 2 or 3 years and look at threads shredding Coach Brooks at UK, you'll see I lobbied hard for rational heads to prevail and to give him a chance. I make it a point to step back and put bias aside to look at an issue objectively. Whether that be the coaching performance of the UK football coach, or the personal issues of Rick Pitino. I try to look at where they're coming from. I do that in my everyday life as well, and it's stood me well over the course of time. Empathy isn't a bad thing.
August 28, 200917 yr You're dead wrong with this being the reaction I have because I'm a UL fan. If you want to go back 2 or 3 years and look at threads shredding Coach Brooks at UK, you'll see I lobbied hard for rational heads to prevail and to give him a chance. I make it a point to step back and put bias aside to look at an issue objectively. Whether that be the coaching performance of the UK football coach, or the personal issues of Rick Pitino. I try to look at where they're coming from. I do that in my everyday life as well, and it's stood me well over the course of time. Empathy isn't a bad thing. I remember that you were one of the few that agreed with me that Brooks needed to be given a fair shot. I remember that well. :thumb: I think Pitino has just found a situation he cannot control, and it is really getting to him. He is one of those people that has to be in control, and when the media gets a story like this, control goes out the window IMHO. I personally think he should have just let it go as it seems to me that the media was starting to die down a little on the story. Maybe the Louisville media has still been harping on it, but nationally, the story seemed to be losing some steam. I think if he just keeps his mouth shut and doesn't talk about it, that it will again lose steam until the actual trial comes around.
August 28, 200917 yr You're dead wrong with this being the reaction I have because I'm a UL fan. If you want to go back 2 or 3 years and look at threads shredding Coach Brooks at UK, you'll see I lobbied hard for rational heads to prevail and to give him a chance. I make it a point to step back and put bias aside to look at an issue objectively. Whether that be the coaching performance of the UK football coach, or the personal issues of Rick Pitino. I try to look at where they're coming from. I do that in my everyday life as well, and it's stood me well over the course of time. Empathy isn't a bad thing. And I would like to personally thank you for your efforts. Your lobbying alone may have been the voice that kept him here.
August 28, 200917 yr I remember that you were one of the few that agreed with me that Brooks needed to be given a fair shot. I remember that well. :thumb: I think Pitino has just found a situation he cannot control, and it is really getting to him. He is one of those people that has to be in control, and when the media gets a story like this, control goes out the window IMHO. I personally think he should have just let it go as it seems to me that the media was starting to die down a little on the story. Maybe the Louisville media has still been harping on it, but nationally, the story seemed to be losing some steam. I think if he just keeps his mouth shut and doesn't talk about it, that it will again lose steam until the actual trial comes around. You are right about the Louisville media vs. the National media. Everyday in the paper, there's a story about Sypher, the trial, something...On the C-J website, there's even a special section. Even I'm tired of it. :lol:
August 28, 200917 yr And I would like to personally thank you for your efforts. Your lobbying alone may have been the voice that kept him here. :lol: I highly doubt that. :lol: But, I was very vocal, because I felt that UK fans were being completely unreasonable in their expectations of ANYONE in his situation. I also thought they should count themselves lucky to have him, given the situation he took on. At the time, UK fans accused me of supporting him because I was a UL fan and we'd win every season as long as he was there. Looks like they underestimated both Coach Brooks AND me.
August 28, 200917 yr You are right about the Louisville media vs. the National media. Everyday in the paper, there's a story about Sypher, the trial, something...On the C-J website, there's even a special section. Even I'm tired of it. :lol: Then do what the master told you to do, don't read it, turn the channel etc.:ohbrother:
August 28, 200917 yr Then do what the master told you to do, don't read it, turn the channel etc.:ohbrother: I do. What's your point?
August 28, 200917 yr And I would like to personally thank you for your efforts. Your lobbying alone may have been the voice that kept him here. Do you have anything to contribute to this thread? You complain about unfair treatment to UK fans and then when someone shows that they are just thinking rationally and not biased you make jokes to dismiss their point without ever making one of your own.
August 28, 200917 yr You're dead wrong with this being the reaction I have because I'm a UL fan. If you want to go back 2 or 3 years and look at threads shredding Coach Brooks at UK, you'll see I lobbied hard for rational heads to prevail and to give him a chance. I make it a point to step back and put bias aside to look at an issue objectively. Whether that be the coaching performance of the UK football coach, or the personal issues of Rick Pitino. I try to look at where they're coming from. I do that in my everyday life as well, and it's stood me well over the course of time. Empathy isn't a bad thing. Your right, now that I think about it I can think of many times that you have spoken out or disagreed with something to do with UL...
August 28, 200917 yr Dumbest PR move in history? I don't think so, and it was quite obvious to see where Rockmom was coming from without having to believe that she was defending any of the actions Pitino has had in the past. That comparison to UK fans and their blinders makes no sense. Your right, I seen where she was coming from before she posted it... Sorry you didn't get the comparison to UK fans and the criticism they get for having blinders on...
August 28, 200917 yr Your right, now that I think about it I can think of many times that you have spoken out or disagreed with something to do with UL... I have no blinders. I don't attack UK and UL, I stick up when I think that people are wrong. You may not pay attention, though, as you've obviously either not read my posts carefully, or you have decided that no matter what I support, it must be biased because I'm a UL fan without bothering to read them. I'm not losing sleep over it, because I know how I post, and I'm fair.
August 28, 200917 yr I know how I post, and I'm fair. Not to interrupt this little spat, but I find this humorous in a thread about Pitino's press conference. Sounds far too close to "everything is a lie... .except what I told you."
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.