Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Xavier Henry quote on ESPN today...

Featured Replies

UK hasn't been in the national spotlight over the last decade like UCLA, UNC, and Duke. If you're in the spotlight, more people hear about your program. JMO.

 

A good point, but for a kid who has a future in the NBA you would think that he would have a love for the game and a want to be educated in the history of the game. To not know any history of one of the top programs (history wise) in the country is surprising. Then again he may just be so focused on getting to the NBA that the history doesn't appeal to him. Either way I wouldn't mind seeing him in a UK uniform next year.

  • Replies 86
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good point, but for a kid who has a future in the NBA you would think that he would have a love for the game and a want to be educated in the history of the game. To not know any history of one of the top programs (history wise) in the country is surprising. Then again he may just be so focused on getting to the NBA that the history doesn't appeal to him. Either way I wouldn't mind seeing him in a UK uniform next year.

 

I honestly think a large number of kids today aren't that worried about the the tradition or history of the schools they play at. It's all about ME and how quick I can get to the NBA.

I honestly think a large number of kids today aren't that worried about the the tradition or history of the schools they play at. It's all about ME and how quick I can get to the NBA.

 

I agree with you, and I wasn't saying that he should be awed by the history of UK, but I just found his quote surprising.

Newsflash: 99% of all US kids are idiots.

 

j/k (sort of)

Newsflash: 99% of all US kids are idiots.

 

j/k (sort of)

 

Wow...:rolleyes:

It is naive to think that any kid outside of the state of Kentucky knows anything about the tradition of UK basketball. Especially a kid from Oklahoma.

C'mon! I don't buy it! What's one of the first things any UK fan will say about UK Basketball?

 

I guess I'm one of the "realistic" ones.

I personally could care less if he knows anything about UK's tradition or history. All I care about is can he contribute to the program and represent the university in a respectful way.

I personally could care less if he knows anything about UK's tradition or history. All I care about is can he contribute to the program and represent the university in a respectful way.

 

:thumb:

Aren't any UK fans shocked by "I don't know anything about the program's history"?

 

Why would they be shocked? Most players of his level play because it's a meal ticket, not because of history or tradition. Shoot, I work with someone that played college ball that couldn't tell you what conferences UK or UofL are in, or who won the National Title this past year.

I honestly think a large number of kids today aren't that worried about the the tradition or history of the schools they play at. It's all about ME and how quick I can get to the NBA.

 

That's my thought as well. I think kids that are expected to get to the NBA growing up, honestly think more in terms of who can get me to the NBA quickest, or what program. Some of the guys fall in love with the schools once they get there, but I don't think many are in love with the "schools tradition" when they're preparing to head to that university.

Doesn't shock me at all. He hasn't set foot at UK once. He hasn't seen us play a big game in the Tourney in his memory. Why should he?

 

That said, I think that's what the visit will do for him if and when he visits the campus.

It is naive to think that any kid outside of the state of Kentucky knows anything about the tradition of UK basketball. Especially a kid from Oklahoma.

 

I think that because UK hasn't been in a FF in 11 years does contribute some to a lack of luster, but I think it's naive to think that most high school basketball players are not well aware that UK is one of the best programs in the history of college basketball. We're not talking about chess players here, we're talking about basketball players. Are you saying kids outside of their home states don't know anything about UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Florida, Indiana. I've lived in 8 different states and have kids and adults work for me and almost everyone of the knew about UK basketball.

I think that because UK hasn't been in a FF in 11 years does contribute some to a lack of luster, but I think it's naive to think that most high school basketball players are not well aware that UK is one of the best programs in the history of college basketball. We're not talking about chess players here, we're talking about basketball players. Are you saying kids outside of their home states don't know anything about UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Florida, Indiana. I've lived in 8 different states and have kids and adults work for me and almost everyone of the knew about UK basketball.

 

I have people who know they are a historical program just like football players know Notre Dame. However that doesn't mean anyone can recite the Title years, remember big games, or know who won the Heisman in '57.

I'm sure most kids don't know how great Nebraska used to be in football too!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.