Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Xavier Henry quote on ESPN today...

Featured Replies

Here is my friends facebook status, although I don't know where he got it from: Just received word Xavier Henry likely will commit to UK in the next 48-72 hours and Patrick Patterson sadly will remain in the draft. Thanks for the awesome two years, wish you would come back.

 

I don't really believe this, just saying that he did hear it from somewhere...

  • Replies 86
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been thinking about it for a while and there is one thing that UCLA and UNC have that UK doesn't. Individual Name recognition. Let me explain:

 

UNC is thought of when you hear the names: Michael Jordan, James Worthy

 

UCLA comes to mind when you hear the names: Kareem Abdul Jabaar (Lew Alcindor), Bill Walton

 

Kentucky, in it's long running history of great teams, doesn't really have one of those names that equated into NBA superstardom. I don't think Duke does either.

 

Even if talking today's superstars, they either skipped college (Bryant, Lebron, Garnett), or became greater NBA stars than they were noted of in college (Dwayne Wade was great at Marquette but relatively unknown outside of his conference until the NCAA tourney, Carmello was only at Syracuse for one year and few recall his association with the school)

 

Anyone else have any thoughts?

 

 

Kinda like everyone knows Sam Bowie because he was taken over MJ.

I started thinking. Rex Chapman would qualify wouldn't he. Big name and then was successful in later in life also. Maybe not 6 championships successful but successful.

I started thinking. Rex Chapman would qualify wouldn't he. Big name and then was successful in later in life also. Maybe not 6 championships successful but successful.

 

He never made the All Star game I don't think. Mashburn had a much better career but he never achieved that status of: "I know who that is" among the basketball kids of today.

Prince and Rondo are both well-known, but they are mostly role-players on great teams. Also, I don't know how many people associate them with UK, other than UK fans.

You could have said that about every member of the group in the last decade or so.

 

:thumb:

Since UK really hasn't been top 10 in the past 10 years then I am not surprised from the high school kids or today. I bet if he would of been a senior around 96' he would know about UK's tradition.

I just hope he adds on the the tradition and gets it back to that status.

 

Really? Two years in this decade they were the #1 team overall going into the tournament. May want to check your facts.

Really? Two years in this decade they were the #1 team overall going into the tournament. May want to check your facts.

 

My fault, I didn't mean any one individual year, just not consistently. UNC, Duke and some other top programs have been in and out of the top 10 every year for the past ten years or close to it. This is more of the intention I was going for.

My fault, I didn't mean any one individual year, just not consistently. UNC, Duke and some other top programs have been in and out of the top 10 every year for the past ten years or close to it. This is more of the intention I was going for.

 

UK has been in the Elite 8 more recently than Duke.

 

UNC missed the tournament in 02 and 03.

 

Duke went out in the first weekend of the tournament in 07 and 08. Since their '01 title, they've only gone past the sweet 16 once (2004).

And most fans can tell you that they have a lot of wins and a lot of titles. Are all 16-18 year old players of the game fans of the game? I play blackjack a ton. I mean a ton. I can't tell you who the best player is now, who the best ever player is, or who invented it. I can tell you when to double, split, stay, and surrender though.

 

Yes because that is a good comparison.:rolleyes:

I've been thinking about it for a while and there is one thing that UCLA and UNC have that UK doesn't. Individual Name recognition. Let me explain:

 

UNC is thought of when you hear the names: Michael Jordan, James Worthy

 

UCLA comes to mind when you hear the names: Kareem Abdul Jabaar (Lew Alcindor), Bill Walton

 

Kentucky, in it's long running history of great teams, doesn't really have one of those names that equated into NBA superstardom. I don't think Duke does either.

 

Even if talking today's superstars, they either skipped college (Bryant, Lebron, Garnett), or became greater NBA stars than they were noted of in college (Dwayne Wade was great at Marquette but relatively unknown outside of his conference until the NCAA tourney, Carmello was only at Syracuse for one year and few recall his association with the school)

 

Anyone else have any thoughts?

 

 

Here are my thoughts.

 

 

Everyone knows who Duke is because everyone hates Duke. Duke has more players in the NBA than any college with 14 former Duke players currently on an NBA roster. Duke also has more former players playing in the the NBA playoffs right now with 8. Look it up, these are facts. Everyone knows who Duke is. I know everyone on here hates Duke but Duke also has more wins this decade that any team in college basketball AND every time they play they are on tv NATIONWIDE whether it be ESPN, CBS, or FoxSports on Sunday night. Don't act like that......

Here are my thoughts.

 

 

Everyone knows who Duke is because everyone hates Duke. Duke has more players in the NBA than any college with 14 former Duke players currently on an NBA roster. Duke also has more former players playing in the the NBA playoffs right now with 8. Look it up, these are facts. Everyone knows who Duke is. I know everyone on here hates Duke but Duke also has more wins this decade that any team in college basketball AND every time they play they are on tv NATIONWIDE whether it be ESPN, CBS, or FoxSports on Sunday night. Don't act like that......

UK has claimed stats like that before, but you are missing the point. Who are the STARS in the NBA from Duke?

Here are my thoughts.

 

 

Everyone knows who Duke is because everyone hates Duke. Duke has more players in the NBA than any college with 14 former Duke players currently on an NBA roster. Duke also has more former players playing in the the NBA playoffs right now with 8. Look it up, these are facts. Everyone knows who Duke is. I know everyone on here hates Duke but Duke also has more wins this decade that any team in college basketball AND every time they play they are on tv NATIONWIDE whether it be ESPN, CBS, or FoxSports on Sunday night. Don't act like that......

 

Don't act like that? I know your a Duke guy, but all he said was he doesn't think Duke has had any recognizable star superstars in the NBA ever, just like UK hasn't. That was not taking a bash at Duke, its just the truth. I mean the 96 UK team alone put all kinds of guys into the NBA and on NBA rosters. However still no superstars that everyone will remember like some guys that UNC and UCLA has put into the NBA. He was not taking a shot at all on Duke, so just an overreaction on your part on this.:thumb:

UK has been in the Elite 8 more recently than Duke.

 

UNC missed the tournament in 02 and 03.

 

Duke went out in the first weekend of the tournament in 07 and 08. Since their '01 title, they've only gone past the sweet 16 once (2004).

 

 

 

 

UNC:National Champs 05' and 09'. ACC Champs: 07'08

Duke:National Champs 01' ACC Champs-200-2003, 05' 06' 09'

 

 

I am talking about in the national spotlight such as winning these objectives. UK hasn't won a NC since 98' and only 3 SEC championships in 01',03' and 04'

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.