Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calipari to UK?

Featured Replies

Well, Calipari has proved that he can recruit with the best, and to me he sells his program better than any other coach in the country. And let's face it, before he got to Memphis, I could only name you on former player-Penny-and I'd say I'm not the only one.

 

Imagine Calipari selling Kentucky Basketball, the program with the most wins in College Basketball history, 13 Final Fours, 30 Elite 8's, 10 National Title game appearances with 7 titles, to John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, OJ Mayo, Chris Paul, Sebastian Telfair, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, or anyother recruit in the country that is top 10. Sure, he will probably get a handful of them because he's such a good recruiter, but having Kentucky on the front of your Jersey would only sweeten the pot.

 

Nothing wrong with big dreams I suppose. :p

  • Replies 135
  • Views 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing wrong with big dreams I suppose. :p

 

So you think that the recruits that Tubby and BCG got are as good as it gets for UK recruiting?

So with this done deal supposedly in place, can anyone definitively answer whether it is with Donovan or Calipari?

And let's face it, before he got to Memphis, I could only name you on former player-Penny-and I'd say I'm not the only one.

 

Memphis lost to UCLA in the national championship game in 1973. They lost to Villanova at Rupp in the Final Four in 1985. Prior to Calipari they had made 16 trips to the NCAA tournament. They were a regular contender for the Metro Conference title, along with Louisville.

 

Calipari took Memphis to the next level, but it's not like they were chopped-liver before he got there.

:thumb: Hearing the same here X.

 

It's hot and heavy and it's coming from some people who have high value contacts! But then again we all thought Billy the Kid was coming before and were proven wrong. But this is really hot right now.

Well, Calipari has proved that he can recruit with the best, and to me he sells his program better than any other coach in the country. And let's face it, before he got to Memphis, I could only name you on former player-Penny-and I'd say I'm not the only one.
Memphis has had a fine program for many years and has produced a couple of dozen NBA players, probably. Just because some are ignorant of the Tigers' history doesn't mean they don't have one.

Imagine Calipari selling Kentucky Basketball, the program with the most wins in College Basketball history, 13 Final Fours, 30 Elite 8's, 10 National Title game appearances with 7 titles, to John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, OJ Mayo, Chris Paul, Sebastian Telfair, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, or anyother recruit in the country that is top 10. Sure, he will probably get a handful of them because he's such a good recruiter, but having Kentucky on the front of your Jersey would only sweeten the pot.
Honestly, do today's players look at Kentucky' program the way some of Kentucky's fans do? To a lot of kids, especially from other parts of the country, Kentucky is just another good program, probably not on the level of North Carolina and Duke and maybe not with Kansas and UCLA.
Well, Brandan Wright had Kentucky Wall Paper growing up as a kid, Hansbrough had was a strong UK lean until the day he signed with UNC and Brandon Rush was a strong UK lean until the 11th hour when he switched and signed with Kansas.
Debatable on Rush ... he is from Kansas City and his family had ties with a big-time Kansas booster.

 

The word on Hansbrough when he was in high school (two hours from where I live) was that he was going to play for Roy Williams, whether he was at Kansas or North Carolina.

Edited by westsider

Memphis has had a fine program for many years and has produced a couple of dozen NBA players, probably. Just because some are ignorant of the Tigers' history doesn't mean they don't have one.

Honestly, do today's players look at Kentucky the way some of Kentucky's fans do? To a lot of kids, especially from other parts of the country, Kentucky is just another good program, probably not on the level of North Carolina and Duke and maybe not with Kansas and UCLA.

 

To answer your question NO.

 

UK has become what Notre Dame has become in College Football very average!

 

No kid is impressed with what happened in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's

 

It is about winning titles and making the NBA. Also about style of play.

So you think that the recruits that Tubby and BCG got are as good as it gets for UK recruiting?

 

How is that even close to what I was saying. Your list was a bit optomistic, you wanted all of his "best" Memphis players along with 3 or 4 other 5 star players in a span of how many years? I simply said there is nothing wrong with dreaming big.....

Well, Brandan Wright had Kentucky Wall Paper growing up as a kid, Hansbrough had was a strong UK lean until the day he signed with UNC and Brandon Rush was a strong UK lean until the 11th hour when he switched and signed with Kansas.

 

Hansbrough said on senior day this year that it was down between Florida and UNC. He was actually going to sign with the Gators but he went on one more visit to UNC and that is what sold him. He never mentioned UK at all during the interview.

I guess I am just ignorant because I don't study the history of Memphis, think that Calipari would bring recruits to a top program in the country and don't talk to Brandon Rush and Tyler Hansbrough daily.

 

I was simply stating that I felt Calipari sells his program better than any other country and that if he were at UK, he would bring in the type of talent that he brought in at Memphis and some of those tweeners that had UK high on their list. And as far as the information I had about Hansbrough and Rush, I read that on a Kentucky Message Board I used to get on and also got it from a friend who heard the same thing somewhere else.

 

If you don't think Calipari would recruit the same type of players to Ketucky that he has gotten at Memphis, that's your opinion, I feel differently. And had UK gotten Calipari maybe after Pitino bolted for the NBA or when Tubby was rumored to take the UVA job a few years back, I think we would discussing when banners 8, 9, and 10 were going to be hung, rather than discussing if UK should be in the tournament or if they will win the N.I.T.

What has Donovan done lately, two NIT tourney's in a row.

What has Donovan done lately, two NIT tourney's in a row.

 

That's what I was trying to say! :popcorn::clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegends64

Hope it's Callipari, Donovan, Pitino, Ford, or Pearl

 

 

 

Gosh no!!!

 

I'd rather have Pearl than Pitino !

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegends64

Hope it's Callipari, Donovan, Pitino, Ford, or Pearl

 

 

 

 

 

I'd rather have Pearl than Pitino !

 

:puke:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.