Rules ?

What is the rule on once a runner has past first base on the turn? Do they have to turn toward right side no matter what in order not to be tagged out?Or if they turn toward the field of play no matter what can you tag them out? Or do they have to give a motion that they were gonna go to second? Sorry I'm trying to help out with my girls team and was wondering?

What is the rule on once a runner has past first base on the turn? Do they have to turn toward right side no matter what in order not to be tagged out?Or if they turn toward the field of play no matter what can you tag them out? Or do they have to give a motion that they were gonna go to second? Sorry I'm trying to help out with my girls team and was wondering?

I won't proclaim to be a fastpitch rules guru but I'll use baseball rules as a reference.

If in the umpires mind the runner made any move "towards" 2nd base she can be tagged out. There is no rule that says she must turn right. She can turn left as long as its deemed to be simply coming back to the bag. There has to be a judgment made that she "started" towards 2nd before she can be tagged out.

Clyde is pretty accurate.In the umpires "judgment" ,did the runner make a move toward second.Personally,I do not want the umpire to have to make that call.

I have seen runners be taught to run through the bag,turn facing second as they stay just to the out of play side of the foul line and begin a "shuffle " or side ways movement down the line.They should not cross-over their own feet.This allows them to keep feet moving and be ready to move toward second while staying out of play.

Hope I explained that well enough for you.

Main concern is get through the first base bag ,FIRST.