February 4, 200917 yr Mad props from a very let down UK fan...I'm not familiar with the "write it down"...When did it take place It started with me picking Florida to be great the first game of the season when Noah, Horford and company won their first title. The next season it was me jumping on the Durant wagon early. Some of my best stuff...
February 4, 200917 yr You know I only coach a YMCA team but Coach Clyde needs to consider looking for some scorers vs his tallest longest athletes that he likes to recruit. At this point a 5'10" sharp shooter would be great. I would take a shrimp like Downey any day of the week.
February 4, 200917 yr I am a little older than most of you on here so I should be more mature about losing. I have done murder trials as a judge and prosecuted a movie star as a county attorney. I had a man shoot himself in front of me with a swat team during a hostage standoff a few years ago and in 2003 sat with my brother at Jewish Hospital as he died. I mention these things because I think of them as I try to make myself watch UK games now. I try to tell myself I have had worse situations. But I really cannot bear to watch a full game lately even though it is just a basketball game. When the winning shot was made in the S.Carol. game I screamed like a campfire girl. Pathetic. If they don't start winning soon, I'm going to turn to booze...or worse...Louisville!!!!
February 4, 200917 yr BCG 8 losses in Rupp in 1.5 seasons... Tubby 17 losses in Rupp in 10 seasons... I for one would take 1.7 losses a year at home right now instead of the 4+ UK is getting at the moment... Two entirely different circumstances, player personnel wise. BCG is dealing with a severe lack of any proven player in the upper classes with the exception of Meeks...a complete 180 of what OTS was given the keys to. Presently BCG is rolling out a team that is 227th in the experience category according to Ken Pomeroy...that is young. Miller maybe can contribute soon. Well, actually he is playing the best outta the rest. I disagree about Liggins. I believe he lacks to many mental and fundemental(sp?) factors that it takes Liggins lacks discipline. Is it mental? I'm not totally sure. The more I watch the more I see a wing player. He is the best PG on the roster at this stage...he is the only one who can remotely get them into transition....warts and all. The bottom line is teams have figured out that all you have to do is guard two players to beat UK. Larry Conley even said Stansbury told his players during the shootaround not to worry about anybody except Meeks and Patterson. Miller needs to start and look to score more. Harris brings nothing to the table on the offensive end, and very little on the defensive end. It is obvious that everyone outside of Meeks (and Liggins) is afraid to shoot from outside. Galloway gets in early in the first half, passes up a wide open 3, then takes a wide open 3 later in the same posession, misses.....then straight back to the bench. It's no wonder that nobody else can make a 3, they're scared of missing. UK has not found a counter to this yet, and they may not have one seriously. I agree I think Miller is nervous and should not be, I think he has very good capability with the outside jumper. Miller's shot through the first half of the year was awful because his form was bad. He would shoot on the way down on his jumper which caused him to kind of pull back...now he seems to be shooting at the apex of his jump and moving forward. I don't think he has a confidence problem as far as shooting. He has a shooting problem. He's not a good shooter at this point. I think his form is better, but I do think he is gun-shy to an extent. Does BCG remind anyone else of another former UK coach from Texas? Both brought a new style to UK. Both were stubborn in their ways. Both were decent recruiters. And we all know how Hal Mumme left town. Mumme was a gimmick, and he was not that good of a recruiter. UK has been beaten by coaches who know how to change their defense to win ballgames. Gillispe's stuborn headedness on playing half court man to man is part of the problem. Connecting on 14 three pointers is evidence eneough that it ain't working! I would like to see UK press more and keep Patterson and Stevenson in the paint more on D...not 15-18' from the basket on D. I am partial to defense creating the offense opportunities and keeping the opponents offense off guard on what to expect game after game. I agree BCG is stubborn. Not sure about pressing. One other weakness is that this team is not very quick. I think it could be a decent zone team because of their length at spots. His matchup tonight was awful. I can see where both coaches wanted to take advantage of personnel. MSU has begun to play 4 guards and Varnardo since conference play opened up and they have played much better. You can ride 21 on defense if he is taking advantage of the smaller man on defense....didnt happen....21 really hurt them tonight. His useless elbow off a rebound was the killer tonight. This team is screaming to play zone. Furthermore, the drive down wasnt that bad. This team has got to find a counter to what teams are now doing. Problem is, I dont know what you can do. They are so limited offensively. They need transition offense and they have gotten very little...primarily because their rebounding has gone south. Surprised I didnt read any Slone love tonight...call in people liked what he did. I didnt see anything. He picked up a couple of fouls...got caught on a switch that led to the 3 right before half...his man blew by him twice in the second half. I thought BCG did make one counter when he started running Meeks of a double screen when ball went to post. I also thought BCG cashed in chips in with 3 minutes to go. I didnt see any real sense of urgency...fouling to stop clock and get as many possessions as needed. I thought he should have pulled Patterson from the post and put him in the high post to clear up so much of the congestion in the paint. I really don't know what much more he can do on the offensive end. Word is the players had a verbal war in lockerroom calling each other out. I dont know if that is a good or bad thing. I think Patterson and Meeks have now seen what they need to improve on before they can move on. This team has issues and the schedule doesnt get any easier. We shall see....
February 4, 200917 yr Horrible performance tonight. But hey, Jarvis Varando is the best defensive player we've seen this season. And he gets my vote as national defensive POY at this point. He's 6'9 and blocking shots left and right, Thabeet should block 4,5 shots a game, he's 12 feet tall!
February 4, 200917 yr Heard a lot of player venting went on in the locker room after the game and the coaches just observed it. Doesn't sound like any fighting or anything but people letting other people know how they feel about things. Hopefully, it turns into a positive.
February 4, 200917 yr Two entirely different circumstances, player personnel wise. BCG is dealing with a severe lack of any proven player in the upper classes with the exception of Meeks...a complete 180 of what OTS was given the keys to. Presently BCG is rolling out a team that is 227th in the experience category according to Ken Pomeroy...that is young. Fine. So this stat is going to get better in year 3? Or 4 for that matter? All of the Tubby players will be gone by then, so that excuse will not be valid anymore. I doubt that BCG ever gets to 1.7 losses a season at home... I am sorry but I just do not see this team being any better next year, arguably worse with PP more than likely moving on. Unlike most of the posters on here that predicted a 2 year turn around when BCG was hired, I knew the program was going to take at a minimum 4 and probably 5 years to just get back to the level it was in the Tubby years. I have always said that I would rather have a great coach over a great recruiter. Recruiting to me is more of a crap shoot, coaching is not. The best coaches seem to rise to the top no matter where there are in any sport. A recruiting class can be highly ranked but not pan out for any number of reasons. I am more patient than most, and willing to give BCG 4 or 5 seasons. From a coaching standpoint though, I do not see much that gives me hope that he can deliver the level of quality that I expect. Not sure how in the modern era of basketball, the only defensive set you play is half-court man to man. Especially considering many times UK does not have the personnel to do so effectively.
February 4, 200917 yr Heard a lot of player venting went on in the locker room after the game and the coaches just observed it. Doesn't sound like any fighting or anything but people letting other people know how they feel about things. Hopefully, it turns into a positive.I'm all about that as long as it came out of the right mouth's such as Harris or Meeks and maybe Patterson. The more I think about it the worse it is because I just dont see an answer this year
February 4, 200917 yr A week to prepare for Florida should give this coaching staff enough time to develop a great game plan. If they cannot come out with a solid plan then it is time to look at where they are taking the program. This is nto only a huge game for the team but for the coaching staff and their ability to adjust.
February 4, 200917 yr Honestly, I dont think that there scared to miss....They just cant shoot. Looking at the stats, you may be right. UK's 3-point stats: Harris - 18.8% Liggins - 21.4% Miller - 21.9% Porter - 27.1% Slone - 28.6% Harrellson - 40.0% Stevenson - 42.9% Meeks - 43.5%
February 4, 200917 yr Hint: Look at Azuibuike's stats. Yeah look at his stats after more than a year in the NBDL and then a year riding the bench. Its taken him 3 years to be a productive player.
February 4, 200917 yr 1. Use your time-outs, you can't take them with you. 2. It's called a zone. Use it when you can. 3. Liggins is 21 years old, young is not his excuse. 4. The fans in Rupp are doing all they can. Maybe these guys can't be motivated. 5. The game is 40 minutes long, which means you have to play for 40 minutes. 6. Aren't assistant coaches supposed to do something? 7. The smile is starting to get on my nerves. 8. Somebody block out, Please! 9. Somebody rebound, Please! 10. This too, shall pass.
February 4, 200917 yr Yeah look at his stats after more than a year in the NBDL and then a year riding the bench. Its taken him 3 years to be a productive player. One other thing - look at his salary.
February 4, 200917 yr Maybe a combination of both :idunno: and that's not a good combination. :scared: I do think Miller can be a good shooter, he just needs to gain confidence in his outside jumper....something he can't do if he's afraid of missing, which right now I think he is. I'm no shooting coach, but it appears pretty obvious to me that Miller just needs to develop a little more arch on his shot to become a good shooter. It seems like Meeks shot a line drive type shot his freshman year as well, so there is hope for Miller, as opposed to a couple of the others whose shots are just not very fundamentally sound.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.