Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie

Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie? 114 members have voted

  1. 1. Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie?

    • Gillispie is the right man for the job.
      40%
    • Gillispie is the wrong man for the job.
      21%
    • Indifferent on progress of Gillispie
      38%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

He would average 15-18 points a game. He would start the following would be the starting lineup

 

Meeks

Crawford

Bradley

Morris

Perry

  • Replies 85
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where am I at with Billy G? The same place I was at w/ Tubby: frustrated.

 

He hasn't done himself any favors. His unorthodox ways (hard practices on game days). His abrasiveness with the media (like his stupid comment in the ESPN halftime interview vs. Ole Miss). His completely unpredictable substitution patterns. Completely embarrassing losses to the likes of Gardner Webb & VMI, and the blowout @ Vandy last year.

 

I wasn't sold on Billy G when he came, and he's done nothing whatsoever to convince me he's the man for the job. Like many, I wanted Tubby gone, but wasn't sure Billy was the right replacement.

I think Billy G is the right guy for it. You just have to give him a year or so, so he can get his own players in. Tubby is the one that Kentucky is struggling because of his lack of getting good players in at Kentucky. If we would have a true point guard and a three player that can score we would be okay.

 

I like how he coaches. He coaches with the players we have. Just wait till we get his players in here.

 

I never said that Jodie Meeks is not a good player. There are two good players on the team right now that are guys that Tubby signed. The rest are all Billy's people.

 

Jodie Meeks

Perry Stevenson

 

Harris is good but shouldnt be starting at Kentucky.

 

He would average 15-18 points a game. He would start the following would be the starting lineup

 

Meeks

Crawford

Bradley

Morris

Perry

 

Not sure what this last one was saying. First you said that Billy G would be ok when he gets his players. Then said two players are Tubby's players the rest are Billy's players. So does that mean that Billy has more players so he should start to win. I loves these kind of arguments. :ohbrother: :confused:

I said the only decent players from Tubby is Steveson and meeks and Meeks really didnt do anything as a freshman. I am just saying if we had a decent coach before Billy G we would be doing good. The Senior class/ Jared Carter is terrible.

I guess it isnt a team game. I guess his freshman year when Tubby coached here he average 8.7 points a game and now that Tubby is gone he is averaging 25 points a game.

 

Tubby right now is the reason why Kentucky is losing.

 

I wasn't aware Kentucky was "losing". Are you saying that once BCG rids himself of any Tubby players and has his own roster that UK will go on a UCLA-esque winning streak? Never losing a game for 3-4 years?

 

They're 16-6 this year...5-2 in the conference. 34-18 overall and 17-6 in the conference since BCG arrived.

 

UK is faring quite well, IMO, all things considered. Its going to take a little time to get where we want to be, but we're getting some solid teams in the process. UK had to deal with some tough injuries last year and they still did a very good job of competing. Its hard not to think "what if" about last year...what if we'd had a healthy Meeks, Jasper and Patterson all season to go with Crawford and Bradley. That team could have been pretty good...

 

You do the best with what you've got and I think Gillispie is doing a good job of that. As he gets into his tenure, next year and even moreso in year 4, we're going to get a real good idea of what kind of job he's done in recruiting and evaluating and developing talent.

You do the best with what you've got and I think Gillispie is doing a good job of that. As he gets into his tenure, next year and even moreso in year 4, we're going to get a real good idea of what kind of job he's done in recruiting and evaluating and developing talent.

 

Fortunately it will be the first time he's ever stayed at a job long enough to find out... :popcorn:

I guess it isnt a team game. I guess his freshman year when Tubby coached here he average 8.7 points a game and now that Tubby is gone he is averaging 25 points a game.

 

Tubby right now is the reason why Kentucky is losing.

 

:deadhorse:

 

Jodie was a freshman. The best thing about a freshman is that he will be a sophomore. You certainly hope they improve from year to year. I realize that you cannot give Tubby any credit for recruiting Jodie, but like it or not, he did! :sssh:

 

UK is not losing (which indicates a losing record). BCG inherited the same team Tubby had last year (substitute Patterson for Morris) and did less. Of course, there is a learning curve with a new coach, so I can't fault BCG for that AND he had some major injuries to deal with.

Fortunately it will be the first time he's ever stayed at a job long enough to find out... :popcorn:

 

:sssh::scared::laugh::thumb:

I want to see what Billy can do with the guys he's recruiting, I want to see what he can do with the guys he recruits before I throw him out the door. I'm not quite sold on his x's and o's and teaching quite yet either.

 

There is one thing that I really don't like and that is losing to temas like gardener-webb, vmi, etc. at home, UK should never lose to teams like that at home. One thing about Tubby he never nost non-conference to oppenents like them at home, his worst was Penn State a Big-Ten school.

I said the only decent players from Tubby is Steveson and meeks and Meeks really didnt do anything as a freshman. I am just saying if we had a decent coach before Billy G we would be doing good. The Senior class/ Jared Carter is terrible.

 

So, is it Tubby's fault that the starting point guard on this year's team seems to have been run off by how he was handled last year?

 

It is no coincidence that the EXACT weakness of this team is the spot that Jasper would have been filling.

:deadhorse:

 

Jodie was a freshman. The best thing about a freshman is that he will be a sophomore. You certainly hope they improve from year to year. I realize that you cannot give Tubby any credit for recruiting Jodie, but like it or not, he did! :sssh:

 

UK is not losing (which indicates a losing record). BCG inherited the same team Tubby had last year (substitute Patterson for Morris) and did less. Of course, there is a learning curve with a new coach, so I can't fault BCG for that AND he had some major injuries to deal with.

 

That is not fair. Meeks and Jasper were hurt for most, if not all, of the season.

 

Add both of them healthy to last year's team and it is a big difference in my opinion.

There is one thing that I really don't like and that is losing to temas like gardener-webb, vmi, etc. at home, UK should never lose to teams like that at home. One thing about Tubby he never nost non-conference to oppenents like them at home, his worst was Penn State a Big-Ten school.

 

11/15/01 - WKU 64, UK 52

Don't forget, if Tubby were still around, Mike Williams and Mark Coury probably would be too.

I usually make fun of people that vote the indifference category in surveys buy I truly cannot tell yet. In two years we will all know.

Fortunately it will be the first time he's ever stayed at a job long enough to find out... :popcorn:

 

True True...:lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.