Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie

Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie? 114 members have voted

  1. 1. Where do you stand with Billy Gillispie?

    • Gillispie is the right man for the job.
      40%
    • Gillispie is the wrong man for the job.
      21%
    • Indifferent on progress of Gillispie
      38%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I believe they are a tournament team, but no where did I say they were a lock. :thumb:

 

You keep stating they are a tournament team. How else should I take it??? :idunno:

  • Replies 85
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My sentiments exactly. I think people underestimated the actual rebuilding of this team. You can't look at the players here under Tubby and see anything that would make you expect great things - OUTSIDE of Meeks, who was a solid role-player until he was guided under Gillispie.

 

And you couldn't have said it better when you noted that the fans are hungry for a Final Four team and those just don't happen over night.

 

You do remember that Meeks was a FRESHMEN in the one year that Tubby coached him?

 

 

As for BCG, has not had near enough time to be seriously judged on his ability to coach at UK. As with Tubby, another indication of a jumpy UK fanbase getting concerned.

  • Author
You keep stating they are a tournament team. How else should I take it??? :idunno:

 

Would you put them in?

Would you put them in?

As I said earlier. They are right now on the good side of the bubble. Still on the bubble though...

I did not like the hire when they made it and I still don't like it. That is where I stand on the situation. The team never missed the NCAA, how are they post sanction? The other thing is yes SC might be a tourney team, if so it is another tourney team that UK did not beat this year. There is a recurring theme there for the last two years.

Go with a Kentucky guy. I wish they wouldn't have brought in Barnhart.

I don't like Gillespie. I don't think I ever will. I said the same thing about Rich Brooks, however, and he has won me over. We have to win consistenly, though. Say what you want about Tubby, but we had some darn good teams under Coach Smith and Billy G isn't sniffing that kind of success yet.

OMG 2 losses in a row FIRE HIM. Sarcasm intended.

 

He is the right man for it, give him time! It is not his fault that he has one point guard in Liggins and he is a freshman and Porter is horrible.

To clarify, I said post sanction "TYPE" team. I never said we were under or coming off of sanctions.The teams (talent wise) we have put on the floor the last 3 or 4 seasons look like teams that are in or finishing sanctions. One or two very good players and scrambling to find compatible fillers.

 

I know we have not been on sanctions for quite a while. We, however, do look like the teams that have, though. Recruiting by the past staff was hit and miss (more miss than hit in the last years) and now we are "rebuilding" as the case may be. BCG has to have 2 or 3 more seasons to prove or disprove himself and what he can or can't do.

To clarify, I said post sanction "TYPE" team. I never said we were under or coming off of sanctions.The teams (talent wise) we have put on the floor the last 3 or 4 seasons look like teams that are in or finishing sanctions. One or two very good players and scrambling to find compatible fillers.

 

I know we have not been on sanctions for quite a while. We, however, do look like the teams that have, though. Recruiting by the past staff was hit and miss (more miss than hit in the last years) and now we are "rebuilding" as the case may be. BCG has to have 2 or 3 more seasons to prove or disprove himself and what he can or can't do.

But that would imply UC and to a lesser extent IU are where they are because of NCAA sanctions. Simply not true. Try starting over with one average scholarship player and one walk on. Sorry if I don't feel any sympathy for what Tubby left behind...

I think he has made some serious stretches in recruiting so far, but that's the nature of playing catch up.

 

His PR image is at risk though. He hasn't handled himself well when times get tough recently...

 

 

I agree. He seems testy with many of the questions reporters ask, ... including his own radio coverage team. I thought that publicly Pitino and Tubby handled themselves better after losses with the media.

 

I think it only fair to give him a few years to get the players that he wants. I think he is a good coach, and while I will support him, I am kind of on the fence with him right now. I think they will finish strong, and just haven't played as well the past few games. It happens.

The two losses aren't really what has puzzled me, but rather the questionable recruiting commitments. Are any of these kids he's signed in the 8th grade going to pan out? This year's class were some catch-ups, but down the road - I have some serious doubts.

IMO Meeks would not of set any records or even be averaging 15+ if Tubby is here. I say that because Patterson would not of been here and the open looks he got before everyone found out he was a scorer wouldnt of been there. We would be an average Tubby team and in the same decline we been in the past 8+ years.

OMG 2 losses in a row FIRE HIM. Sarcasm intended.

 

He is the right man for it, give him time! It is not his fault that he has one point guard in Liggins and he is a freshman and Porter is horrible.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Right on with this one. How long was Rick Pitino at UK before he got his first National Championship?

I'd say we should give him more than a year and a half, but that's just me. It's not like Tubby was doing great things with this team during his last two seasons.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.