Conner 75 Ryle 71

Conner got out to an early lead but Ryle battled back. Crittendon had 21 and Moss had 20 for Ryle. Allison Long had 20 for Conner. Good District win for Conner, especially since their starting center, Gila Haines, did not play. She was out sick. It was a big team win for Conner.

This win just means that Conner will have everything to lose in the districts. With Crittenden coming back, probably not 100%, and having 21 I would be a little nervous. Also, how many games has Moss played?? Very young Ryle team will only get better, but I don't know if you can say the same about Conner.

Good comeback for Crittenden, only really ugly misses were with the bad left hand... The question will be - with this being the third injury to that hand in the last three years, will she be able to stay healthy and help next year.

Both schools had their moments and the rematch woll be a toss up --

Good comeback for Crittenden, only really ugly misses were with the bad left hand... The question will be - with this being the third injury to that hand in the last three years, will she be able to stay healthy and help next year.

Both schools had their moments and the rematch woll be a toss up --

Agree.

Crittendon did remarkably well with that left hand still in a soft cast that limited her grip. I checked it out before the game and her left thumb was almost rigid. She helps in ways other than scoring as well with her defense and ball handling. Ryle had far fewer unforced turnovers in this game with her in the line up.

Moss had a tough shooting night with many misses from the lane where she jumped over people and had shots roll off the rim. A "normal" night by her and she scores 30+ and this game is a win for Ryle.

Ryle also was less than stellar from the free throw line, missing 10 of 24.

Conner on the other hand knocked down free throws with very good efficiency. Long was particularly good there with 13 of 16. Haynes was out for Conner and that had to hurt them some although they still held a slight rebounding edge.

Tons of free throws in the game with 37 shot by Conner and 24 by Ryle. The difference was obviously in Conner hitting 28 compared to the 14 by Ryle. Strange game. I had the feel Ryle was overall more talented with Crittendon and Moss in their lineup, but Conner was more experienced and got some points from less than likely sources at key times.

Should be a good match up if they meet later in tournament play.

This win just means that Conner will have everything to lose in the districts. With Crittenden coming back, probably not 100%, and having 21 I would be a little nervous. Also, how many games has Moss played?? Very young Ryle team will only get better, but I don't know if you can say the same about Conner.

Ryle is young but so is Conner. So, don't understand why you think Ryle can get better but Conner can't..... I thought WVFRank had the best assesment below. I would add that Moss playing away from the basket helped Conner the most. Even though Moss is very athletic, she didn't get many rebounds becuase she was always coming in late to the boards. With our lack of height, that really helped Conner. (Conner outrebounded Ryle 37-27 without their starting center.):thumb:

Ryle is young but so is Conner. So, don't understand why you think Ryle can get better but Conner can't..... I thought WVFRank had the best assesment below. I would add that Moss playing away from the basket helped Conner the most. Even though Moss is very athletic, she didn't get many rebounds becuase she was always coming in late to the boards. With our lack of height, that really helped Conner. (Conner outrebounded Ryle 37-27 without their starting center.):thumb:

I don't think the idea is that Conner can't get better, but Ryle is considerably younger when you look at key players, and I believe the thought was Ryle had more potential to grow and get better through additional experience.

Conner has a veteran backcourt with a senior and a junior whereas Ryle starts a ninth grader and a sophomore. Conner also has a senior (although Haynes didn't play in this game) and juniors playing inside while Ryle's best inside player is a freshman and their other inside players are young as well.

Moss by the way did have 12 rebounds in the game which is just above her average over two plus years of HS play, but I think her potential to average even higher than that is there once she learns to go to the boards consistently

WVFrank...Boone started 2 freshmen and the first 3 off the bench were freshmen when they won the 9th region 3yrs ago. Three of those freshmen were 6'0/6'2/6'4 and were D1caliber. Another was a great shooter. Three of the five no longer play Bball and one moved away. Point being...times have changed so much and in this day & time you just never know what kids will do.

Per a well known HS scout...last season BC went from being ranked top 5 in the state to top 5 in the region practically overnight.

WVFrank...Boone started 2 freshmen and the first 3 off the bench were freshmen when they won the 9th region 3yrs ago. Three of those freshmen were 6'0/6'2/6'4 and were D1caliber. Another was a great shooter. Three of the five no longer play Bball and one moved away. Point being...times have changed so much and in this day & time you just never know what kids will do.

Per a well known HS scout...last season BC went from being ranked top 5 in the state to top 5 in the region practically overnight.

No doubt! The future is difficult to predict. One never even knows if the make-up of any particular team will be the same from year-to-year. For example, I know for a fact there is a possibilty of one Ryle player not living in the Ryle district next year. That type thing can happen at any school, with the sometime extreme you mentioned occasionally happening.

I don't think the idea is that Conner can't get better, but Ryle is considerably younger when you look at key players, and I believe the thought was Ryle had more potential to grow and get better through additional experience.

Conner has a veteran backcourt with a senior and a junior whereas Ryle starts a ninth grader and a sophomore. Conner also has a senior (although Haynes didn't play in this game) and juniors playing inside while Ryle's best inside player is a freshman and their other inside players are young as well.

Moss by the way did have 12 rebounds in the game which is just above her average over two plus years of HS play, but I think her potential to average even higher than that is there once she learns to go to the boards consistently

WV, I watched the video of the Ryle vs. Conner game again. I just didn’t remember Moss having 12 rebounds. She actually had 8 rebounds for the game. If you go by a team’s official book, that is usually never accurate. To be fair, it is much easier when you can look at the video tape and stop action to be accurate.

However, exaggerated stats are pretty normal for the 9th region. For example, someone will post that a girl had 6-9 assists, but when you look at the game tape she actually had 5. I understand what happens, a girl misses a wide open lay-up or easy shot and the parent just wants to give them the credit for the assist. Oh well.

I agree IBALL about the assists. It's sometimes a bit more accurate when someone other than a parent actually keeps the book; however, in most cases there is not much of a choice...since it doesn't pay very well :)

I would imagine, other than points, if there was a luxury of going back to view the tape...most stats would probably need to be adjusted.

Edited by Crunch-time
spelling

WV, I watched the video of the Ryle vs. Conner game again. I just didn’t remember Moss having 12 rebounds. She actually had 8 rebounds for the game. If you go by a team’s official book, that is usually never accurate. To be fair, it is much easier when you can look at the video tape and stop action to be accurate.

However, exaggerated stats are pretty normal for the 9th region. For example, someone will post that a girl had 6-9 assists, but when you look at the game tape she actually had 5. I understand what happens, a girl misses a wide open lay-up or easy shot and the parent just wants to give them the credit for the assist. Oh well.

I would suggest you check your "stop action" again. I don't need it. I was there and counted the rebounds myself, and I've been doing this for a LOOOONG time. At times my count on things like this does vary from the "official" book but typically not by much. And I'm not "the parent just wanting to give my child credit".

I do understand that sometimes stats people for HS teams may be young people who are new to the technique and true definition of what constitutes a rebound, or an assist (particularly open to some "funky" interpretations), or to whom a turnover should be attributed. But I've followed and scored and kept stats for BB games for a very long time, even through interpretation changes, and I KNOW what I counted for Moss...........12...........just checked my tally again.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but I saw 12 rebounds (and I DO know what a rebound is!) and that's exactly what the Ryle statistician had as well. Perhaps it's a conspiracy! :D

I would suggest you check your "stop action" again. I don't need it. I was there and counted the rebounds myself, and I've been doing this for a LOOOONG time. At times my count on things like this does vary from the "official" book but typically not by much. And I'm not "the parent just wanting to give my child credit".

I do understand that sometimes stats people for HS teams may be young people who are new to the technique and true definition of what constitutes a rebound, or an assist (particularly open to some "funky" interpretations), or to whom a turnover should be attributed. But I've followed and scored and kept stats for BB games for a very long time, even through interpretation changes, and I KNOW what I counted for Moss...........12...........just checked my tally again.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here but I saw 12 rebounds (and I DO know what a rebound is!) and that's exactly what the Ryle statistician had as well. Perhaps it's a conspiracy! :D

First let me say, whether she had 8 or 12 rebounds doesn’t take away that Ms. Moss is a phenomenal player. The Ryle team showed last night they are a force to be reckoned with in the 9th Region.

WV, imagine this weekend you are watching one of the NFL playoff games. Referee makes a call, but the coach challenges it. They go to the replay booth. Have you ever heard the referee come back out and say, “Even though the replay shows the referees were wrong about the call, we are not going to overturn the call, because we have been doing this a looooong time!”

I don’t mean this confrontationally. I just want to point out that sometimes it is the angle or the speed of the game that can cause mistakes…even to the best of us. For example, I almost gave 3 rebounds to #44 Moss, when they should have gone to #24 Williams for Ryle. I used my trusty stop action, went back and realized my mistake. I am human and make lots of mistakes. :idunno: